Construction and Gains of Ported Intake Manifolds

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Due to some concerns raised over these various aftermarket intake manifolds, I wanted to get a fresh thread to discuss the various units on the market.

Here's the information I think we are all looking for:

-How are the units disassembled?
-How are the units are ported?
-How are the units are assembled?
-Flow and performance gains?
-Application of epoxy for airflow or construction?
-Offerings with EGR components removed, vs. EGR compliance?

I'd like to get as much information poured into this thread about any ported intake manifold, regardless of shop.

Here's a quick rundown on the Apex based off your questions. If you need any more info, feel free to ask.

Q:How are the units disassembled?

A: We use a CNC mill to disassemble the manifolds

Q:How are the units are ported?

A: 5 axis cnc machine runs a plotted program in the runners. The rest of the manifold is ported by hand. Manifold floor is countersunk for the new hardware.

Q:How are the units are assembled?

A: Fully tig welded in a custom mount to ensure no warping and proper fit. Machine cutting for disassembly allows for a precise and accurate fit during the re-assembly stage. Manifold lids are machine tapped for custom ORB fittings. Manifold floor is countersunk for the new hardware.

Q:Flow and performance gains?

A: N/A

Q:Application of epoxy for airflow or construction?

A: Apex gets material added to it for porting/airflow purposes. We do not use epoxy

Q:Offerings with EGR components removed, vs. EGR compliance?

A: To make it preform, I couldn't justify leaving the EGR system intact. If I have customers looking for a SMOG compliant manifold, I use Elite's.

SootPowered

Reaction score
I would have to disagree slightly with the last question. While it's true that a intake with an stock "appearing" EGR vavle will not flow as much air as a intake with no EGR system there are still a few little tricks that one could throw at the guys who desire the EGR system for smog checks, and still provide them with a exceptional flowing intake.

colo_dually

Reaction score
Here's a quick rundown on the Apex based off your questions. If you need any more info, feel free to ask.
. . .

A: To make it preform, I couldn't justify leaving the EGR system intact. If I have customers looking for a SMOG compliant manifold, I use Elite's.

Thanks for posting up.

Shame you couldn't get an EGR compliant manifold to come together. If you could PM me a link, or price to the unit you recommend for those applications, I'd appreciate it.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I would have to disagree slightly with the last question. While it's true that a intake with an stock "appearing" EGR vavle will not flow as much air as a intake with no EGR system there are still a few little tricks that one could throw at the guys who desire the EGR system for smog checks, and still provide them with a exceptional flowing intake.

Yeah, not from everything that we have seen with these things apart. What I wan't out of my setup and what you want may be two different things though. Still always good to have a different perspective

PGreenSVT

Reaction score
Very informative, thanks to Soot Powered and Absolute both for posting what they have. I think this will help anyone considering one of these manifolds and the general knowledge is always a good thing.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Q:How are the units disassembled?

A: We use a CNC mill to disassemble the manifolds

Q:How are the units are ported?

A: 5 axis cnc machine runs a plotted program in the runners. The rest of the manifold is ported by hand. Manifold floor is countersunk for the new hardware.

Q:How are the units are assembled?

A: Fully tig welded in a custom mount to ensure no warping and proper fit. Machine cutting for disassembly allows for a precise and accurate fit during the re-assembly stage. Manifold lids are machine tapped for custom ORB fittings. Manifold floor is countersunk for the new hardware.

Q:Flow and performance gains?

A: N/A

Q:Application of epoxy for airflow or construction?

A: Apex gets material added to it for porting/airflow purposes. We do not use epoxy

on a Performance based manifold...why is it N/A to post gains? :shrug:

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
We've seen flow numbers for the GoGo and Soot Powered manifolds, it would be nice to get the numbers on the others.
Getting feedback from someone putting a manifold on their truck is not the same comparison. You would need to install each of the manifolds on the same truck without changing anything else to be able to compare dyno numbers... and I don't think that would be very likely to happen.
Comparing flow bench numbers seems like a good comparison and would be a lot easier and cheaper to do.

PGreenSVT

Reaction score
Agreed. I'd like to see some flow numbers for the Absolute Apex. I don't think it could do anything but help them with sales to have it flowed and post the results.

colo_dually

Reaction score
I agree that flow numbers between the manifolds, is going to be the most level playing field for the comparison between units. #6 and #8 cylinder values (since we know those flow the least) should be enough. Along with input flow rate/pressure.

Snake

Reaction score
Since the soot Powered manifold has actually been flow benched and numbers are out there, 340 cfm I believe,......

Any confirmation of that number? Is that for #8 only, or combined for #6 and #8? How many inches of water?

Last edited:

TooMuch03

Reaction score
Any confirmation of that number? Is that for #8 only, or combined for #6 and #8? How many inches of water?

I posed a similar question when I was told that the average flow was was exactly 341.something something something. This is the answer I received, and Matt does all his testing at 28 inches I am told.

There was less than a 2 cfm differance between all cylinders if that answers your question with the average flow being 340 cfm.

Snake

Reaction score
Having seen the inside of the Gogo Stage 1 (obviously), I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around how the Soot Powered can flow almost 100cfm more to #'s 6 and 8. I just don't see it as being possible.

What were the baseline numbers? If they're the same as Doug's, that's a 100% increase in flow to those two. Again, having first hand personal experience ("eyes on") with the Stage 1, I can't see how it's possible to increase flow more.

I'm not calling b.s. (yet).

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
its because it has more internal work done, and is reshaped to the point where the air flow path is much smoother with less turbulence.