Button shifted F350

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Not much to a write up, but here are some pics

pcs8.png

Here are the different clock springs. The black one is the stock XL one.
pcs1.png

This is the plugs under the dash, you can see the 4 wires pulled for the digital inputs and common
pcs7.png

Another angle of the 4 pins, Arm, Upshift, Downshift, Common
pcs2.png

This is the end of the wiring harness from the clock spring that I connected my Digital inputs to.
pcs3g.png

This is where I ran the wires into the cab for all my PCS stuff
pcs4d.png

4 Digital inputs ran from the PCS into the cab
pcs6.png

Just before putting the airbag on, Dave modified this. Im guessing he connected it so the resumer button sends power to the on/off. Ill let him fill us in.
pcs5.png

Finished
digitalin.png

This is a screenshot of my Digital input screen and how its setup via programming. It correlates which input to what button, active hi or low for power and a reverse logic.
Pretty strait foward, as PCS has taken the guess work out of it. Basically was as simple as swapping wheels and hooking up wires.
Dave did modify the steering wheel as you can see in one pic. I had to hunt for a proper clockspring as the 99-01 are different from the 02 and up. The new one is from an 05.
The hardest part was getting the old wheel off.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
why not just tap the wires coming out of the bottom of the column, and not use the second clock spring?? Seems as though you could use the rt side buttons with the cruise disabled, and not have to go through all the extra work.... Just wondering :)

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
This is my next project. I had these custom made, they will work with the dash lights and illuminate blue, and then will light up when selected on.

switched.png

I will be putting them in my f650 dash.

Charles

Reaction score
why not just tap the wires coming out of the bottom of the column, and not use the second clock spring?? Seems as though you could use the rt side buttons with the cruise disabled, and not have to go through all the extra work.... Just wondering :)

Also because those are more complex to use as they aren't discrete switches but a multiplex unit instead. Each of those buttons (resume, set, coast) is simply a resistance to ground of differing values in a resistor network that the pcm reads in through an ADC. IIRC, the static value for that input is like 6.6 volts on a pull up resistor. When you hit "On" it goes to a regulated 10v. When you hit "off" it pulls it to ground, so those are easy. But the other three just drop it below 6.6 by various amounts, like 4.xx, 2.xx and 1.xx volts or something similar although the actual values slip my mind right now.

Regardless, point being, to use the other three you'd probably need a module between the two with an ADC or a voltage based trigger to output 3 discrete lines to the PCS. I don't know if the PCS has anything built in that could do that work for you, although I guess it might.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Who did you have them made by? If you can not post it, can you pm me.

I need some switches like this for my project.

Had them made by jim@OTRATTW. Was 80$ for all 4 with the mount

Charles I was waiting for you to chime in.
I recently acquired a sensor to reference boost with. I'm going to install that to tune line pressure.
Wondering if you could chime in on the MAP/MAF selection. I can only go as high as 59.5psi but I'm sure you see more then that

Charles

Reaction score
Had them made by jim@OTRATTW. Was 80$ for all 4 with the mount

I recently acquired a sensor to reference boost with. I'm going to install that to tune line pressure.
Wondering if you could chime in on the MAP/MAF selection. I can only go as high as 59.5psi but I'm sure you see more then that

I run a 60lb sensor because even though the truck makes more power higher, by 60lbs I can call for the full line and it will be good enough for the remaining boost rise beyond without banging hard at 60. If I went to a 100lb sensor I would lose good resolution at low boost and the truck would be ill-shifting around town unable to discern between say 5 and 10lbs of boost very well.

I thought about running a 75 and may still.

Looks like you did well on the buttons, but from a human factors engineering standpoint I can't help but point out that at full power those buttons will be going from 9'oclock to 3'oclock, back to 7'oclock, so on and so forth while you're skiing around at 50+mph. Good luck chasing them around that wheel to make an upshift, lol.

The old, spin, spin, spin, spin while rolling the wheel back and forth, chopping the throttle and stabbing third gear isn't going to happen IMO. If I kept my hand over those buttons I'd be putting the nose of the truck through the ditch shortly thereafter because if my left hand is at 9'oclock, I can only cut the wheel about 45 degrees left before my elbow gets caught on my side. So the first time the ass swings back left I'm going into the right ditch, lol.

Which explains the only reason I've never put shift controls on the steering area. Cars that do that also have a steering ratio that allows lock to lock to happen in like 2 revs or less. Often times much less. Our trucks are like 3 turns lock to lock. You have to move your steering hand through a huge range of motion to control the truck.

For hauling ass I would have a second set of controls that my right hand could actuate separate from the wheel that's spinning violently left and right chasing the ass of the truck.

George4

Reaction score

Not to get too far off of subject, but are you guys upgrading your MAP to read higher numbers? How high will the stock MAP read? I am intreasted because I would like to keep reading boost from my MAP on my Livewire instead of adding anouther gauge. I did not see a MAP/MAF selection, maybe I am blind. Can you post a link to where you are talking about this? Thanks

brian89

Reaction score
This is badass, love the switches, where did you get the gauge cluster with the speedo that goes to 160?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.