Caltracs

JMart

Reaction score
Subbing to read Tarm's post.

I want to get some caltracs but right now I would rather break traction then break something else.

AllanB

Reaction score
Subbing to read Tarm's post.

I want to get some caltracs but right now I would rather break traction then break something else.

I hate breaking my tires loose. Most of the time, that is the difference between a race won or lost.
I am wondering what is the Pro's & Con's of the OUOs vs Caltracs other than just the price. I have heard that the Caltracs do nothing for axle wrap, but this is of their site.
Complete bolt-on, no cutting, welding, or modifications to OEM suspension.
•Keeps axle from rotating, helping maintain pinion angle.
•Improves 60ft times.
•Full preload adjustability.
•Eliminates spring wrap-up.
•Powdercoated gloss black finish.
•Full color Installation Guide.
•PSCA, NMCA, NHRA approved

So don't get me wrong, I have looked at the OUO set up and it is a really nice set up. Just wondering if it is a better setup that the Caltracs and what makes it better. I surely don't mind paying the price difference, if it will put the power to the ground better than the Caltracs will.

JMart

Reaction score
Im not saying anything bad about any of em. I just know that traction is my current weak link and as soon as I fix that I will be finding my next weak link. And with my luck that will be the transmission.

AllanB

Reaction score
Im not saying anything bad about any of em. I just know that traction is my current weak link and as soon as I fix that I will be finding my next weak link. And with my luck that will be the transmission.

Yup, been there. I am more than likely going to sale the truck that is in my avitar. It has a BTS with less than 10k miles on it. It won't be going with the truck haha. I just gotta send both of them back to BTS so they can make a few changes, send them back, then I am set to go.

JMart

Reaction score
Yup, been there. I am more than likely going to sale the truck that is in my avitar. It has a BTS with less than 10k miles on it. It won't be going with the truck haha. I just gotta send both of them back to BTS so they can make a few changes, send them back, then I am set to go.
There ya go! I have a BTS in the plans but its still pretty far away

You from DFW? Where abouts. i lived in Denton for 8 years.

I live in Dallas but in Denton County, north of Addison, south of Plano and east of Carrollton. Its a weird little outstretch of Dallas.

AllanB

Reaction score
What are you guys running for preload? My only issue is they can be kind of noisy. Other than that they work. If money was a non issue I'd choose my OUO's over anything. But you can't beat the price of the Caltracs.

My truck is a 08 2wd with a 5"drop on the rear. After searching through OUO's web site, I don't think they have any that will fit on my truck, because my leaf springs are now under my axle. But it was worth a try, they sure do make a lot of nice equipment.

TARM

Reaction score
How much wrap are you experiencing with under the axle leaf setups? normally that cuts it dramatically. It still can be there as we have the weight and power.

Can you weld or do you have access to someone that will do it for you free or at low cost?

I am guessing that given its lowered the way it is this is street only so articulation is not big on your list of priorities but lean sway resistance and planting the tires to the pavement are. Of course pinion angle stability.

I am working on doing that writeup on the traction bars but I am trying to finish something on PW window first. But I will get it done and posted hopefully soon. Sorry its taken a bit.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I ran a set of them for awhile. They work well, but were not right for me. The truck would go from completely unloaded to towing 14k - twice a week. The bars would restrict significant suspension travel when pre-load was set at unloaded height (no trailer). If I set them while loaded (trailer attached) they would rattle like hell on the road when not towing. I could not find a happy balance and eventually sold them.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I ran a set of them for awhile. They work well, but were not right for me. The truck would go from completely unloaded to towing 14k - twice a week. The bars would restrict significant suspension travel when pre-load was set at unloaded height (no trailer). If I set them while loaded (trailer attached) they would rattle like hell on the road when not towing. I could not find a happy balance and eventually sold them.

This was my only complaint with them as well. The constant adjustment needed for different conditions. I always liked to not preload them much when DDing because the truck will encounter some articulation from time to time. And when you leave them loose they are real noisy.

jwlandry

Reaction score

Glad posted that. I was interested in them but I don't want to deal with the pre loading all the time.

What do you run now Dave?

907DAVE

Reaction score
I wish I would have kept them. But I might make a set of traditional traction bars when the time comes.

AllanB

Reaction score
How much wrap are you experiencing with under the axle leaf setups? normally that cuts it dramatically. It still can be there as we have the weight and power.

Can you weld or do you have access to someone that will do it for you free or at low cost?

I am guessing that given its lowered the way it is this is street only so articulation is not big on your list of priorities but lean sway resistance and planting the tires to the pavement are. Of course pinion angle stability.

I am working on doing that writeup on the traction bars but I am trying to finish something on PW window first. But I will get it done and posted hopefully soon. Sorry its taken a bit.

Not sure how much axle wrap I am getting. Yes, you are right, articulation isn't on my list of priorities, planting the tires and preventing wheel hop is. Also correct, with it lowered this is not a truck I use for work. Yes I can weld. I think I might have found the answer I am looking for. This is from Eliment Injection, his carnage may have helped me.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82319
No hiurry on the post. When you post it I will read it for sure. Still traying to learn what I can.

Latest posts

Members online