diy dual hpops

njjeep

Reaction score
No one reports about there srp1.1 that has worked great for x amount of miles. Only people report the ones with problems. I wonder how many are out there with pumps that work great?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
has anyone looked at your pump?

You attempted that question or attempt to stir shti up 100 times before.Did I send it back to Gary yet (if I ever will)? No. Im not required to. Its broke. It wont build icp unless the truck is stone assed cold. Same results on another truck. The pump thats in my truck is the ONLY change ive made since thats srp1.1 shti the bed. The truck starts, idles and drives great now with a stock pump but its not vigorous enough to maximize the injectors. Or even close to it. But if the tuning is conservative there are zero issues and no icp codes.

This obsession with Gary being required to consider a pump good or bad is exactly why I draw into question the admitted failures. I have talked to guys on here that had their pumps go down once or more and send it off as a core. Do those get counted? How?

I really wish you'd quit speaking in threads where this pump gets brought up. Whether you have one, had one, or not doesnt really give you any room to try to disqualify someones pump taking a shti.

My school of thought is, to keep this constructive, why would I send it to him? If the pump gets sent back and he says "there is nothing wrong with it" I know it wont work, it wont build icp, and it will kill the truck. There is something wrong with it. As its done with two different sets of injectors. In fact, one set had debris in the hpo side. Do I NEED someone eeelse to confirm that the pump puked? The injectors im referencing were ONLY ran with the stealth pump. So the debris is telling.

TyCorr

Reaction score
No one reports about there srp1.1 that has worked great for x amount of miles. Only people report the ones with problems. I wonder how many are out there with pumps that work great?

I did. I spoke of its abilities right up until it was certain that it was my problem.

m j

Reaction score
so you arent going to send it in, and you arent going to open it to see what broke?
doesnt make sense to me to not open it and see if it is dead and what let go.
10 minutes and it would be spread out on the bench

DocBar

Reaction score

I have an SRP1 that was doing good for about 30K miles. Now, it's leaking like a sieve. Does that help? I called Gary, left a message. No answer in 3 weeks.

m j

Reaction score
rear cover leak?
the srp1.1 I have looks like he used a standard O ring and some grey sealant.
order the Viton from dieselorings and replace it.

Reaction score
rear cover leak?
the srp1.1 I have looks like he used a standard O ring and some grey sealant.
order the Viton from dieselorings and replace it.
I don't understand why you keep defending this pump. Gary obviously is giving out skewed results for the pumps. When I had 3 pumps fail internally within a few months trashing 2 sets of injectors and lord knows how many iprs I'd say there are issues with the pump. It would be a bit of a different story if gary would work with customers but you can't even get ahold of him much less get any warranty work done hence the bad rep he has received.

m j

Reaction score
I don't understand why you keep defending this pump. Gary obviously is giving out skewed results for the pumps. When I had 3 pumps fail internally within a few months trashing 2 sets of injectors and lord knows how many iprs I'd say there are issues with the pump. It would be a bit of a different story if gary would work with customers but you can't even get ahold of him much less get any warranty work done hence the bad rep he has received.

I am not defending anything.
Doc got 30k out of a pump and the only issue is a rear cover leak I just offered a suggestion as to what might be causing it.
accusing Stealth of using a buna o-ring, where a viton would be better, is not really defending now is it?

DocBar

Reaction score
I am not defending anything.
Doc got 30k out of a pump and the only issue is a rear cover leak I just offered a suggestion as to what might be causing it.
accusing Stealth of using a buna o-ring, where a viton would be better, is not really defending now is it?
Like most, I really liked the pump when it was running right. Stealth is just going down the same path as Farmer's. Both would've been better off keeping quality up and turning out fewer pumps. I bet Brian Thompson would agree with that. How many of us have waited for a month or more for one of his transmissions because of the reputation BTS has?

I don't know Gary, but he could salvage his reputation if he would back up and take care of his customers better.

TARM

Reaction score
I wonder if we could get this back off a thread just about stealth pumps regardless of what people think.

DocBar

Reaction score
I wonder if we could get this back off a thread just about stealth pumps regardless of what people think.
Not a problem.
As soon as I can save up for one, I'm going to give BTS duals (with dual IPR's) a try. Everything that comes out of that shop seems to be great.

