cknox121's slow build

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Since BB turbos need almost no oil you have to run an oil restrictor to make sure you don't over oil the bearings and push oil out the seals. Precisions come with a restrictor installed but most Garretts do not. In the GT4088R in my compounds I'm running a .060 restrictor.

From Garrett's website.

Garrett ball bearing turbochargers require less oil than journal bearing turbos. Therefore an oil inlet restrictor is recommended to achieve an oil pressure of 40-45psi entering the turbocharger for optimal performance. The oil outlet should be plumbed to the oil pan above the oil level (for wet sump systems). Since the oil drain is gravity fed, it is important that the oil outlet points downward, and that the drain tube does not become horizontal or go "uphill" at any point.

Last edited:

Cknox121

Reaction score
Since BB turbos need almost no oil you have to run an oil restrictor to make sure you don't over oil the bearings and push oil out the seals. Precisions come with a restrictor installed but most Garretts do not. In the GT4088R in my compounds I'm running a .060 restrictor.

From Garrett's website.

Garrett ball bearing turbochargers require less oil than journal bearing turbos. Therefore an oil inlet restrictor is recommended to achieve an oil pressure of 40-45psi entering the turbocharger for optimal performance. The oil outlet should be plumbed to the oil pan above the oil level (for wet sump systems). Since the oil drain is gravity fed, it is important that the oil outlet points downward, and that the drain tube does not become horizontal or go "uphill" at any point.

Good info! Thanks! I spoke with Morgan about this as well.

He has a .060 I believe. I checked the inlets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the HP came with one, cause the inlet looks funny compared to H&S turbo. I will check the LP later.

Worst case is turbo(s) has to be sent out for s rebuild...

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
Just send them to me ill rebuild them and put them to good use😊👍

Wait a little bit, setup will be coming off, but I want to get revised tunes, drive it a while and then dyno/track maybe once or twice.

on the lp as well ?

If it does then the previous owner ran it with out one. Cause that seems to be were the oil was coming from.

Cknox121

Reaction score
So, pulled the oil feed fittings and measured them. Hp turbo on the left = .04 LP turbo on right = .06
518b1593a26bbb774be93bf598726078.jpg

I cleaned all the piping Saturday, including inlet and out.lets of turbos. Pulled the crossover pipe no oil, pulled the hot side piping no oil...WTF? Lol were did it come from? I have put about 100 miles since I cleaned everything.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Those look huge to be oil restrictors. .060 is less than 1/32 of an inch. Can I see the other side of the fitting?

Last edited:

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I believe the 35 series and down have a restrictor installed from the factory and the 40 series on up do not.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I believe the 35 series and down have a restrictor installed from the factory and the 40 series on up do not.

I installed them already lol.

The one on the left is restricted. THe inlet is -4 or -3 AN and is noticeably larger then the outlet (pictured).

The brass fitting (low pressure turbo) is the same all the way through and is not a "restrictor" if you ask me.

The HP has a tiny port inside, assuming this is the "factory" restrictor?

THe LP also has this port. Guess I will call Garrett on Monday to find out.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Straight from ATP Turbo website "-3 Oil inlet fitting for GT Ball Bearing turbos. For GT28/GT28RS/GT30/GT35R with built-in oil restrictor (0.035 hole size). Custom machined part. Output is -3 AN male flare. Use with any of our -3 oil feed line assemblies"

I have the -4 AN I believe (inlet) and measuring the outlet on my caliper its .04 (I dont have halves) so Im going to say its the correct .035 oil restrictor fitting for the HP turbo.

Now the LP I don't believe is correct, as the turbo already had a black film on the compressor outlet, as well did the cross over pipe...

Assuming ATP Turbos website pictures are accurate, then the LP turbo inlet fitting I have is huge.

Jonnydime do you have picture of your restrictors?

Think I need to order the following for the LP turbo GT42R: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-022&Category_Code=GRT

And this for the HP turbo GT35R: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-021&Category_Code=BCS

This is whats currently on the HP: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-029&Category_Code=BCS

Currently on the LP: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-006&Category_Code=GRT

Cknox121

Reaction score
Started working on this. 71/59 going in with 60% nozzles
7f75014fae6c2cdd300b4ed0469e44d8.jpg

I'm in need of 60% nozzles, up pipes, waste gate kit, and a down pipe. Let me know if you can help out please!

webb06

Reaction score
Started working on this. 71/59 going in with 60% nozzles
7f75014fae6c2cdd300b4ed0469e44d8.jpg

I'm in need of 60% nozzles, up pipes, waste gate kit, and a down pipe. Let me know if you can help out please!

You should just buy my tow x kit....I've got everything except the nozzles all in one package 👍

Latest posts

Members online