Dd build help with turbo selection

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards 250/200s, okay can we not get into a argument over smoke, I'm not expecting no smoke at wot I'm expecting no smoke normally driving the thing, I know there's going to be smoke if you stab it until the turbo catches up, but I see a lot of trucks that are cruising in town at 45 that are hazing, I don't want that.. if that explains it better..

bruce

Reaction score
Why 250/200 and not hybrids? You can run an s366 with 250/200's but I would advise using a waste gate due to their high drive pressure. I run hybrids and a modded h2e

INFRNL

Reaction score
No go unless your gating the 366 and pulling fuel. I ran that setup and hated it.

Can you expand on this? This sgould be comparable to a modded h2e but I do not know much about turbos. Makes me think I might have made the wrong choice.

I have the pius lasb which is an s300 framed turbo with a larger wheel. I'm not sure what else has been done to it but I believe its basically a modded s366. Its supposed to move 1200cfm and spool up very fast.
I'm supposed to gate mine but not needed. I think this is because my 250/100s a detuned for my pmrs.

Why 250/200 and not hybrids? You can run an s366 with 250/200's but I would advise using a waste gate due to their high drive pressure. I run hybrids and a modded h2e

Ive heard the same when I got my turbo. Should be able to run up to 50psi but optimal for mine is supposed to be a max of 45psi. As mentioned above because of pmrs and tuning, I have only peaked at 39psi. For me a gate is not needed at this point.

Are wastegates not needed on the h2e's?

oneturboforme

Reaction score

Maybe I'm understanding this wrong but my view on it is, if I'm getting a modded hpop then it will have plenty of oil to run the 250/200 so why not run them over hybrids if I have the oil to do so??

INFRNL

Reaction score
Maybe I'm understanding this wrong but my view on it is, if I'm getting a modded hpop then it will have plenty of oil to run the 250/200 so why not run them over hybrids if I have the oil to do so??

From my experience, a healthy stock pump works just fine on 250s. 300s or bigger would probably need a better pump. I think 250s are plenty for what you are after. They will get you to 600 and you already stated that you are not necessarily looking to go that far.
Im may be wrong but the main thing you gain with 300s would be to reach the next level of power which you said you are not after. Idk

250/200s = hybrids
We went all this time without saying it and you had to come ruin it:biggun: lol
I was wondering when someone was going to flat out say it

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^ya beat me to it...haha

OP, have your smoke/haze goals changed? Youre still talking about 250/200s and you have a manual, so I assume they have...

If they havent, a 366 or 38R with a 160/100 will be a real nice street (part throttle/tip in) performing setup...

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
What's to expand its plain an simple 250/200s is to much fuel for a 366.
Can you expand on this? This sgould be comparable to a modded h2e but I do not know much about turbos. Makes me think I might have made the wrong choice.

I have the pius lasb which is an s300 framed turbo with a larger wheel. I'm not sure what else has been done to it but I believe its basically a modded s366. Its supposed to move 1200cfm and spool up very fast.
I'm supposed to gate mine but not needed. I think this is because my 250/100s a detuned for my pmrs.

Ive heard the same when I got my turbo. Should be able to run up to 50psi but optimal for mine is supposed to be a max of 45psi. As mentioned above because of pmrs and tuning, I have only peaked at 39psi. For me a gate is not needed at this point.

Are wastegates not needed on the h2e's?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Well hell shoulda just said it instead of dragging me on.. my "understanding" of a hybrid was the larger plunder installed in a smaller plunged injector so you would need less oil pressure to flow the same amount of fuel, that being said since the pressure is lower with stock nozzles a hybrid would flow less then a stock injector... are all aftermarket injectors hybrids?

I'm still leaning toward the gt42 and the more miles I put on this truck the more I lean toward an auto swap... shifting the Mac truck gets old and down shifting to stay in the R's is tricky to do without being harsh.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I believe stage 3 injectors are hybrids. I do not know exactly what size it typically starts at. I wanna say 200s up are hybrids.

I think you are correct in the way they are made/work. I know for sure 238s/250s etc are hybrids and they do not require as much in yhe way of oil as stock injectors do. However around a 250/200 if your stock hpop can't keep up, then you will want a better pump.

Changing trannys is up to you, autos csn handle more power but you will need a beefed up tranny otherwise you will tear up a stock tranny pushing that much power.

I do not have the experience some of yhese guys do bit I slightly disagree with some statements on turbos.
Ive heard the gt42xx are solid units as well as the modded h2e's. I haven't read anything bad about the s300 framed turbos as well as s400 either. Seems like big Garrett or h2e are more popular though.

bruce

Reaction score
Gtx4294r is a bad mamma jamma but the 3k pricetage hurts. The s468 is prolly the best turbo for the money on a t4

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
From my experience, a healthy stock pump works just fine on 250s. 300s or bigger would probably need a better pump. I think 250s are plenty for what you are after. They will get you to 600 and you already stated that you are not necessarily looking to go that far.
Im may be wrong but the main thing you gain with 300s would be to reach the next level of power which you said you are not after. Idk

We went all this time without saying it and you had to come ruin it:biggun: lol
I was wondering when someone was going to flat out say it

Have you made 600 on 250s with a stock hpop? If not don't give that advice.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Gtx4294r is a bad mamma jamma but the 3k pricetage hurts. The s468 is prolly the best turbo for the money on a t4

it is expensive... but the way i look at it is like this.. i have a les baer and a wilson combat 1911. they have a heavy price tag but i know when i pull the trigger it goes bang and is very accurate and will be for years to come.. yes i could buy a rock island and it will go bang for awhile before the ramps ect get dirty from the loose tolerances and it will fail. not saying you cant build them as good or better but then your at the same pricetag or more then. i feel turbos to be the same way you get what you pay for.. i feel a water/oil cooled bb turbo should last for the life of the motor, not saying there arent good s468's out there but for a "good" one the price tag is also going to be up there.

Latest posts

Members online