Buying My First Trailer

uga33

Reaction score
If the trailer is capable of 10,001+, you technically need a CDL. If its plated for 10,001+, as soon as it hooks to the truck even if it doesn't have a load on it, it's CDL territory.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Love my PJ as well... I lengthened it 4' a few years ago... Had over 18k in payload on it a few weeks ago...

Well... I was going to load a picture or two, but webshots decided to upgrade...

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Coop why don't you like the deck over? That way you don't have to worry about the fender wells getting in the way when loading wide stuff.

We've got a Tophat, the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a high deck. It pulls great and has never had an issue. I've pulled my buddys PJ, it's longer than mine but it's a low deck, I love it, except the brakes don't seem to work to well, they might just need to be serviced though.
View attachment 10325

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Coop why don't you like the deck over? That way you don't have to worry about the fender wells getting in the way when loading wide stuff.

It's harder to load a truck that isn't running and it seems to bounce more than lower deck trailers when it's empty. It is nice not having to worry about the fenders but I feel that it is top heavy with any load on it, if it was a tandem dual I would like it a lot better.

Matt

Reaction score
If it isn't too much to ask, could people post what they are paying for their trailers? I will be in the market in the next 12 months and would like to get a ballpark idea.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
LOL Harder to load a dead truck.... psh I have no idea what your saying
981A-4BD9-A2CE-5524EC0F5CA2-12483-000005F07C31E01C.jpg

7F6C-4FFA-9227-D4DF3617E461-12483-000005F093DF5275.jpg

But I do see what your saying about bouncing more when its unloaded gets annoying on freeway over passes where there is a nice un even junction in the road and it starts bouncing.

It's harder to load a truck that isn't running and it seems to bounce more than lower deck trailers when it's empty. It is nice not having to worry about the fenders but I feel that it is top heavy with any load on it, if it was a tandem dual I would like it a lot better.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a 24 drop deck gooseneck. Wifes grandpa has a 24' deck over and it pulls well but I have no need for something that tall. The drop deck will fit my trucks but can also haul just about anything else from a bobcat to a low truck or car easily. Plus the center of gravity thing mention earlier.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I thought as long as you are under 25k you're fine? Anything over requires cdl

Check with your state, but NC and FL are both the exact same. 26,000 gross on the truck and trailer combo, but no more than 10 k on the trailer. I thought it was 26 k as well, until state trooper with blue lights right past the weigh station that I blew by informed me differently....

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I've hauled a big tex 30+5 loaded with round bales many a times, pulled GREAT!

Never pulled a PJ but after looking at there site, looks like a nice haul

WHY NOT

Reaction score
We have had two Trailer Man trailers and both pull/ pulled very nice. My new one is a 30ft 20K hydraulic dove tail (21+9ft) very cool trailer. I had 19K on the back of it last week and it did great. I do have a CDL though and need it since the trailer alone weights 7500lbs

sprayjock

Reaction score
In Texas if your over 25k and the vehicle is not registered for that heavy you will just get a nasty overload ticket. If your vehicle and trailer combo are registered for 25k then you better have a CDL or things get ugly.

Denver

Reaction score
OP is from California and so am I. If you are not for hire (no DOT or CA #'s) then you'll need a non commercial A license if you have a bumper pull rated over 10K lbs. or a in bed hook up trailer (goose or 5th wheel) over 15K lbs. Anything under that a regular C will get you by. However if you have a goose or 5th wheel between 10K to 14,999K you need an endorsement on your class C. I have a Non Commercial A because I have a 5th wheel toybox over 15K GVRW. It takes 2 days to get (written test one day then driving the other) and you'll pass with ease. When I took my test I couldn't believe how many people suck at the driving course. I'm afraid to drive on the road with 18 wheelers now. Also to if our vehicles are a regular pick up with a pick up bed with a GVWR under 11,500 we don't have to declare weight but if we have a truck with a bed other than a regular bed and had a GVWR over 10K you need to declare weight.

Last edited:

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Get a deck over. I love the extra room for loading equipment. If your just going to load cars then i guess you wouldnt need it but its nice to slide pallets and other stuff on it.

cory151

Reaction score
I would go 18foot with a 2 foot dove tail making it a 20 foot trailer with 14,000 pound gvw. As fast as brand I have herd good things about big tex. Also are you looking at a bumper pull or a goose neck?

Sent from a bus 6 feet in the air

Bumper pull.

cory151

Reaction score
OP is from California and so am I. If you are not for hire (no DOT or CA #'s) then you'll need a non commercial A license if you have a bumper pull rated over 10K lbs. or a in bed hook up trailer (goose or 5th wheel) over 15K lbs. Anything under that a regular C will get you by. However if you have a goose or 5th wheel between 10K to 14,999K you need an endorsement on your class C. I have a Non Commercial A because I have a 5th wheel toybox over 15K GVRW. It takes 2 days to get (written test one day then driving the other) and you'll pass with ease. When I took my test I couldn't believe how many people suck at the driving course. I'm afraid to drive on the road with 18 wheelers now. Also to if our vehicles are a regular pick up with a pick up bed with a GVWR under 11,500 we don't have to declare weight but if we have a truck with a bed other than a regular bed and had a GVWR over 10K you need to declare weight.

Great info, on my license it says "CLASS: C M1"
Then on the back it says
"CLASS: C- Veh w/GVWR <26000, No M/C; M1-2whl M/C, Mtr-drvn Cycle,Scooter RESTRICTIONS:none."

From what I gather under 10K bumper pull with a regular pickup bed and Im fine?

Last edited:

Denver

Reaction score
Great info, on my license it says "CLASS: C M1"
Then on the back it says
"CLASS: C- Veh w/GVWR <26000, No M/C; M1-2whl M/C, Mtr-drvn Cycle,Scooter RESTRICTIONS:none."

From what I gather under 10K bumper pull with a regular pickup bed and Im fine?

You'll be fine.

Latest posts

Members online