compresson testing

4duggan

Reaction score
Thanks bud. I just found a thread on the nation that someone used a kit from Harbor Freight. Is that kit any good. Its only $30

When Marty did mine , we used harbor frieght . First kit failed , we drove to York Pa. returned the failed one and bought 2 more . Next one did the job.
Think he had the flex hose from grease gun between the adapter and the gauge.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Yeah. I just looked on harbor's site and it should work. And the video from the nation, the guy put a piece of pipe about 8 inchs to reach in there. So looks like i have to run and get a kit tomorrow. Thanks for all the info guys. Helps alot.

Still worried about replacing the exhaust manifolds and oil cooler.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Just type in compression in search box. I believe the title says compression something or other. He has five videos in it too. So you know its the right thread when u see all those vids.

Sent from Uranus..fool

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I found it. The linked kit has a comment saying it doesn't work for a 95 psd. Says the fitting needs to be longer ?

juniort444e

Reaction score
What that comment is talking about, is how harbor has the swivel fitting into a 90* popon type thing. If you watch those videos the guy in it shows exactly what to do to fix what the comment on harbor freight complains about.

You have to add a piece of small pipe so it makes life easier when you attach the fitting to the immatation glow plug.

01stroked

Reaction score
Well finaly got around to testing my spare engine and 7 cyl are 350 or greater. One is 150 :fustrate:

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
I have the same one, but you will have to adapt a fitting for the 7.3 GP hole, besides it works better.

The fitting is a 10MMX1MM O-ring boss thread, I bought a diesel comp gauge from harbor freight then used an 1/8" grease gun whip to connect to the adapter I bought from my parker hydraulic store, which goes from the 10mm to 1/8" female.

Last edited:

juniort444e

Reaction score
That kit will work. But like what was already said, you need to make an extension for the quick connect. If not it wont fit past the rocker arms and push rods and injectors.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Marty's Diesel sells a kit for this for those that don't have a place to source the parts to build one.

Any idea on the price?

I'd buy from Marty if it's a good price... God knows I have used/viewed enough of his videos! LOL

ToMang07

Reaction score
I have the same one, but you will have to adapt a fitting for the 7.3 GP hole, besides it works better.

The fitting is a 10MMX1MM O-ring boss thread, I bought a diesel comp gauge from harbor freight then used an 1/8" grease gun whip to connect to the adapter I bought from my parker hydraulic store, which goes from the 10mm to 1/8" female.

That kit will work. But like what was already said, you need to make an extension for the quick connect. If not it wont fit past the rocker arms and push rods and injectors.

Well, I ended up getting the one at HF... the one I got has more pieces.... but was still only $25. It says it has the 10mx1m adapter..... do I still need the grease gun adapter thingie?

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
If you don't do the "grease gun thingy" I think you will find it difficult to get that adapter in the GP hole, just too tight.

The nice thing about the grease whip, is you can use the quick disconnect fitting from your kit 1/8" NPT tied to the whip then the M10X1 by 1/8"NPT on the other end, and use the whip to turn the adapter in the hole, kid of like the idea of r&ring the GP's with a piece of tubing.

Last edited:

ToMang07

Reaction score
Let's say....

you were taking a block apart and putting new rods in...

If I were to do a compression of the original rings, (before dissassembly) and they came up good, would you still replace them?

What is the "acceptable range" of compression in the cylinders?

Arisley

Reaction score
If I can touch a ring, it is getting replaced. The cylinder is also getting at least honed out. There are some things you gotta do. I have been the poor boy that has to scrap together a motor, I could still scrap together enough to buy a set of rings, bearings and a new oil pump.

Might have just plain water in the motor instead of antifreeze. And a hunk of chain tying the motor down instead of a new motor mount. I may not even check the roundness of the cylinders because I don't want to know. But it will get a new kit and new oil pump.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online