CCV to exhaust modification

Wayne

Reaction score
Okay guys, I've been wanting to vent my crank case to my exhaust pipe for since before I even bought the truck. ***If you try this mod, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK as I don't have all necessary data yet to validate it's effectiveness.

truck specs: It's an '08 CCLB SRW (build date 01/07) with SCT Livewire loaded with innovative tunes (usually the extreme street), No Limit IC pipe and elbow, Elite basic EGR delete, Flo-Pro 4" downpipe back no muffler aluminized exhaust, modded stock intake (has yet to move the filter minder even a little bit), 6" fabtech lift, fabtech floating traction bars, & 37" toyo m/t's.
2011-12-21_13-24-05_760.jpg

^as I bought it
2012-02-16_14-23-02_341.jpg

^as it sits now

Extra reasons to try this: I bought it completely stock back in december with 168000 miles through a wholesaler in Texas after the original owner traded it in. I have all the receipts from the owner for all the repairs ever made. The truck is very well taken care of, and I'm not worried about the miles as it'll probably have a built drivetrain within the next year or so anyway. dealer receipts from back at 98000 miles on showed repairs of glow plug wiring harnesses leaking oil from valve cover holes, which was the case when I bought it. One of the seals on a valve cover had popped out due to crank case pressure. After I fixed this, and ran it on the extreme street tune it actually lifted the dip stick, and spit oil on the under side of my hood. Yeah, it breathes a little extra heavy out of the CCV.

Engine has perfect power balance, runs smooth, starts easy, everything you'd expect from a well taken care of engine with that kind of miles. crank case pressure problems are solved ever since I routed the air through a 1" heater hose down the frame rail under the back of the cab. You can see a slight haze out of the end of the hose after a hard run, and it stinks. I was annoyed at seeing/smelling the venting so here's what I tried.:
ccvpipe1.jpg

ccvpipe2.jpg

ccvpipe3.jpg

ccvpipe4.jpg

The pipe I welded in is a 3/4" ID X 4" galvanized pipe. Before I attached the hose I had somebody rev the engine to 3500 rpms gradually as well as snap off idle to check pressure/vacuum on both the hose and pipe to make sure I wouldn't push exhaust into the crank case, or suck the oil out the tail pipe. there was almost 0 pressure out the pipe at all times, and seemed to begin to pull a slight vacuum at high rpms. I'll be hooking up a vacuum/boost gauge soon to see exactly what it's doing at all engine loads and exhaust velocity. So far, all the stink and haze is nicely mixed with exhaust gasses, and out the tailpipe just how I like it. Dipstick stays where it belongs, and glow plug harnesses stay put. more info to follow as I get pressure readings.

Note: If anyone else tries this, keep in mind that different crank case pressures and exhaust velocities, as well as venturi designs play a big role in getting things just right, so if the system isn't tested after it's put together you could be asking for the kind of trouble I stated above.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Cool mod Wayne. Now do one from each of my valve covers. :)

idkillinit

Reaction score
I'm very curious to see what kind of.vacumme it has under.heavy load. It's a great idea. I'm tired of.smelling oil to and my harness also is leaking. I'm waiting to fix it untill I figure out what I'm doing about ccv

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I really want two.of these in my dowbpipe to.clean things up aand get rid.of the smoke. Maybe ill put a map sensor in a valve cover and see what it.does before and after

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
gene (weweld) did this on the 7.3 at least 7-8 years ago. it worked. the biggest problem i see is the exhaust temp melting the line going to it. the venturi effect is a simple one.

idkillinit

Reaction score
Also if you put towards the end and used.maybe a brass fitting so it disipates heat even faster along with the silicone hose it should be money. I'm gonna copy this as soon as I get home. If you don't mind Wayne. Lol

Wayne

Reaction score
Go for it man. Fwiw, it's made some full effort dyno runs with no signs of the heater hose getting too hot. Time and some testing will tell of it's effectiveness. I'm not looking to sell any parts here. Just throwing out my idea and reporting good initial results.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Great idea. Drag cars have been doing this for years with open headers. They even have a one way check valve so you can push exhaust back into the motor.

Kind of like these.

headerbreather.jpg

WoodBoy

Reaction score
That is a pretty good idea using a check valve as preventative aid, but with the angle of the bung, and assuming all exhausts that this is used on will be free flowing, I would think it would create a vacuum before anything else

Dzchey21

Reaction score
From.what I understand gassers run the check valves to.prevent sudden crank.case pressure spikes if there is a backfire.

We don't really suffer from.that but insuppose a check valve wouldn't hurt

03f3507.3

Reaction score
Great write up! Only problem ive ever had with doing this in the past is when you start pushing oil into the exhaust it starts to burn it off and smokes a good amount...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Great write up! Only problem ive ever had with doing this in the past is when you start pushing oil into the exhaust it starts to burn it off and smokes a good amount...

Should just be vapor tho. Maybe that's a good.point.tho to have it at the middle of the exhaust so its not.as.hot and wont burn it

3brorce

Reaction score
Okay guys, I've been wanting to vent my crank case to my exhaust pipe for since before I even bought the truck. ***If you try this mod, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK as I don't have all necessary data yet to validate it's effectiveness.

truck specs: It's an '08 CCLB SRW (build date 01/07) with SCT Livewire loaded with innovative tunes (usually the extreme street), No Limit IC pipe and elbow, Elite basic EGR delete, Flo-Pro 4" downpipe back no muffler aluminized exhaust, modded stock intake (has yet to move the filter minder even a little bit), 6" fabtech lift, fabtech floating traction bars, & 37" toyo m/t's.
Extra reasons to try this: I bought it completely stock back in december with 168000 miles through a wholesaler in Texas after the original owner traded it in. I have all the receipts from the owner for all the repairs ever made. The truck is very well taken care of, and I'm not worried about the miles as it'll probably have a built drivetrain within the next year or so anyway. dealer receipts from back at 98000 miles on showed repairs of glow plug wiring harnesses leaking oil from valve cover holes, which was the case when I bought it. One of the seals on a valve cover had popped out due to crank case pressure. After I fixed this, and ran it on the extreme street tune it actually lifted the dip stick, and spit oil on the under side of my hood. Yeah, it breathes a little extra heavy out of the CCV.

Not to derail but how are your BP readings on Xstreet or Xrace without a wastegate? I want to delete the EGR just not sure if I want to gate it right away. Thanks

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Ive got mine set at 550kpa (includes Barometric), which is 80psi and dont set off my alarm on ex street, that is 66psi after you subtract Barometric

Latest posts

Members online