TyCorr

Reaction score

Thank you! I dont care to rehash all this but when people start questioning me and why I didnt send it in I wanna kick em right in the effin face. Two sets of injectors trashed, THREE iprs, and changing the pump (the most telling part of the whole deal) removing ALL the issues is pretty slam dunk. I mean, when you take a truck that just dies and wont start and or rebuild icp and pour ice water over it and it fires up like nothing ever happened its pretty telling that the pump is crap. Then when you make contact with over a dozen other people who had the exact same symptoms and removing the exact same pump fixed everything its pretty irritating when someone says "I dont think it was your pump". Especially when people who innovated 7.3 performance tell you its symptomatic of "one of those stealths going bad". Or when they can tell what pump you have by the debris in your injectors. It paints a picture much different than "we had 39 pumps total fail". Bs. One member on one forum had three fail. There HAS to be 13 people that had the same experience. Thats his admitted 39 pumps right there.

This topic is bs. We might as well let it go so history has a more rosy, untrue view on these paperweights.

I agree they are oil moving mothers when they work but dont bs me on these failures.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea Tarm we can get off of this but people are trying to convince owners of the pumps that they dont have failed pumps or that they dont know enough to say that, which is exactly how Gary speaks of his customers. So its bs in that sense and needs to be handled as such. I dont give a bakers crap if Gary himself came on here, he has nothing to say that makes tons of pumps magically not broken. If he came in here and said "if your truck is doing x, y, and z and wont start after its hot, your pump is bad but Im not able to afford to repair everybodies for free "Id accept that. Fine. But he got royally ignorant with me when I suggested it may be the pump and told me the guys at fullforce are idiots for suggesting that water trick. You know pouring water over the pump to shrink the sloppy tolerances so it'll build icp again?

Theres a lot more going on here than Ive said. And theres some things that dont need to be said until its totally a lost cause. The hell with what anybody thinks. Me and smokinstroker both have about 8 grand in trashed junk from running one of those pumps that nobody thinks are failing left and right. And ill bet if you ask smokinstroker92 he probably knows of a "few" people that had the same experience.

Why is it my job to take apart a pump with 4800 miles on it mj? I suppose a whole bunch of these pumps werent puking their guts out into the valley either mj? Well, they were. If you're just being curious, you have a seriously irritating and grating way of asking questions.

Ok, Tarm, Im done with ranting but its stupid to hide this crap.

DocBar

Reaction score
Yea Tarm we can get off of this but people are trying to convince owners of the pumps that they dont have failed pumps or that they dont know enough to say that, which is exactly how Gary speaks of his customers. So its bs in that sense and needs to be handled as such. I dont give a bakers crap if Gary himself came on here, he has nothing to say that makes tons of pumps magically not broken. If he came in here and said "if your truck is doing x, y, and z and wont start after its hot, your pump is bad but Im not able to afford to repair everybodies for free "Id accept that. Fine. But he got royally ignorant with me when I suggested it may be the pump and told me the guys at fullforce are idiots for suggesting that water trick. You know pouring water over the pump to shrink the sloppy tolerances so it'll build icp again?

Theres a lot more going on here than Ive said. And theres some things that dont need to be said until its totally a lost cause. The hell with what anybody thinks. Me and smokinstroker both have about 8 grand in trashed junk from running one of those pumps that nobody thinks are failing left and right. And ill bet if you ask smokinstroker92 he probably knows of a "few" people that had the same experience.

Why is it my job to take apart a pump with 4800 miles on it mj? I suppose a whole bunch of these pumps werent puking their guts out into the valley either mj? Well, they were. If you're just being curious, you have a seriously irritating and grating way of asking questions.

Ok, Tarm, Im done with ranting but its stupid to hide this crap.
Damn, dude. This has me thinking of just throwing a stocker on until I can go BTS. I'd hate to trash more injectors.

TARM

Reaction score
Ty,

I agree with your frustration. All I meant was this was really getting us know where. The pumps are no longer made and for good reason; I would think that would settle it right there. IMO, all it does is brings back all that frustration those that had these problems went thru. At the end of the day I do not think it helps anyone. It certainly was a ton of frustration for you and bring it all up IMO just puts you right back to reliving all that BS. I am all for preventing making the same mistakes but at this point that is really not a concern as far as I can tell. I also am not for rewriting history to make it something it was not.

