diy dual hpops

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
I remember searching a few years ago and came across a diy dual hpop kit that was being sold buy a reputable. Anybody remember what company and is this option still available

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
It's not a total DIY. It takes a special shaft in the front pump to run the back pump and there's an aluminum block that goes between the 2 pumps. If it's the stealth kit I'm thinking of anyways.

fastersteve

Reaction score
It's not a total DIY. It takes a special shaft in the front pump to run the back pump and there's an aluminum block that goes between the 2 pumps. If it's the stealth kit I'm thinking of anyways.

That is correct, but you can change the front pumps shaft at home without special tools.

I had one once.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken you need the front cover off of a t444e out of a bus the lines need to be made and a feed line out of the block to the new hpop reservoir it's pretty basic but effective

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Don't forget, fir the diy gen3 you don't run an hpop. The top pump spins backwards so you can use just a standard hydraulic pump

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I've tossed around the idea of putting one in place of the ac on a competition truck or adding one somewhere in the system and getting a longer belt. Something like a dual cp3 setup in the other brands.

TARM

Reaction score
What style of top pump does Brian's (BTS) setup use? I know its a billet unit he had made but is it very similar to a haldex? I have never seen one in person side by side compared to say Gen 3. Does anyone have a few pics of one that would show the differences. Its the pump I would like to run. As far as shearing goes is there much of a difference between the BTS and Gen3?

As they replace the OEM HPOP reservoir is it possible to still use the res extension such as the one Bob@dieselsite or do they not work?
I know if I were to do a gen 3 I would want to block off the stock IPR and run dual IPR remote with the oil retuning to the pan.

TyCorr

Reaction score
What style of top pump does Brian's (BTS) setup use? I know its a billet unit he had made but is it very similar to a haldex? I have never seen one in person side by side compared to say Gen 3. Does anyone have a few pics of one that would show the differences. Its the pump I would like to run. As far as shearing goes is there much of a difference between the BTS and Gen3?

As they replace the OEM HPOP reservoir is it possible to still use the res extension such as the one Bob@dieselsite or do they not work?
I know if I were to do a gen 3 I would want to block off the stock IPR and run dual IPR remote with the oil retuning to the pan.

Theres also an aux feed that has to be ran to the reservoir.

Depending on the setup. Ive seen the different setups and I like swamps setup. I kinda want to get a gen 3 for my 00 if I ever get around to doing anything with it. The stealth stg2 and up are nice but they are getting up there in years and who wants to plunk down 1800ish plus a core for a used, ten year old pump?

New gen 3 is cheaper! Bts duals look nice as well but I think they are rare too. But im not sure on that either.

TARM

Reaction score
The downsides I have heard on the Gen 3 seem all addressable other than oil shear. That is why I was wondering how it compares in terms of that to other dual type setups ( dual standard hpops, or BTS with their billet top pump)

Yes I see the Gen 3 comes with a secondary feed hose for the res. I recall how when I ran my old dual stealth setup at first when I stepped on the throttle much at all I would see my idiot oil pressure gauge bounce all over the place and the light would flick on and off. Added a feed line to the res and that went away. Also added the Melling for good measure.

My main things are the romping run away at start up but I think addition of the dual remote IPRs may address that as well. The other thing I had set with my dual stealth was running the IPR return to the pan instead of back to the res so that hot foamy oil spraying out of those small IPR orifices was not right back into the same loop. This seemed to address much of the romping idle after hard throttle. I was going to run yet another feed line up to the res to address that loss of oil supply if it was needed.

So in the end my biggest concern I guess would be if there is a large difference in oil shearing to the point of effecting performance. I run about as good oil as I can get with Shaeffer 9K and add the moly additive half way thru my OCI.

Also I still wanted to know if the added HPOP res spacers can work with these.

As I still have my Stealth I may run it at least at first with it as the stock HPOP so there should be no question I have tons of oil. If the SP1 has not have the issues they had I would not have been suprised to have seen someone take one of the old dual stealth kits and make it out of two of those. VanderChevy did it with adrenalines I know. It would work with any two stock body HPOPs as far as I can tell. In many ways I wish I had held onto that old Stealth kit. So now for me its either a BTS or Gen3 with some mods. I think they both use a normal gear pump thus my thought is they would shear about the same amount.

I also do not know till I get one in hand but, if I can fit them, I want to change out those street 90° fittings on the Gen3 with smooth bend ones. Those hard sharp bends sure cause plenty of foaming of our diesel fuel in the fuel systems so they sure can not be doing any favors for the oil flow and foaming either. Just not sure if their will be enough clearance between the various parts. May have to redo some of the hardlines. I like things to be as good as I can get them within reason others may see it as wasted time and money.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I called BTS last week.
The pumps are stock. The kit comes with a reverse rotation pump and the buyer supplies the second pump.

This^.

I have a BTS pump setup. The bottom pump is stock. The kit consists of a billet riser between front cover and the reservoir and a reverse rotation stock pump. Of course all the fittings and lines associated with it..

Latest posts

Members online