Camshaft

lggraver

Reaction score
I just go done doing my lifters in my truck and my cam didn't have any marks or even signs of wear on it. (its also only has 50,000 on it) My buddy truck was making the same noise mine was so this week we tore it all down and found # 3 and 7 lifter's on the driver side had flat spots. I looked at the cam and saw where those two lifters came out of on the cam it looks like it has pitting on it. He doesn't want to replace the cam because he says he's ran worse cams than that on stock car motors. I just wanted to get some other peoples advice so I can tell him what others say. I told him I'd replace it and be done with it but he has a pretty set mind on just running it. I used a feeler gauge to see if I could feel the pitting with it and I couldn't. You can see that they are there but you can't feel them. My question is, is how long do you think it will go before I completely wears out? I hate to do all this work and in 10,000 miles I have to rebuild his whole motor.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Levi

pdumont01

Reaction score
Do the cam. Why go so far and Cheap out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lggraver

Reaction score
His truck has close to 200,000 on it. The thing is the marks are only on one side of the cam. I think he doesn't want to spend the 600 plus on a new cam and if we are going that far we might as well put bearings in the bottom end.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Personal truck I'd roll with it, customer I would tell them they need a new or used camshaft. Never seen bearing problems in the lower end too much.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
His truck has close to 200,000 on it. The thing is the marks are only on one side of the cam. I think he doesn't want to spend the 600 plus on a new cam and if we are going that far we might as well put bearings in the bottom end.
My rod bearings were worn to the point i wanted them replaced at 228k miles. But this ole girl has seen 4500rpm more times than i can count.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

lggraver

Reaction score
I just don't want to be changing the oil in it one day and it looks like someone dumped glitter in it.

Latest posts

Members online