Deranged rebuild, the next chapter

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Matt the oil filter system to put on it is the one from the econoline van. Had I done that before I believe a lot of problems would have been avoided. The filter that was on it was a 22 micron filter. Minimum Ford recomends is a 20. Before you guys start throwing darts find a remote oil system that flows what is needed for that engine with the proper microns etc..... If it had starved oil from the filter it would have spun the 8 and 7 bearings. Why number 4 is a mystery.

The guy that built it built motors for john force, Cruz Pedregon, Jim Head, and several other teams. He knows his stuff. Everyone makes mistakes, but when you work at that level I would say your talent is beyond thaose mistakes. Also that motor had 2 years on it before the bearing failure and the bearing failed after taking it off a trailer from driving it on the street under 2500 rpms for about 30 minutes and making a trip from Austin to slidell LA.

Then thats probably right sorry Tim didnt mean to start anything doug just ran the number off the oil filter and thats what we came up with, probably wrong. Ether way the oil filter is not what caused it.

Me and Doug both know the caliber of guy who put this motor together, thats why its so hard to find out whats wrong so it doesnt happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:

imelmo

Reaction score
Also that motor had 2 years on it before the bearing failure and the bearing failed after taking it off a trailer from driving it on the street under 2500 rpms for about 30 minutes and making a trip from Austin to slidell LA.

Yeah, I keep trying to think of anything that could have happened on the trip or anything I did when I drove it but can't think of anything. That's why I keep wondering if something may have come loose on the trip or something. When I drove it I didn't even get on it hard enough for the boost to come up. And as Tim said I drove it for less than 30 minutes. Actually it probably ran total for less than about 15 minutes. But it ran like a top before we loaded it on the trailer at Tim's so I have no idea. I had it running maybe 5 to 10 minutes (maybe 5 minutes actually being driven) before the knocking started.

Extended Power

Reaction score
There is nothing fast about rebuilding a 6.0L...mine has been down since August...still waiting on machine shops and parts to finish and show up.

Hope your rebuild goes smooth Matt.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
There is nothing fast about rebuilding a 6.0L...mine has been down since August...still waiting on machine shops and parts to finish and show up.

Hope your rebuild goes smooth Matt.

I pulled, rebuilt and installed the one out of mine 06 in 18 days...... Thats was rushing to get it done for world finals after I found out I was invited.