CCV to exhaust modification

chromehound

Reaction score
I like this idea and the check valve idea. I'm hoping you come back with some positive results and any changes you make. I hate the smell from the CCV re-route and have been looking for an idea on something diffrent before I do mine, now I have some ideas to mull over.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
for all you guys looking to try this at home, if you look at waynes pic, his angle is approximately 70*, give or take. you dont want to go much lower than that, as it will physically pull the oil out of the motor.

been there, done that. my dads demo motor didnt last long after it sucked the oil out.

on our motor, we use a 383 stroker full roller for our derby cars, we have found that approx 55* is the max before it starts pulling oil out. it doesnt come out fast enough to see it, but when you look at the top of the car after the heat, we found the top was covered is oily residue, and it was a 1.5 quarts low. this was in a 13 min heat.

we have since went to where wayne is now. at about 70*. in our motor, it creates a vacuum that barely reads on the guage, will completely eliminate pressure inside the motor, and we no longer lose oil.

if you have a chimney in your house, open the flu, and stick your hand in there. thats what your after. you dont want to pull air out fast, you want the slight vacuum to make the air go where you want it to. for reference, the air blows 90* to a chimney.

just some of what we have learned.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I like the look of this! Mine still makes a mess and this would probably do away with all the crap I have been dealing with.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The only thing I would worry about is exhaust pressure overcoming crank case pressure and then over pressurizing the crank case and not to mention the soot. Not saying it won't / doesn't work but that's what I would be on the look out for.

04FX4

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Is there any chance that it could pressure up back into the engine?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
in our experience, no.

if it was 90*, yes its possible. it would catch the opposite lip of the hole, and deflect back into the ccv.

but tipped like that, it will pull. this is why angle is important. tipped to much, creates to much vacuum, tipped not enough will pressurize it.

like i stated before. this is why we settled on approx 65-70*. its what worked on our gassers. the flip side, we were not turbo'd etc etc. just a 383 spinning about 6500.

i dont know for sure, but i would imagine there would be more exhaust flow in our 6.4.

the other part of it, is if he would have cut the end of the pipe, to sit flush with the side of the exhaust, soot might be a problem. maybe, i dont know. but if he left the end of the pipe whole/complete/uncut, and just stuck it in there, it would have its own "deflector". that would also force the exhaust to do almost a complete 180* to go back into the ccv.

just some observations.

04FX4

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I guess it would not be hard to find out if it did, I was going to just vent mine out to good OL mother nature but want to see how this goes for you.

Last edited:

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I guess it would not be hard to find out if it did, I was going to just vent mine out to good OL mother nature but want to see how this goes for you.

That's how I have mine currently. Other than the smell from the haze, it's not bad. The 90* elbow I have for the turn out has no oil residue on it. I actually had mine disconnected from the oil canister when my cab was off for my Elite turbo and there wasn't any signs of oil at the beginning of the hose.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
That's how I have mine currently. Other than the smell from the haze, it's not bad. The 90* elbow I have for the turn out has no oil residue on it. I actually had mine disconnected from the oil canister when my cab was off for my Elite turbo and there wasn't any signs of oil at the beginning of the hose.

Must be nice.

EvilTwins

Reaction score
I am currently going thru the same CCV deliberation. While my cab was off I figured I would do a one year evaluation on my CCV system that includes a Racor CCV4500 canister in line from my breather to the intake. Upon inspection I found oil all over my intake tract. It was dry for a while and seems to be not as effective as I hoped. The 4500 is suppose to clean the oil saturated air and send the "cleansed"air into the intake and trap the oil. My thought is that the vacuum from the pre turbo intake is too much for the canister and is causing more syphoning than in intended.

I just might vent the output from the canister to atmosphere especially with Jeff and others having issues with air filter/minder restriction. It would definitely turn my set up into a Wet Vac. It might even eliminate some of the smell.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
hey wayne.

when you get done with dpc, and get some time to reflect, did you ever hook up a guage to this setup of yours??

wondering if you ever did any testing after you put it on.

Latest posts

Members online