Cyl number 5 misfire...... Sh!t :-(

Beans71086

Reaction score
So I guess things have been going way to good after my build....

Took some time after work today to replace my egt sensor, after I buttoned it back up I fired it up and let it run for 5-7 mins while I warmed up inside. Came back out to it missing and smoking blue really bad.(which I've now figured out was the never seize I used, but at the time it just added fuel to my "freak out" fire) Hopped in it, no cel, idled it down and shut it down. Checked codes, cleared the # 5 misfire, fired it up and it ran fine. Drove to 2 or so miles, parked at the house and let it idle. After idleing for a couple mins it started missing again.

So the question is what's next? Is there anything I can check without pulling the valve covers/cab?

87jumpy

Reaction score
Kinda sounds like when I lost a injector and rocker arms

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

78f100

Reaction score
Mine skipped a few times then quit, on a couple different occasion. I never had a code or anything but a few weeks later my injector hung open and bent a rod and broke a piston I would check that one out.

Beans71086

Reaction score
Mine skipped a few times then quit, on a couple different occasion. I never had a code or anything but a few weeks later my injector hung open and bent a rod and broke a piston I would check that one out.

I really don't like the sound of that, if I cracked one of these new pistons I think I'd cry! LOL Going to dig a lil deeper today and see what we find.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
When my truck had oringinal nozzles on the injectors it would do it only when it was pretty cold, like 0 degrees or so, and some tunes were worse than others. I found if i would kick the truck into high idle almost instantly that it would be ok once the truck was warm.

Eventually i ended up putting another injector off ebay on it, did the same thing, got another injector, again it failed, put a ford reman in, and it was good ever since.

The reason why its coming and going is the truck does basically performs a self test on the injectors at idle and makes sure the power balance is correct, if its not it eventually starts adding or pulling fuel from that injector untill it gets a missfire code. It should throw a contribution code first, then a missfire after probably about a minute of idling.

At any rate try the things we discussed to make sure that the injector body itself is the issue and not the nozzle (not that i have ever seen a bad nozzle) and then go from there.

Also i didnt tell you last night after you swap nozzles or injector bodies just run it with the valve cover off for a little bit at an idle, that should be long enough to tell you what is going on. and you wont have to go thru all the work to button up the engine just to tear it apart again to figure out what is going on.

Write down all your info too, if you swap 5 with 1, be sure you note where the nozzle is and where the injector is, its easy to mix things up and make things worse to diagnose.

Beans71086

Reaction score
It's been 2 weeks and I figured I'd throw an update on here. Swapped the # 3 & 5 injectors, ran it for almost a week with no miss. Then, thur of last week it missed on the #3 cylinder. So last weekend I replaced the bad inj and so far so good!!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
where did you get the injectors that you put in that truck?

that is assuming that you replaced all 8 at the time of your build?

if you didn't replace them all, i would highly consider replacing the remaining 7.

Latest posts

Members online