I am sure there are those with pumps that did fine as you have said. One lasted we know 100K according to a recent post. Mine appears to be OK unless this idle issue I am having is from that but as you know from my PM it could be one of a couple things so I can not say. It sure ramps up ICP as quickly as I want and that with 200% that are fast. At the same time I am going to pull the pump and see what happens to the idle. Seems a stupid easy way to determine that.

I think other than those that make other HPOP offerings (as, come on, they are going to have a bias and it should be expected they are in competition for putting money in their pocket to make living duh!?!) all the vendors and 7.3 owners wanted this pump to work. They really really did. I know I did. They wanted it to be the perfect middle ground. I think that added that much more frustration to the pile as despite what others may say there is nothing current that can do what that pump did for the price and stock size. I think some did not want to believe the issues because of what it meant.i.e. this pump was having issues at least in enough that it was making real waves. Not just one here and there.

I do agree in never covering up issues as it causes good people to send hard earned money that will lead to disappointment and loss. I just hate to see people get all upset and reliving the frustration all over again.

Maybe I am one of the ones that has a good pump we will see. But I would be lying if I did not say I do worry about the possible outcome if its not. I can ill afford to pay for in time and funds to have my injectors that have next to no miles on them rebuilt.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I agree Tarm. I hoped it would be great! In fact, I tried to buy one when ver 1 came out but the supply went too fast. So I had to wait. I hate repeating myself buy I ran it for a couple weeks and then started reporting how it worked. And it was all positive. The performance caused me not to suspect it when things started to go south. I thought maybe it was supplying too much pressure and damaged the hpo side of the injectors. I removed the injectors and sold them but got tripped up at the flow testing and had to pay to rebuild injectors for more than I sold them for. It is what it is. I dont mind discussing it. I dont like being ridiculed for my reaction to it or furthermore being accused of misdiagnosing the pump.

I was not aware of them being out of production. It is probably a good thing. My biggest thing is, why not handle the situation? Even after all the personal bs and Gary lipping off, all I want is a good pump. Nothing MORE nothing less. I did ask to have him give me full credit for our exchange and id pay the difference for a different product. Im not sending a 1200 dollar part in or whatever it cost and not getting something back. I would send it in if I were given a clear timeline on how long it would take to rebuild and a clear explanation of what went wrong. If "a spring broke" was the answer id probably send that pump off as a core because a broken spring doesnt scatter enough debris to fill 2 sets of injectors with junk. Im suspecting severely worn internals. When ice water is the best tool to survey tye l3vel of wear and tolerance, things have gone too far.

The upside is Ill be paying particular attention to build and details on whatever pump I choose. I really was set on those termies but the two bolts in the front cover are a deal breaker. It appears the gen 3 is my only solution.

I am fairly sick of messing with this thing. Not sure if I said?!

If I could find a decent 17 ° id get some 238/80 or 200/80 even and just move on. Its kinda crazy to run a gen 3 for 250/200s

DocBar

Reaction score
I agree Tarm. I hoped it would be great! In fact, I tried to buy one when ver 1 came out but the supply went too fast. So I had to wait. I hate repeating myself buy I ran it for a couple weeks and then started reporting how it worked. And it was all positive. The performance caused me not to suspect it when things started to go south. I thought maybe it was supplying too much pressure and damaged the hpo side of the injectors. I removed the injectors and sold them but got tripped up at the flow testing and had to pay to rebuild injectors for more than I sold them for. It is what it is. I dont mind discussing it. I dont like being ridiculed for my reaction to it or furthermore being accused of misdiagnosing the pump.

I was not aware of them being out of production. It is probably a good thing. My biggest thing is, why not handle the situation? Even after all the personal bs and Gary lipping off, all I want is a good pump. Nothing MORE nothing less. I did ask to have him give me full credit for our exchange and id pay the difference for a different product. Im not sending a 1200 dollar part in or whatever it cost and not getting something back. I would send it in if I were given a clear timeline on how long it would take to rebuild and a clear explanation of what went wrong. If "a spring broke" was the answer id probably send that pump off as a core because a broken spring doesnt scatter enough debris to fill 2 sets of injectors with junk. Im suspecting severely worn internals. When ice water is the best tool to survey tye l3vel of wear and tolerance, things have gone too far.

