CR Time Bye bye IH crap!!!!

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I would do an 06 ECM/harness

Agreed. Do you know if the sensors are different from 04.5-05 to 06-07??

To the OP, why not going to a 4r100? I've never ran across someone with a 47 or 48 that was happy with there drivability. Seems like they conceded to the ideal that there are no other options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

To the OP, why not going to a 4r100? I've never ran across someone with a 47 or 48 that was happy with there drivability. Seems like they conceded to the ideal that there are no other options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

There's a few people on this forum with fummins running the 48 behind a commonrail, and seem to be happy with the tranny.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I appreciate it, but I already have everything I need except for the tuners. Wanted EFI Live, but its not avail for an 05. I'm using the 48RE from the donor truck. I wanted to go with an allison until I talked to GoGo Dougy and Dmitri Millard. They both said for the horse power and torque I'm hoping for, that it would be a better choice. I just want something I can drive and have fun with for more than 50K to 60K miles without looking for a motor or rebuild. Cummins seems the tried n true way to do this. We'll see!!!

Thats where the $10,000+ plus for the built Allison came in...I wanted 800+ on fuel as well...

Good Luck man...I wish I would have done a conversion the first time I pulled the 6.0L out for headgaskets.....waaaaaaay back...

But....with any kinda luck, this time around will be different......I hope...:doh:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

the sensors are the same. only two major differences are:

1. the APPS is on/part of the accelerator pedal assembly

2. the valve cover gasket/injector harness has 2 plugs on the 06+ vs. 3 plugs on the 03-05

The 06/07's are BEASTS on even canned tunes vs. the 03-05's. The fact that you'll have EFI Live and the longest-supported EFI Live Cummins platform if you go with the 06/07 makes it a no-brainer to me.

oh, and if you need an 06/07 ECM, I know a guy with a couple :pimp:

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
Thats where the $10,000+ plus for the built Allison came in...I wanted 800+ on fuel as well...

Good Luck man...I wish I would have done a conversion the first time I pulled the 6.0L out for headgaskets.....waaaaaaay back...

But....with any kinda luck, this time around will be different......I hope...:doh:

I'm on my 5th motor looking for 6. Not my first rodeo, but still getting on the bull.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
the sensors are the same. only two major differences are:

1. the APPS is on/part of the accelerator pedal assembly

2. the valve cover gasket/injector harness has 2 plugs on the 06+ vs. 3 plugs on the 03-05

The 06/07's are BEASTS on even canned tunes vs. the 03-05's. The fact that you'll have EFI Live and the longest-supported EFI Live Cummins platform if you go with the 06/07 makes it a no-brainer to me.

oh, and if you need an 06/07 ECM, I know a guy with a couple :pimp:

I already have everything out of a wrecked 05. I don't really want to spend anymore for a year swap of ECM's. I appreciate the advise though. I really want to go EFI live, but it'll have to wait until some of the other things are sorted out on this conversion.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the cost difference is going to be minimal in the grand scheme of things. sell your ECM and harness. it could cost you 0$ difference, it could cost you $400-500 difference. Either way, it's completely worth the cost

BFinMO

Reaction score

...I've never ran across someone with a 47 or 48 that was happy with there drivability......

I would deffinently fall into this category. While it has not mechanically let me down to date, my 48 has been the most annoying issue I fought during my conversion process.

If I were to make a recomendation to a person yet to begin there conversion, it would be to look strongly into some of the other options out there. Probably the 4r100 for cost basis.

Now my setup is based on the true '05 platform so it could be that the '06/7 have better communication with the TTVA and I'm sure that the '04.5 with the TPS in the engine compartment was much more adjustable.

Mine just shifts like the $6k piece of junk it is. So it would not be a suggestion from this guy. LOL

Cant wait to see your progress postings.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
47/48's are AWESOME

if you're drag racing :eek:

but, I've yet to experience a custom tuned controller... yet another reason to go 06/07. run the 06/07 48RE, tune the engine and transmission with EFI Live

suprhlr

Reaction score
Well guys after talking to y'all and a few people in Az that have done them, I'm holding off on it until march. Guess I'll drive on blown gaskets for a little while. I have few loose ends to wrap up. I went through several threads on here and the old place, and have decided doing this under the gun with an unreal timeframe ( for conversion noob ) leaves too many chances for error. And for those of that are well versed, I don't want to "SWOLE" it.

It's march, any updates:poke:

Latest posts

Members online