CB's in your 6.7

cowtown

Reaction score
Cowtown-a man after my own heart with the Galaxy 10meter part lol. I keep tossing around putting a cb in my pickup, even with mine being a '00, I am having a hard time finding a spot for one to go, with a big heatsink on the bottom, and on the back, it makes it harder. I want to put another Galaxy 94hp in it if I put one in at all. I've thought floor mounted on it's end in front of the center console facing up, but then there's the possibility of my son kicking it all the time. Decisions decisions...

Yeah I am kicking myself for going with the Uniden. Will have to revisit that desision after I do some other upgrades and get a real radio. :doh:

I would put it there if I could. No kids in the front seat, problem solved. :D

Twinjracing

Reaction score
I have the center seat I'm thinking about taking the lower cup holders off the tash anf mounting mine there not sure yet now that the weather has got a little warmer I'm going to work on it i hope.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Just curious, could you mount a CB behind the center console? I know it would be a PITA to change channels, but at least its out of the way. I'm 6'4 and planning on a center console truck, so mounting the CB where Cow has his is out.

cowtown

Reaction score
Just curious, could you mount a CB behind the center console? I know it would be a PITA to change channels, but at least its out of the way. I'm 6'4 and planning on a center console truck, so mounting the CB where Cow has his is out.

I think it would depend on how you use your radio. If you will always be on the same channel then that should work fine. BTW, I am 6'5'' and the radio doesn't interfere with leg space at all. Of course that is subjective to how far back your seat is.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I sit all the way back, all the way down and would probably leave the radio on 19 most of the time. I guess I would have to mock it up and see what its like before permanently mounting it.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
well you guys have given me some good stuff here. and brought to my attention that my 2 radios are old and outdated lol.

Looks like i have to go shopping for a new radio before i do anything

got any suggestions?

Jason

Reaction score
For use when traveling etc, road trips, and the sort, I would want a little more power. Connex 3300hp, or a Galaxy 33hp2, both are great radios, and do about 50 watts. They will have your upoer/lower sideband and all that junk I don't care about, and you probably don't either. But the extra power comes in handy in heavy dx areas, or if you get turned around and are away from the main roads, and trying to get directions etc. Both radios use a standard 3 prong plug, like a cobra or uniden, and both will do great with a magnetic mount antenna if you chose to go that way. Make sure swr's are in check of course, both will have echo controls (a little echo is necessary, I hate a radio without a little echo. Boring and dull sounding, echo gives a little extra punch to the audio, talkback, variable power, etc. These radios will have a heat sink on the back for the mosfet final sections in them and will need a little more clearance deoth wise. You can get them converted for cb use, aligned, ready to go for about $250.00 to your door.

TripleE44

Reaction score
$250 for a CB radio? I didn't even know that existed. I thought the $150 cobras were expensive. I've just got a POS $90 uniden....

jdc753

Reaction score
If you have no sunroof what does the overhead console look like? I have mine mounted in the roof console on my 05, took a bit of work to get it in there though, but I like that it is out of the way.

If I had to put it down low in the console...

2011-Ford-F-450-interior-dashboard-15.jpg

I would try and squeeze it in right up at the dash, just past the chrome ring around the cup holders, should be able to drop it in at a 45° or if that doesn't work into the side of the map pocket should work good.

Could always go fleet driver style and slap it up on the top of the dash. I've seen a few dodge boys do this though so I don't know if you want to be associated with that type...

Jason

Reaction score
Chexk out walcottcb.com, the radios I am talking about are in the 10 meter catergory on their site. I've bought from them in the past and have been extremely happy.

cowtown

Reaction score
Chexk out walcottcb.com, the radios I am talking about are in the 10 meter catergory on their site. I've bought from them in the past and have been extremely happy.

I'll check them out for sure.

Now I have to decide on modding a 10m radio for the public range or find room for a 2nd radio. :fustrate:

Twinjracing

Reaction score
You have already seen mine so this is more for others looking for the same info. With the full console there really aren't many options. As you know I originally had mine in the console which sucked trying to drive and getting to it. I considered two other locations, console side pockets or modifying the console to put it where the cup holders are.

Yeah I contemplated putting it there but preferred this location. I am 6' 5'' and there is plenty of room. This install location offered the least modification to the truck as well.

I think it would depend on how you use your radio. If you will always be on the same channel then that should work fine. BTW, I am 6'5'' and the radio doesn't interfere with leg space at all. Of course that is subjective to how far back your seat is.

I mounted mine in the same spot I have no problem and I'm 6'3" I still need to hook up. Where did you guys get power from???

Twinjracing

Reaction score
Bad pics I know but the only thing I have right now.

Sent in my sleep @ work

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366714800998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366714800998.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366714810683.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366714810683.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.