Different type ESOF hub question

robrike1

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
2004 F250 4 wheel drive 6.0 truck. I just recently changed both front wheel hubs/bearings unit with Timiken units and at the same time replaced my Warn hubs with original auto hubs. I reactived plugged off vacuum line and they seem to work but passenger side shaft is very hard to turn when free.

When I removed passenger hub assembly there was only one washer and the fiber or nylon hex shaped thing on that side. On reassembly I put the metal then hex then metal washer in. Snap ring was super hard to get on but prying u-joint towards wheel a tiny bit got it on there. Is this why this side is so hard to turn by hand when free and not locked?

Tried to take snap ring off but it was hard to get snap ring pliers to open it enough and it was getting dark so I gave up till morning. Was going to test operation spinning shagt using original setup which was there since I bought truck at 105k miles. Any harm running it this way? I assume everything is fine and it will wear in as I only have about 150 miles on new hub assembly.

The driver side did not have the original round slotted thing that goes between knuckle and hub/bearing assembly. Was not aware till after I replaced it it took one. Works fine but I have one now to throw in there. Perhaps that is why driver side is significantly easier to turn shaft by hand when free.

I feel like someone before my ownership messed this all up.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You didn't happen to change the knuckle seal did you?

That's usually where our issue is.

I always have to pry the shaft out to get the snap ring on as well.

robrike1

Reaction score
No,
I didn't have to change it out as I never had knuckle seal out of knuckle. Of course now that my wheel bearing noise is gone with new hub/bearing unit now I can hear ball joints knocking on hard bumps so that is coming soon. Always something. I'll have to order the OTC knuckle seal tool first and a good set of ball joint presses.

Problem is now that I moved to MT it is usually too cold to want to spend a weekend outside working. I've got to get my garage cleaned out from moving to have a less frigid area to work on this.

Robert

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.