The upside is Ill be paying particular attention to build and details on whatever pump I choose. I really was set on those termies but the two bolts in the front cover are a deal breaker. It appears the gen 3 is my only solution.

If I could find a decent 17 ° id get some 238/80 or 200/80 even and just move on. Its kinda crazy to run a gen 3 for 250/200s
The biggest take I've gotten from all of this is to not jump on the bandwagon when something new comes out. I still feel like a newbie in so many ways, but I've become a skeptical newbie.

m j

Reaction score
a broken spring would send a lot of debris.
the spring steel is a lot harder then the brass of the cylinder block so will chew it up quickly.

if you are scared to open a dead pump then maybe you dont really need to be in a DIY pump thread?

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
I really was set on those termies but the two bolts in the front cover are a deal breaker. It appears the gen 3 is my only solution.

Well, I been lurking over here for a little while. I don't quite understand your question/comment on the two mounting bolts being an issue. Those bolts are custom ordered and are a 12.9 grade 8mm bolt. Very strong. Yes, timing cover threads have known to strip out. A couple reasons: removing and reinstalling pumps/or a pump, over and over and over again and again... Over torquing the mounting bolts. Cross threading the mounting bolts. Using Loc-Tite on the mounting bolts. But pump weight has no bearing on the bolts. You see that thick aluminum snout on the front of the pump body(1 1/2 inch thick). That's a static fit design. There are hundreds of inline duals out there, with well over 150k on the system.

If anyone is really worried, hit up fasten all for some thread inserts. I think Riffraff Diesel sells the kit as well. Personally, I don't repair threads unless they are damaged, but that's just me apparently.

As for the Stealth issues: I have seen a few. A broken spring can cause damage, as said above. Once steel gets between the brass revolver, it will only take seconds to damage the smooth surface. Once it's no longer smooth, you will lose pump efficiency. Most of the damaged pumps are actually much worse then "a broken spring". It's usually several springs. I won't go into the reasons why they are breaking.

As for a Billet body, that won't make it any more reliable. There's plenty of room in there and if the body was the issue, we would see cracked/broken body's. We're not.

Fact of the matter is, dual pumps are and always will be king(what ever brand you choose, as I really don't care). The amount of volume is crazy and gives you throttle response that no single will touch.

Also, if guys choose a 238/???, any decent single pump will supply those well. If the 17 won't, then have it rebuilt to: which ever company you choose.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Well, I been lurking over here for a little while. I don't quite understand your question/comment on the two mounting bolts being an issue. Those bolts are custom ordered and are a 12.9 grade 8mm bolt. Very strong. Yes, timing cover threads have known to strip out. A couple reasons: removing and reinstalling pumps/or a pump, over and over and over again and again... Over torquing the mounting bolts. Cross threading the mounting bolts. Using Loc-Tite on the mounting bolts. But pump weight has no bearing on the bolts. You see that thick aluminum snout on the front of the pump body(1 1/2 inch thick). That's a static fit design. There are hundreds of inline duals out there, with well over 150k on the system.

If anyone is really worried, hit up fasten all for some thread inserts. I think Riffraff Diesel sells the kit as well. Personally, I don't repair threads unless they are damaged, but that's just me apparently.

As for the Stealth issues: I have seen a few. A broken spring can cause damage, as said above. Once steel gets between the brass revolver, it will only take seconds to damage the smooth surface. Once it's no longer smooth, you will lose pump efficiency. Most of the damaged pumps are actually much worse then "a broken spring". It's usually several springs. I won't go into the reasons why they are breaking.

As for a Billet body, that won't make it any more reliable. There's plenty of room in there and if the body was the issue, we would see cracked/broken body's. We're not.

Fact of the matter is, dual pumps are and always will be king(what ever brand you choose, as I really don't care). The amount of volume is crazy and gives you throttle response that no single will touch.

Also, if guys choose a 238/???, any decent single pump will supply those well. If the 17 won't, then have it rebuilt to: which ever company you choose.

Interesting first post.

Latest posts

Members online