Dana 60 conversion in progress.

Tom S

Reaction score
I swapped out the transfer case yoke on the 4407 from the F250 to the F350 and test fit the driveshaft with the double cardan joint on it. F1TZ-4A376-B
I came across this for less then the price of parts to rebuild the one I got off the donor truck. ($118 shipped) It is about a quarter of an inch shorter then my OEM shaft and about 3/4 longer then the F350 donor shaft. The transfer case yokes are the same length.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Wacky torque specs for the ball joints.

The instruction sheet with the joints called for:
Bottom joint 70lbs then top joint 100lbs

Ford Body and Chassis book in the alignment section called for:
Bottom joint 40lbs, top joint 115lbs to 135lbs then bottom joint 95lbs to 110lbs.

Ford Powertrain Drivetrain book in the Dana 60 section called for:
Bottom joint 35lbs, top joint 70lbs, then bottom joint 150lbs.

What I ended up doing was bottom joint 70lbs as 35 was not enough to fully overcome the self locking nut then top joint 100lbs and bottom joint 105lbs.

Tom S

Reaction score
I also wanted to check out how true the axles was for an idea on how the alignment might work out. I leveled the axle and then used a digital level to measure the camber left and right.

The right side had .3 deg positive camber
The left side had .6 deg positive camber

I am thinking once the axle has a load on that those numbers are going to be pretty good. The camber specs are 0 deg +- .5 deg.

Attachments

• DSC01014.JPG
    DSC01014.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

brewer

Reaction score
Really coming together, Tom. Just got mine in last week, I'll be posting some pics soon. But really happy with how it came out. Next time I have the axle apart I'll be putting those new spindles on, as I'm sure you remember what mine ended up looking like after the rebuild. I've been considering the rear sway bar...do you notice any difference in ride/handling? I'm really liking how those traction bars look too, might need to add those to the upgrade list :thumbsup:

Tom S

Reaction score
I can tell the sway bar is on the back. The back end has a flatter feel to it in the corners. I might have stiffened up the ride just a little on certain bumps. I will say it makes me want one on the front where the weight is empty.

Please post photos as that really brings a thread to life.

JCart

Reaction score
Whoa...Tom the pix of your D60 are wicked...that is gonna be killer when installed....are you doin SD springs front and rear?

I think the front anti-sways are an awesome way to hone up the handling and steering. Love the way mine handles and rides, it corners nice and flat, loaded or empty. With full fuel tanks 405 litres (104 US) there is just enough weight to make the ride really smooth and again it handles corners wickedly.

Do anti sways front and rear...MO

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Whoa...Tom the pix of your D60 are wicked...that is gonna be killer when installed....are you doin SD springs front and rear?

I think the front anti-sways are an awesome way to hone up the handling and steering. Love the way mine handles and rides, it corners nice and flat, loaded or empty. With full fuel tanks 405 litres (104 US) there is just enough weight to make the ride really smooth and again it handles corners wickedly.

Do anti sways front and rear...MO

I am probably going to do the SD Springs. Right now I have been in contact with a NotStock talking about a RSK kit that would be more bolt on instead of how the current SKY kit works with SD springs. I have high hopes for this, so I am holding off just a bit on the next step. I like what I have seen of his work. It is no fun have that axle all done up and waiting a bit to put it in. My one other option would be to put it in the OBS F350 springs now.

Tom

JCart

Reaction score
Ya you could always do a comparison I guess to see what the SDs are like, by runnin the stock F350s first. Or you could also run the F250 stockers, make sure you have a hard hat on though...heh heh..

How would Notstock's RSK system bolt up....Guessing you'd use the stock holes with a cradle type front RSK with an extension forward to account for longer SD springs?

My RSK is bolted through the frame on each side with strategically placed welds just to be sure. Working on a plan for a mount so I can hang a 15,000 lbs Ramsy winch (that came with the truck) on a slide in receiver mount that will make the front end very robust but its a ways down the "list". And if I where ever to do nuther RSK would integrated that feature. In this way you can put the winch in front or rear and leave off when not needed.

Tom S

Reaction score
Ya you could always do a comparison I guess to see what the SDs are like, by runnin the stock F350s first. Or you could also run the F250 stockers, make sure you have a hard hat on though...heh heh..

How would Notstock's RSK system bolt up....Guessing you'd use the stock holes with a cradle type front RSK with an extension forward to account for longer SD springs?
My RSK is bolted through the frame on each side with strategically placed welds just to be sure. Working on a plan for a mount so I can hang a 15,000 lbs Ramsy winch (that came with the truck) on a slide in receiver mount that will make the front end very robust but its a ways down the "list". And if I where ever to do nuther RSK would integrated that feature. In this way you can put the winch in front or rear and leave off when not needed.

That is the initial idea.

Tom S

Reaction score
I had considered it but decided not to. I have a homemade fluid evacuation tool that makes it easy to suck out the old fluid from parts like that.

Also good for HPOP oil changes. :lookaround:

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I had considered it but decided not to. I have a homemade fluid evacuation tool that makes it easy to suck out the old fluid from parts like that.

Also good for HPOP oil changes. :lookaround:

LOL When I swapped the HPOP on my now dead 96 I rigged up a vacuum canister to suck the oil out of the HPO reservoir and decrease the mess. Pickle jar, some tubing, and a shop vac. Works slick. I have a Mityvac too but I couldn't find a catch container that would hold the volume of oil the HPOP has that fit the Mityvac attachment.

Tom S

Reaction score
Mine is made out of an old BBQ propane tank and a shop air vacumm pump.

JCart

Reaction score
Ha too funny guys have similar gear, mine is glass miracle whip jar with shop vac and also a mity vac. I also have a number of small rare earth magnets on all drain/fill plugs, oil and fuel filters to trap any fine metal. They sure are strong magnets for their size.

When you planning to have it under the truck Tom?

jrc

Tom S

Reaction score
I am in a holding pattern for a bit to see what can be done with the RSK redo. I might put it in with old f350 springs if that is going to take a while. I am not happy with where I have it in the garage right now, it is in the way.

JCart

Reaction score
Had a quick look at the RSK thread here and that boomerang design looks good, bugged me on cutting the bumper too. In the end as I put a fan behind it (with V10 cooler) would not have had to cut it nearly as much as I moved it forward....grrr. The only good news with cuttin bumper is that all the mud and junk drains out.

Totally get the room thing Tom my little detached shop is just a disaster with too many projects runnin at once. The good news is my darlin' hardly venture into the mess so remains happy wife (happy life)...yaay!!

Members online

No members online now.