compresson testing

01stroked

Reaction score
I would like to do a compression test on my spare engine this week but im gettting ppl telling me u can do the test just by turning over the engine with a breaker bar 4 or 5 times and others are telling me i need to hook a starter to it... not sure witch is right :shrug:

onebad7.3

Reaction score
well i have never done it before that why im asking.. thanks onebad7.3

Have all of the glow plugs out when you do it. I wipe the oil away from the glow plugs before I take them out so no oil runs into the cylinder. Post the numbers up after you do the test.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
You'll need a starter hooked to it. Barring it over won't spin it fast enough to give an accurate compression number. They'll all be low.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I have probably all the wire harnesses you will need for hooking batteries up to the starter, let me know when you get the tester..

Arisley

Reaction score
Have all of the glow plugs out when you do it. I wipe the oil away from the glow plugs before I take them out so no oil runs into the cylinder. Post the numbers up after you do the test.

How are you going to get compression numbers with the glow plugs removed?

onebad7.3

Reaction score
How are you going to get compression numbers with the glow plugs removed?

I test compression through the glow plug hole. I take all glow plugs out, turn fitting into cylinder #1, turn engine over 6 times get result, and do the same with the rest until I'm done. With all the glow plugs out the only one that will have compression is the one i'm testing making the engine turn easier.

Homesteader

Reaction score
I did my compression test with glow plugs in and all glow plugs removed. Results where the same. Like it was mentioned it just makes it a little easier on the starter .

juniort444e

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do this today on a motor i just bought.

Can someone post up what size fittings and gauge and so on.. to check the compression properly.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Gauge at least 400psi, and somehow you'll need a checkvalve in the line so the gauge doesn't fall on every cycle, and I *believe* I read the gp threads are m10x1.0

Latest posts

Members online