Common rail conversion using duramax parts

co04cobra

Reaction score
Yeah, or if you don't want to go the d-max route why not a 6.4? They are not nearly as limited as a 7.3. The PCM allows for basically any rpm, injectors and pumps are simple to come by and cheap. Plenty of aftermarket support and even off the shelf billet heads if you want to he squirrelly. And on top of that it's a bed plate engine and has proven to be competitive with any platform out there. Plus tuning through h&s mcc is a snap.

Where and who is running the billet heads? Street or competition only? PM me if you want.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Not to start a pissing match AND I'm not a 6.4 guy, but I seen a few blown head gasket and cracked piston threads.

sootie

Reaction score
Not to start a pissing match AND I'm not a 6.4 guy, but I seen a few blown head gasket and cracked piston threads.

roight....you are also talking to the guy who studs 6.4s every day of the week without issue. how many times do you see a studded 6.4 puke afterwords? right-nothing like 6ohs

what does cracking pistons have to do with number of head bolts per cyl???!!!

Reaction score
Just saying, haisley, schieds and any of the big name duramax's aren't any better or ahead of us. That means something when a ford comes to a pull with a powerstroke in it and can compete with anything in the country.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Showing my lack of experience about the 6.4. I feel better with 6 studs per cyl. Cracked pistons is an issue, I guess, for stock. 6.4's

Reaction score
Showing my lack of experience about the 6.4. I feel better with 6 studs per cyl. Cracked pistons is an issue, I guess, for stock. 6.4's

Your fine. 6-12mm studs or 4-16mm studs... They both do the job.

We have the cheaper black diamond gaskets in the pull truck with standard arp 2000 studs that have 4 torques on them to the lower torque spec with zero issues. Never had a gasket leak yet.

Yes stock pistons crack, but most people are far from stock when your talking a competition vehicle.

And the block for a 6.4 is much stronger than a 7.3 unless you do a bed plate or cgi block.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I could've swore LBZ's were known for cracking pistons too...

They do tend to crack with high combustion temps (high EGTs) - but they can also make good power on stock pistons if you keep those temps in check - for instance I chose to make power with compounds on my LBZ - still rocking stock pistons at 130K miles and compounds of some variety have been on it for 100K miles. Delipped pistons, LB7 pistons, oval bowled pistons (my choice when I do upgrade), all take care of the cracking issue related to temp.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Your fine. 6-12mm studs or 4-16mm studs... They both do the job.

We have the cheaper black diamond gaskets in the pull truck with standard arp 2000 studs that have 4 torques on them to the lower torque spec with zero issues. Never had a gasket leak yet.

Yes stock pistons crack, but most people are far from stock when your talking a competition vehicle.

And the block for a 6.4 is much stronger than a 7.3 unless you do a bed plate or cgi block.

What size stud the 6.0 use?

JDub

Reaction score
Zane had duramax injectors in 7.3 cylinder heads like 5 years ago and pretty much had the electrical side of things ready as well. But as others have said in this thread, if you figure the labor and costs that go into this you can just swap a built dmax into the truck with half the headache. It was a fun thought, but was given up on long ago...

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Yea only reason I'm thinking of something like this is the fact I already have a forged piston, bed plated full built 7.3 sitting here that will never be competitive in a 2.6 class with heui injection as it stands now. Originally built the engine for a p pumped pro stock truck but they have since dropped the class here in western New York and I don't have the time to head to the mid west to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yea only reason I'm thinking of something like this is the fact I already have a forged piston, bed plated full built 7.3 sitting here that will never be competitive in a 2.6 class with heui injection as it stands now. Originally built the engine for a p pumped pro stock truck but they have since dropped the class here in western New York and I don't have the time to head to the mid west to pull.

Now see, that's a problem. Honestly the simplest way would be to go p-pump. But if you got you heart set on commonrail, there was a whole system for sale on another thread. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

The rules in the 2.6 class prohibit you from running mechanical injection?

I know there is nothing in the rules against it for the COTPC, PPL, NHRDA, or the NADM.