CR Time Bye bye IH crap!!!!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
seems like Dodge and Cummins came out with a different ECM every 6 months! LOL

03 is different from 04... you can run an 03 on an early 04 manual truck, but not auto as 04+ had the TCM function integral to the ECM where the 03 had an external TCM.

04.5 is different from 04. 05 is different from 04.5. You can program an 05 ECM to work on an 04.5, but the APPS won't function. I think it's physically pinned different, so there's either no signal or no reference voltage. The truck will idle, but no throttle input.

06/07 are the the same unit and they use a CAN communication protocol vs. the old SCI protocol of the 03-05

as Duramax trucks use CAN BUS communication, EFI Live was first released for 06/07 as they share the CAN protocol. 07-09 6.7 will be next as they are very similar. Then 2010-2012 most likely, but 03-05 might come out before then.

Even if you don't go EFI Live, the 06/07 ECM fuels harder than 03-05

05's are the touchiest ECM of them all. You often have to remove fuses during programming or you risk locking them up.

internally, the 04.5-07 5.9's are the same. same pistons, same injector spray pattern, etc. so if you've got an 05 engine and you're building this thing from scratch, I'd get an 06/07 ECM/harness because

if you're just starting from scratch, there's a valid argument for going 03/04 as they only have two injection events and a better piston bowl design. far less prone to melt down. you could do 03/04 style pistons/nozzles and still run 06/07 ECM & harness FWIW

hth

SINNER

Reaction score
Make sure DeStroked has a tach kit ready to ship before you start. 6 week wait for mine.

He has a 6.0

I would not use that tach box, I would use the stock 6.0 crank sensor on a bracket referenced off the CR tone ring. The 6.0 and CR have the same tooth count and no need to deal with that failure prone tach box.

samoht517

Reaction score
:whs: you don't need the tach box. 6.4s need them because the crank and can talk to each other in a different way then a cummins. You will need a tack kit with a tone wheel that mounts on the balancer. That has a 2 wire sensor that ties into the factory wires. Personally I think wiring takes the longest to make it look factory. A lot of problems can arise if you rush that. You don't have to pull the cab either. Just pull the back 2 injector lines off and sometimes the back 2 sets of rockers. Then pull the back lift point off and use chain in the holes. Use a lift bar and keep it as close as you can. It helps to have the cab on so you can check clearances around the firewall and cowl before you get to far into tightening stuff up.

Bean

Reaction score
There is no part of it that stands out as the most time consuming, but as a whole it will take you much longer then two weeks. Even if you think you have everything there for the swap something will be missing, just one part missing could set you back anywhere from 2 days to 4 weeks depending on what part it is.

Removing old and installing new engine will be the quickest part of the deal, can have that done in a day and a half or less. The details is what takes time. Wiring is pretty easy but making it all come out like factory and make everything work takes time. Plumbing chargers isnt hard but if you have never done a set on a conversion you will have trial and error, its tight in there.

If you want 800hp on fuel get bigger chargers, 62 over a 75 is maxed out at 800 and may not even get you there. I have a charger combo that we have figured out that will spool up faster then a 62/75 combo and will make 1000+ on fuel. If you are going to spray allot then you may need an external gate gated to atmos to save the chargers.

me2

Reaction score
internally, the 04.5-07 5.9's are the same. same pistons, same injector spray pattern, etc.
Nope. The 05+ injectors are different from the 05 injectors. I know that for sure. I have an 05CR. Actually, I think I just sold it.

so if you've got an 05 engine and you're building this thing from scratch, I'd get an 06/07 ECM/harness because if you're just starting from scratch, there's a valid argument for going 03/04 as they only have two injection events and a better piston bowl design. far less prone to melt down. you could do 03/04 style pistons/nozzles and still run 06/07 ECM & harness FWIW
The pilot shot argument is mute if you are using EFI Live. You can (or will be able to soon) do whatever you want with the pilot shots/multiple injection events with EFI Live.

me2

Reaction score
But other than pulling the cab, what takes so much time?

a) You don't need to pull the cab. You probably don't even need to remove the rear rockers like some have suggested. I didn't. If you do pull injector lines, beware that you have to get the connector tube right or you can have injection issues. Talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

b) Before you do anything on the recipient truck, get everything done on the engine and transmission that is going into the truck. Bolt the engine to the trans. Get the clutch/ TCM working. Get the throttle wired up. Get the entire wiring diagram figured out. Get all the plugs and looms ready. Get the radiator hoses figured out. Get the air filter figured out. Figure out the driveshaft lengths. Figure out the driveline angles.

I did swapped a 3rd gen CR into a Superduty in 10 days. It was usable, but not entirely done. And I had everything figure out before I did it.

My biggest time consumer was 1) figuring out how not to over pressure the CP3 with the Ford lift pump and 2) getting the throttle wiring right. The 3rd most time consuming thing was locating the rad overflow container.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Nope. The 05+ injectors are different from the 05 injectors. I know that for sure. I have an 05CR. Actually, I think I just sold it.

The pilot shot argument is mute if you are using EFI Live. You can (or will be able to soon) do whatever you want with the pilot shots/multiple injection events with EFI Live.

the 03-04 injectors have one spray pattern, the 04.5-07 injectors have another.

you can interchange any 04.5-07 injectors. They are the same.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
Well guys after talking to y'all and a few people in Az that have done them, I'm holding off on it until march. Guess I'll drive on blown gaskets for a little while. I have few loose ends to wrap up. I went through several threads on here and the old place, and have decided doing this under the gun with an unreal timeframe ( for conversion noob ) leaves too many chances for error. And for those of that are well versed, I don't want to "SWOLE" it.

Deputydog

Reaction score
Just don't be rushed, take your time and pay attention to details. Like Bean said, there are alot of things that pop up that cause time delays. I had to move my tranny back slightly, which in turn had to get driveshafts resized. I sent my TQ converter back to BTS which took almost 7 weeks to get back. I had to get a recovery file which took a little time getting from Bob Wagner. Just all those little things add up.. Don't expect it overnight. I can tell you in the end, its well worth it!

I'd do it again!

Extended Power

Reaction score
I was all geared up to do a swap into mine too after my engine seized....bought the adaptor plate, and flexplate to use a common rail 5.9L with an Allison auto.

Still got it if you wanna go that route. PM me...they are brand new, still in the box.

For all the stupid money I have put into the 6.0L, I could have had a conversion done twice over....WITH twins...lol.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I was all geared up to do a swap into mine too after my engine seized....bought the adaptor plate, and flexplate to use a common rail 5.9L with an Allison auto.

Still got it if you wanna go that route. PM me...they are brand new, still in the box.

For all the stupid money I have put into the 6.0L, I could have had a conversion done twice over....WITH twins...lol.

Why couldn't you have a 5.9CR/4r100 adapter plate?! I would snag it ASAP!!

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score

I appreciate it, but I already have everything I need except for the tuners. Wanted EFI Live, but its not avail for an 05. I'm using the 48RE from the donor truck. I wanted to go with an allison until I talked to GoGo Dougy and Dmitri Millard. They both said for the horse power and torque I'm hoping for, that it would be a better choice. I just want something I can drive and have fun with for more than 50K to 60K miles without looking for a motor or rebuild. Cummins seems the tried n true way to do this. We'll see!!!