contribution/balance codes?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Aren't there seals on the hpo rail to where it goes in the top of the injector? I know it's a different motor but the dt466s at my old job, some have the top hpo rail and I know there was Teflon seals on them. And when you got a seal kit it would come with a bunch of seals and you would have to make a measurement and then that measurement would tell you what thickness seal it needed or if you needed to stack seals (don't ask what to measure, I forgot LOL) I have taken apart 6.0s but never noticed if they had those seals on the hpo rail, maybe take a look and see if there are seals and if they are make sure the seal isn't cracked or missing

strokin6L

Reaction score
Last thing I did was swapped the hpo rail off my parts engine that has like 50k miles on it. But that did nothing...same issue. Tad longer crank before it fires, rough shaky idle and either a P0269 code or either a P0278 code. It won't throw both codes together. If I go out and start it up....it'll throw code for #3 consistently. Then if I go out and start it up 2 hours later...it'll throw #6 code consistently and not #3. Just weird. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst....maybe a bad cylinder or two...idk. It goes to the dealer next Tuesday to have my buddy check it over.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Used the ford IDS to check relative compression. Every cylinder was good...not one was low. I had it running with the valve cover off. Checked movement of push rods, rocker arms and valve springs. Everything looked good...nothing out of the ordinary. The balls of the push rods sit perfectly in the pocket of the rocker arms for #3 cylinder. So upper valve train looks good to me.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Keep us posted... I'm really curious to see what it is. You did check the FICM harness? I have a spare FICM harness if you want to try that...

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant injector harness. I just make up my own names for things. You seem too anal to have missed a chafe on the FICM/PCM harness. Just spitballing idea's here:
Have you tried returning tune to stock?
Could the PCM have something to do with the issue (replace and re-flash?)
Could another injector be the culprit but fooling the FICM into thinking it is cylinder 3?

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Turned truck back to stock. Idle isn't quite as rough but its still there and still has a delayed/hesitated start when cranking before it fires.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I suppose the harness from pcm to ficm could have an issue. I never checked that. But to me....it would seem like it should have thrown a circuit code if it was a wiring/connector issue... Not a contribution/balance code. But weird things happen...so who knows.

ford rules

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a spare ficm you could try? I lean towards a ficm issue before a pcm issue but who knows.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
How about a spare set of injectors? If you have ruled out the FICM, and injector harness those are the two out of three major electrical components apart of the injection system.
I would check the PCM harness, then swap all injectors with a spare set.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I swapped #3 injector with #1....and still got code for #3 cylinder.... So I know its not the injectors. I watched the injectors firing on the IDS. Its not the injectors, injector harness, ficm or valve train.

Last edited:

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Have you driven the truck to get air out of oil/fuel system since swapping the injectors? It can take 15-20 miles sometimes. Your extended crank could be from air in hpo system still Which could also affect the way it's running. Also if you have access to an ids have you done relative compression test and enhanced power balance or just regular power balance?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Yes I drove it. I dont mean to sound like a smart ass but this hasnt been my first time installing injectors. And yes a relative compression test was done. I believe I mentioned that a compression test was done at least twice...and showed #3 cylinder to be good and no cylinders were low.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online