CP4 Inlet Pressure Spec?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Factory spec is 70 psi and it triggers the fuel filter light at 50 psi. Use the info for what it is worth.
A factory service engineer told me that they can live at 15psi but they set the low limit at 50psi as a precautionary measure.

Sent from my mobile using crapatalk 4

Dan

Reaction score
Factory spec is 70 psi and it triggers the fuel filter light at 50 psi. Use the info for what it is worth.
A factory service engineer told me that they can live at 15psi but they set the low limit at 50psi as a precautionary measure.

Sent from my mobile using crapatalk 4

Thank you kindly! :)

H&S Bentley

Reaction score
Didn't read this entire thread, so not sure if it was answered. BUT, here is what we found.

The OEM low pressure system has a pressure switch that triggers anything under 50PSI. There is a pretty high debounce on the system though, so it takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds of maintained low pressure (under 50 psi) before any dash messages are triggered. The system is not integrated into the ECM, but rather just sent to the instrument cluster to warn you of "low fuel pressure" (I am pretty confident on this, but not 100%. I cannot find any data in the ECM for low pressure fuel system trigger switches).

If you unplug that low pressure switch the system is happy and will not report any dash messages. It is a normally open contact and stays open on unplug. We ran a low pressure system gauge on my truck for a few months, and I could not ever get it to fall below 15psi, even on some VERY large duration tunes. Thus far we have seen no negative effects of running less than 50psi pressure to the CP4. We can also verify that the LML duramax (with essentially the same identical fuel system) also does not have issues running low lift pump (built onto the CP4 pump of the LML) pressures.

H&S Motorsports is currently doing more testing on low pressure system upgrades to see where they are going to be necessary, and to find what exactly should be replaced. So far it looks like the 50PSI idea was a Ford thing, and not really necessary for the Bosch fuel system, it will run at much lower pressures and still be 100% happy.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Didn't read this entire thread, so not sure if it was answered. BUT, here is what we found.

The OEM low pressure system has a pressure switch that triggers anything under 50PSI. There is a pretty high debounce on the system though, so it takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds of maintained low pressure (under 50 psi) before any dash messages are triggered. The system is not integrated into the ECM, but rather just sent to the instrument cluster to warn you of "low fuel pressure" (I am pretty confident on this, but not 100%. I cannot find any data in the ECM for low pressure fuel system trigger switches).

If you unplug that low pressure switch the system is happy and will not report any dash messages. It is a normally open contact and stays open on unplug. We ran a low pressure system gauge on my truck for a few months, and I could not ever get it to fall below 15psi, even on some VERY large duration tunes. Thus far we have seen no negative effects of running less than 50psi pressure to the CP4. We can also verify that the LML duramax (with essentially the same identical fuel system) also does not have issues running low lift pump (built onto the CP4 pump of the LML) pressures.

H&S Motorsports is currently doing more testing on low pressure system upgrades to see where they are going to be necessary, and to find what exactly should be replaced. So far it looks like the 50PSI idea was a Ford thing, and not really necessary for the Bosch fuel system, it will run at much lower pressures and still be 100% happy.

Good to know, and really there is no need to supply the system with that much pressure from what i can see

01PSD

Reaction score
Good to know, and really there is no need to supply the system with that much pressure from what i can see

Seems to me like that's putting the LPFP under unneeded stress?.. :shrug: That is if there is no real advantage to supplying 50+ PSI to the HPFP.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah i totally agree, and as we've seen low pressure systems dont live long at higher pressures

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me. Is that if Ford did it, they did it for a reason. They pay a lot of money to engineers and if they decided that cp4 needs 50psi than there's a reason behind it.

01PSD

Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me. Is that if Ford did it, they did it for a reason. They pay a lot of money to engineers and if they decided that cp4 needs 50psi than there's a reason behind it.

This also crossed my mind. Surely they wouldn't do it if they didn't feel it was necessary.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

i agree with this but for the life of me i can't figure out why they would do it that high, I doubt its heat. Maybe it has something to do with filtration or something?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i agree with this but for the life of me i can't figure out why they would do it that high, I doubt its heat. Maybe it has something to do with filtration or something?

they also thought that turbo was a good idea. just sayin.

09stroker

Reaction score
Early warning maybe? Get it fixed way before its actually a problem and damage the pump

Dzchey21

Reaction score
they also thought that turbo was a good idea. just sayin.

I agree

I see they are already switching back to a tried and true turbo with a 64mm inlet... which makes me very happy

Wonder if the upgraded fuel system will be a cp3 instead of the cp4? Might have to buy a new truck again LOL

I forsee the new trucks being a more powerful truck than a 6.4 with a tune, tune for tune of course.

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
Idk... But I do know one thing. I will be feeding my cp4/cp3 fuel from two of those bad boys in parallel :D

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your data Bentley. I'm assuming since the kit is out that you recommend factory ford supply pressure to the cp3. I haven't looked into it, but it makes me wonder if pump life is shortened or extended by feeding either of these pumps with pressure other than what gm and ford spec'd out. The kit utilizes a duramax cp3, right? Seems to work pretty good in duramax land to add a supply pump, but I may just be thinking out of my butt. I'm a little short on sleep now, so I may read this in the morning and wish there was a delete button. Oh, well.

Kaleb & Dan: if you want to maintain factory ford spec pressure to the cp4, and 15ish to the cp3, just throw a regulator inline after the cp4, but before the cp3. If it were my truck, I would need to see Bosch's spec, validated aftermarket pressure recommendations, or go off of Ford's/ Gm's numbers unless I was prepared to pay potential consequences. Adding a regulator may very well be a waste, but I would have more peace of mind going with ford/gm spec if I couldn't get any other validated number.

If 15 psi proves in the long run to be sufficient supply pressure to the cp4, I would want to add a resistor, or replace the sensor so the low pressure light still works instead of just unplugging it. Ramblings complete.

09stroker

Reaction score
im sure thats what the switch is for, but who knows why they actually call for 50 psi? water separation?

Well doesn't that occur before the pump? If anything it would be a slight negative pressure. Either way I don't think water separation is dependent on applied pressure.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Unless they are trying to turn the filter housing into a centrifuge or something by pulling a large amount of fuel in and by passing back to tank.

It honestly makes 0 sense to me

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.