Delipping bowls, pistons still in motor?

dsberman94

Reaction score
But a router bit meant to cut wood at 20k rpm is gonna become shrapnel if used to vigorously or rough on anything but wood. Including a nail in a piece of wood sometimes. Guys in video are lucky IMO.

m j

Reaction score
I guess you didn't read the comments after the video. Just because you can doesn't mean its safe to do. There isn't a router manufacturer or bit maker out there that would recommend using a router on any metal. The bit can shatter causing severe bodily injury.

Routers usually run at 15,000 to 20,000 rpm. Metal die grinders run at about 3,000 rpm using speed rated stones or carbide bits. Lathes run maybe 150-300rpm. So when the wood rated bit shatters, you're in trouble.

Just because you see some idiot do it on the internet doesn't mean its safe or results in a quality job.

Even the idiots in the video said "Be careful", they knew it was dangerous. And it seemed like they used a speed reducing supply to slow the router down.

typical of you Davey. no real experience. I would love to see you use a grinding stone on aluminum.
maybe with a compression fitting in there somehow as well

m j

Reaction score
But a router bit meant to cut wood at 20k rpm is gonna become shrapnel if used to vigorously or rough on anything but wood. Including a nail in a piece of wood sometimes. Guys in video are lucky IMO.

I think you would be wasting your time to router delip your pistons if there is a nail embedded in them but YMMV

njjeep

Reaction score
Many people use wood bits and blades on aluminum and they are professionals that know what they are doing. The original question has more to do with de-lipping the piston's on an assembled short block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
Well ill put in my 0.02$ on the router thing. I have actually done a lot of routing on aluminum via a wood router. But sure didnt use a wood bit!! I used whats called an AlumaKut carbide burr specifically designed for aluminum. What was really nice is i could make plexiglass(or whatever) stencils for patterns and then put a guide on the router to follow the outline. It was pretty slick. WD40 or equiv is deffinately a necessity. It leaves a pretty descent finish. I actually used the router method on some of the cutting out of the front cover for my P-pump conversion. But on the topic of delipping, i know nothing about it, but i want to learn for the motor im building. Anybody have a pic of a stock piston and a delipped one for comparison??

old man dave

Reaction score
typical of you Davey. no real experience. I would love to see you use a grinding stone on aluminum.
maybe with a compression fitting in there somehow as well

I use a small diameter carbide bit, dummy. Haven't seen a stone rated for router speeds. I guess you still think everyone is as dumb as you are. Go back to the hpop threads.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Many people use wood bits and blades on aluminum and they are professionals that know what they are doing. The original question has more to do with de-lipping the piston's on an assembled short block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut aluminum with miter boxes, table saws, and pretty much anything else made for wood. Been doing it for, ehhhbbb, ten years now. Put your glasses on, no big deal.

The router deal i javent done. Other than an aluminum plinth i made but it cut fine with the blade that was made for aluminum.

Fwiw, a dremel type tool or die grinder can be fitted with a nose cone and used like a router. Might work better.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well ill put in my 0.02$ on the router thing. I have actually done a lot of routing on aluminum via a wood router. But sure didnt use a wood bit!! I used whats called an AlumaKut carbide burr specifically designed for aluminum. What was really nice is i could make plexiglass(or whatever) stencils for patterns and then put a guide on the router to follow the outline. It was pretty slick. WD40 or equiv is deffinately a necessity. It leaves a pretty descent finish. I actually used the router method on some of the cutting out of the front cover for my P-pump conversion. But on the topic of delipping, i know nothing about it, but i want to learn for the motor im building. Anybody have a pic of a stock piston and a delipped one for comparison??

That rings a bell with what I used. I cant recall the details. I walked into Berlands and said "i need to route a plinth block......." Guy said "ok"....i finished "out of aluminum".

The guy said "oh ok. Over here." No muss, no fuss.

old man dave

Reaction score
And I see you stated you used a metal blade to work the alumium. The Bozos in the video used a wood rabbet bit about 2" in diameter. That's dangerous.

TyCorr

Reaction score
And I see you stated you used a metal blade to work the alumium. The Bozos in the video used a wood rabbet bit about 2" in diameter. That's dangerous.

I didn't pay much attention to that. I just know that it is possible in one way. Seems like you can do anything you can think of nowadays if you can find a tool store that is well stocked and knowledgeable.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I did woodworking as a trade. Believe me. There are wood species harder then aluminum.

Not the best practice yes. But would do it no problem.

old man dave

Reaction score
And I think that using a large diameter bit as opposed to a small bit is riskier to use even when routing wood and requires speed reduction to reduce bit speed, not just letting a router run full speed. I believe even the woodworking manuals tell you that.

A lot of this boils down to just how a real shop would do this. It's not what you can get away with, its whether or not what you should do or have your employees do without opening yourself up to a lawsuit or a fine for putting your employees at risk. You will not find a real machine shop using a router to do any milling operation and if there was an accident, OSHA would eat them alive and the lawyers would have a hayday.

Any of you who run a shop: Would you have your employees use a router to work metal? I think not.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score

I guess you don't know the differences in operation using large and small router bits even in wood. You're a google genius with no practical experience like a lot of other things you say around here.

How many tube bending jobs have you done since you express that you absolutely know that Ferrule fittings are junk, say like Parker or Swagelok? I've used both professonally.

Oh, that's right, once on your own motor using flare fittings and not even bent straight.

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
A router is nothing more than a high RPM hand held spindle. With proper bit choice you could most certainly cut aluminum with one. There are many people making CNC machines using routers as spindles to cut both wood and soft metals such as aluminum. If someone were to devise a solid method of chip control it wouldn't totally be out of the realm of possibility.... but not something I would recommend. I would not be shocked if it was found out that this was done by someone already. I know this is not the first time it has been discussed.

old man dave

Reaction score
A router is nothing more than a high RPM hand held spindle. With proper bit choice you could most certainly cut aluminum with one. There are many people making CNC machines using routers as spindles to cut both wood and soft metals such as aluminum. If someone were to devise a solid method of chip control it wouldn't totally be out of the realm of possibility.... but not something I would recommend. I would not be shocked if it was found out that this was done by someone already. I know this is not the first time it has been discussed.

That is correct. I once worked at a company that custom built them at a cost of 10K to over 3 milion per depending on job requirements.

However, the bozos in the video were using a large diameter rabbeting bit with a hand held router.

The CNC woodworking machines used small diameter bits and the routers were rigidly mounted so the router would not jump if the bit hung up. They also had very carefully CNC controlled feed rates, The machines also were designed so there were no personnel in the areas where moving/rotating machinery were located to meet OSHA/NFPA requirements. So if a bit did break there was no hazard to personnel, unlike the bozos in the video.

The hardest thing they did? Making a machine that would shape and set anchor mounts making skateboards. Thats hard stuff to work and used up bits like crazy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online