Center Bearing Replacement

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
It appears to have spit the bit. Any suggestions or tips for replacement??

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131

F350-6

Reaction score
Dang that looks rusty.

Is there any play in the bearing or just the metal tab sticking out? If you look in there, are the little rubber fingers all broken?

I just went with the local parts store variety when I did mine. Had to cut the bearing off the shaft with an air cut off tool and drive the bearing on with a piece of pipe.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Took mine to a drive line shop and picked it back up ballanced and ready to go back in. Easier that way.

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
I wasn't able to determine if the rubber fingers were broken, but I will say it makes a funny noise going down the road. Sounds like a small rabbit getting taken by an owl. LOL

I'm going to call some shops about getting a one-piece and doing the work. I'd prefer to do it myself, but with it being my DD, I'd just as soon not spend an entire day on it. It is pretty rusty, and I'm betting the original CB. And, with almost 200K on it, it's probably a real PITA.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is the output shaft yoke cracked? Looks like it in the picture. I did mine last summer. My truck had 250k. All original universals(they were still fine) and carrier bearing. I jackex with mine for.about a whole day. Had the shaft out quick but I beat on the pinion yoke u joint for five hours. Heat, pb, ruined a whole gaggle of impact sockets trying to beat the caps out. Finally wound up cutting the.trunions out. The bearing was cut off my driveshaft. Then I used a grinder with a wire wheel and cleanex the bearing seat up. Then pound the sob on. I left the dust slinger off cuz mine was full of dirt and.crap.

Good luck and dont be afraid to get mad at it!

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
Called two local drive train shops and got quotes for about $80-125 (depending on cost of the CB) to do the replacement. That's with me dropping the DS and taking it to them, which I will do. Considering the labor is less $50, I can't really "afford" to do it myself. :shrug:
Considering I don't have a press or cut-off tool, seems like a no-brainer.

TyCorr, I see what you are looking at. I'll take a closer look, but I don't think it is. Thanks for pointing it out!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Called two local drive train shops and got quotes for about $80-125 (depending on cost of the CB) to do the replacement. That's with me dropping the DS and taking it to them, which I will do. Considering the labor is less $50, I can't really "afford" to do it myself. :shrug:
Considering I don't have a press or cut-off tool, seems like a no-brainer.

TyCorr, I see what you are looking at. I'll take a closer look, but I don't think it is. Thanks for pointing it out!

No problem man! Your plan sounds like the best one. It can take a looooong time without.a torch to get rusted shafts apart.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
hey scarlet, did u do that driveline carrier brng yet ? I hope not, cause that little piece of tin tape is there to keep the rubber attached to the bracket while you mount it to the crossmember..... you might wanna drop the line and check that brng before you replace it......

if it's rough, yeah, but if it spins smooth, don't bother....

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Have fun. On mine we ended up cutting it off with a grinder then we had to cut the Damn bolts off that hold it to the bracket. Those little clamps that hold the nut in place will break. Especially if they're that old.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Yea just take it to the drive shaft shop.. Takes 10 min for them to do it.. I had them do the center bearing all new u joints and balance. All spicer long life parts for $250

Amazing how much smother it was under acceleration.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea just take it to the drive shaft shop.. Takes 10 min for them to do it.. I had them do the center bearing all new u joints and balance. All spicer long life parts for $250

Amazing how much smother it was under acceleration.

I ***kin abhor takin rusty shti apart and thats all you'll get in IL. For.that reason alone.Im going to have the dr shaft shop make me a one piece with long.slip yoke when I take.my lift off. I got mine.pretty.damn nice with my homemade, adjustable carrier bearing.bracket but I can do better. Imagine that! Never have.to ***k with one of those again!

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
hey scarlet, did u do that driveline carrier brng yet ? I hope not, cause that little piece of tin tape is there to keep the rubber attached to the bracket while you mount it to the crossmember..... you might wanna drop the line and check that brng before you replace it......

if it's rough, yeah, but if it spins smooth, don't bother....

Thanks! I did check it and it was fine.

I may still have it replaced in a bit, just for preventive maintenance, but it's working just fine, currently.

Thanks for all the help and replies!!!

Latest posts

Members online