CPS gear contact?

JD3020

Reaction score
The BW cam sensor sucks, i wasted money on one because several people said "Oh they are so much better than the Ford sensors". Caused me nothing but issues and i threw it away. Typical aftermarket electronics. 4 years now on a gray Ford CPS that i installed when i bought the truck, never a hiccup.

ToMang07

Reaction score
lol, sad part is im starting to believe him... i am going to try a bw and delphi sensor.. the ford sensors all make contact except the original black ones. must be enough extra plastic on the ends to contact the sensor... im hoping that is the issue anyway. its that or bearing walk cuz the cam gear is supposed to be welded.

The only time the OE sensors give problems is higher HP builds like yours, even then, it's rare.

Aftermarket CPSs however screw up TONS of them, stock or otherwise.

Sucks you ruined a good Black one, them things are like gold! lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

The only time the OE sensors give problems is higher HP builds like yours, even then, it's rare.

Aftermarket CPSs however screw up TONS of them, stock or otherwise.

Sucks you ruined a good Black one, them things are like gold! lol
Didnt ruin the black ones. one was in for 100k and the backup was in for 4hrs. no marks on either of them. all the new ford ones have marks on them.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The BW cam sensor sucks, i wasted money on one because several people said "Oh they are so much better than the Ford sensors". Caused me nothing but issues and i threw it away. Typical aftermarket electronics. 4 years now on a gray Ford CPS that i installed when i bought the truck, never a hiccup.
what issues did u have? I am ordering both the delphi and bw. if they didnt change the design to what the new ford/ih are now and still have the centered magnet with bigger end.. then I hope it works.

79jasper

Reaction score
And no, I haven't tried aftermarket one.
Currently on a ford one.
But actually looking at the data between them..........

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

JD3020

Reaction score
My truck would miss, buck, cut-out, all sorts of stuff like that. Got worse in the rain. Doesn't matter what the data is, its just general knowledge that aftermarket electronics suck compared to OEM. Same deal with Dorman UVCH's and gaskets that tend to leak and create hell.

And whats there to gain from a "better" cam sensor anyways? Not like its going to give us an extra 50hp or something.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My truck would miss, buck, cut-out, all sorts of stuff like that. Got worse in the rain. Doesn't matter what the data is, its just general knowledge that aftermarket electronics suck compared to OEM. Same deal with Dorman UVCH's and gaskets that tend to leak and create hell.

And whats there to gain from a "better" cam sensor anyways? Not like its going to give us an extra 50hp or something.
they are known to advance or retard timing a couple degrees.. live tunes go out the window...

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
My experience with BW cam sensors was the exact same as JD's.
The truck would buck so bad under load that I was starting to worry I would do damage to my driveline.

JD3020

Reaction score
My experience with BW cam sensors was the exact same as JD's.
The truck would buck so bad under load that I was starting to worry I would do damage to my driveline.

Yeah, my truck was horrible. Got worse under a load. Hell i was driving up a hill in the rain and damn near wrecked the truck because it started backing so bad, lost power, than all at once it just lit up the rear and had me sideways. I tried it after reading on a couple sites about how much better they "should" be as nobody had tried them. Waste of $30 or whatever i paid.

I do have a Ford black sensor in my glovebox, but no desire to change CPS's. Its all snake oil anyways, just find a sensor that doesn't cut out or cause issues and run it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
lol, sad part is im starting to believe him... i am going to try a bw and delphi sensor.. the ford sensors all make contact except the original black ones. must be enough extra plastic on the ends to contact the sensor... im hoping that is the issue anyway. its that or bearing walk cuz the cam gear is supposed to be welded.

The black ones were delphi...

TyCorr

Reaction score
But it's doable if you know which way to go.

Billy T.
[email protected]

That was determined back in 07 or 08 to be baaaad advice. It was designed for a 6 cylinder engine and the timing differences caused issues. Ask hrt about those blue sensors LOL

The BW ones are ***kin rubbish. I bought them because "they were as close to the original specs". Yea, well they suck. If you like changing cam sensors every three blocks, have at it. Or the truck will cut in and out like a damn dj's turntable. Fun when you are under wot!

I have a black one that is new that was made in 98. Im hanging onto that sucker. I have a grey ford one in there. Im doing ok now but fear if this one goes Ill take a 4lber to the engine block. Im fed up with it. It wasnt anything but an issue that popped up abruptly. My truck had a black one in it from build to 09. Then that one lasted from 09 until oct 13. After that, they have been coming and going like Johns at a whorehouse. Bs.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That was determined back in 07 or 08 to be baaaad advice. It was designed for a 6 cylinder engine and the timing differences caused issues. Ask hrt about those blue sensors LOL

The BW ones are ***kin rubbish. I bought them because "they were as close to the original specs". Yea, well they suck. If you like changing cam sensors every three blocks, have at it. Or the truck will cut in and out like a damn dj's turntable. Fun when you are under wot!

I have a black one that is new that was made in 98. Im hanging onto that sucker. I have a grey ford one in there. Im doing ok now but fear if this one goes Ill take a 4lber to the engine block. Im fed up with it. It wasnt anything but an issue that popped up abruptly. My truck had a black one in it from build to 09. Then that one lasted from 09 until oct 13. After that, they have been coming and going like Johns at a whorehouse. Bs.
that is exactly how mine has been.
Yea. They were made by delphi.
10-4. lets hope the delphi one I just bought is the same then.

gonna borrow a bore scope this week to look inside the cps hole to see if I can spot any issues..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well, its definitely making contact. painted the tip silver to make it easier to see. bout to see if the bore scope can get in there enough to see why it is.
5ujy7a4y.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
not enough clearance to get the bore scope in and around tye front cover. is there any other place I could stick the bore scope to see what might be causing this? hoping maybe just nead a thicker spacer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.