CCV - Can't take the Smell

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Instead of building a catch can, I simply bought a t-strainer.

t-strainer_filter.jpg

These come in all sizes. I found one big enough to do the job. Plus they are cheap.

I had that same set up when I first did my CCV, but it still smelled. I dont care about the oil drip, but I want to get rid of the smell, meaning back to a stock location.

Did you pipe it back to your intake after that?

CurtisF

Reaction score
Hmmm not a bad idea. Where did you find it?
Local shop here in Denver had them.

I had that same set up when I first did my CCV, but it still smelled. I dont care about the oil drip, but I want to get rid of the smell, meaning back to a stock location.

Did you pipe it back to your intake after that?

Yep, it's routed back to the intake. It catches most of the oil, but not all of it. I just left it with the mesh strainer. Thought about adding some of those scrub bush things in there to trap a bit more oil.

neverkickn

Reaction score
It wouldnt evacuate them, just keep intake turbo and intercooler clean

Don't do that. It would be the same as plugging the vent and that would allow the crankcase pressure to build to the point that it will go somewhere in the form of a blowout leak.

genie144

Reaction score
So I am still not sure what route to take... I liked the idea of plumbing into the exhaust but would be concerned about exhaust back pressure causing crank case pressure spikes... I like the idea of a strainer routed back into the intake - but have the same concern...

Sam

CurtisF

Reaction score
So I am still not sure what route to take... I liked the idea of plumbing into the exhaust but would be concerned about exhaust back pressure causing crank case pressure spikes... I like the idea of a strainer routed back into the intake - but have the same concern...

Sam

There's no backpressure with the strainer routed back into the stock location to the intake. With the engine running I can pull the hose off the inlet of the strainer and stick my hand there and feel a vacuum.

Plus the oil that collects at the bottom of the canister shows me it's trapping most of the oil too.

Here's a picture I took of it a while back when I had stuff apart:

photo-1.jpg

Managed to mount it under the hood right behind the intake tube. The hose runs around and back under to the stock CCV inlet in the intake. Easy to see and it's right there to empty out when I change the oil.

JDub

Reaction score
Not that anyone has posted the option, but BD Diesel offers a CCV filtration kit. It doesn't work :badidea:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
IM trolling in here but. what you guys use to plg the hole in the airbox>?

Arisley

Reaction score
IM trolling in here but. what you guys use to plg the hole in the airbox>?

Simple as a short piece of hose with a sparkplug stuck in the end and clamped down. Or you can do it pretty and get a piece of 3/4 round stock or wooden dowel and clamp it there.

Tom S

Reaction score
On the OBS I have used a heater hose cap.

Pocket, is there a place around here to look at one of those strainers?

Arisley

Reaction score
Mine is very similar to Pocket's, it runs from the valve cover to a homade 3" PVC catchcan mounted on the frame rail. From the catch can, back to the intake.

The bottom of the catch can has a drain plug on it. I drain it when I do an oil change. Usually get a teaspoon or so out of it.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Plus the oil that collects at the bottom of the canister shows me it's trapping most of the oil too.
Managed to mount it under the hood right behind the intake tube. The hose runs around and back under to the stock CCV inlet in the intake. Easy to see and it's right there to empty out when I change the oil.

How do the inside of the CAC tubes look with that?

I had my tubes apart a while back for something else and was really amazed how oily they were with the stock CCV.

CurtisF

Reaction score
How do the inside of the CAC tubes look with that?

I had my tubes apart a while back for something else and was really amazed how oily they were with the stock CCV.

I still get a little bit of oil. It's not bad. The t-strainer catches most of it. At some point I may add some scrubber brushes inside the trap to see if that will hold more of the oil. But for now it works just fine.