DIY transmission rebuild kit...

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
#K100. Build your own Level 4 Enforcer transmission. Fits all 4R100 transmissions, 1998 on. You get all Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels plus all 4 Alto Power Packs. Red Eagle Power Packs and Kolene steels for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, Kryptonite Power Pack and Kolene steels for overdrive. You also get a Transgo Shift Kit, power valve, overdrive spiral snap ring, 45 element sprag, triple clutch torque converter (#3D6 or #3G6) and our 300M input shaft. The 2001 4R100 with the diode one-way clutch will have to be retro fitted with the 50-tooth outer race type sprag, see below (not included). This price includes the overhaul kit, carbon fiber band and filter. Add molded pistons, bearings, thrust washers, solenoid pack, pump and pressure valve if needed. You save $161.00 or 10%. All of this for $1448.00.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Ok sweet didnt see this. Not a bad deal. Im going to talk to someone about the sprags and stuff. I may get that kit it has a few more things than I had priced out.

MossBack

Reaction score
Ok sweet didnt see this. Not a bad deal. Im going to talk to someone about the sprags and stuff. I may get that kit it has a few more things than I had priced out.

Yea that is about the best all around kit I could find.

The kicker is finding anyone who has bought it and tried it.

I have brought this up before and it was de-credited by an over achieving NASA proctologist, whos opinion was that it's junk and to buy his for 4k kit instead. And reasoned that It can't be priced that cheap for part unless it was junk.

Take it for what it's worth and next summer I am buying that kit or a BTS depending on finances in new career.

TARM

Reaction score
So do you guys want to turn this into a project to build a full complete online guide to doing a full 4R100/E4OD rebuilds from basic stock to performance upgrades? Including full step by step written and pictorial instructions. From taking the transmission out to reinstalling it back into the truck. The full deal?

Or are you just looking to throw everything into the thread and let people dig and pull out what they need or can figure out?

To do the prior would take some commitment by at least a few of us to get this done and would offer the most help. It would sure be nice and helpful. Just not sure if any would be willing to help and take the time to get it all organized and do all the searching.

Not like this would effect those getting "built" trans from the likes of BTS, JW, Twisted. Those guys use their own custom parts, machining, etc. This might take a couple sales away from the local AAMCO or trans shop but thats it and I can not say I would be too sorry about that :D IMO the real benefit would be in preventing mistakes by the guy thats rebuilding his trans regardless cause thats what he wants to do or all he can afford to do at the time. It would help him get it right the first time and not end up have to tear it all apart over again. From what I can see when you get something wrong in a trans it usually means buying new parts as those that were wrong now are trashed and maybe others as well. Its the kind of thing you want to get right the first time.

Not to mention those that have good mechanical skills but are short on cash for full custom builds. As well as those that may have just lost a clutch pack or blown a pump, broke a shaft but the rest of the trans is GTG.

Brian@ BTS of all people got me into wanting to learn about the ins and outs of this trans. I have a brand new BTS sitting in a crate waiting to go in. Yet still just for my own edification I want to take a old one and tear into it and do a full rebuild just some I know I can and see how it all works etc... Brian is passionate about he work he got me interested in it all. Go figure LOL

Certainly can not afford to put BTS in each of my kids trucks so it would be nice to be able to rebuild them even thought I am sure my kids will be super gentle when they drive.:thumbup::angel:;)

I have done a good amount of searches and saved.compiled a ton of very good info pictures etc. One thing I am very good at is tracking down just about anything data info on the net, people, critters cars etc else where. I am good at research. At the same time on this I am not wanting to just throw it into a pot that will only be of passing use and nothing more. It took to much time and will take way to much time to post up to make it worth the effort for me for just that. (talking hundreds and hundreds of step by step photos along with others with written directions etc.) Especially when it seems about 90% of the people lack the ability to use the basic search functions on this site or Google for that matter or just choose not to. Some I think expect to be spoon fed any info they wish to have :fustrate:

On the other hand a few of us working together to build a full organized how to. That would be a bit different. That could be something that could be really helpful and beneficial.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I'm willing to help. I've got a core E4OD I could tear down and inspect if someone had instructions I could use with basic hand tools. It's just sitting in my basement not doing anything.

MossBack

Reaction score
I too will help I feel that I can contribute as I have pulled my trans 2 times and have swapped the torque converter and filter/ fluid changes. And if my trans lets go between now and winter I am pulling it for a rebuild. So let the TECH article begin!!!

bluedge8

Reaction score
unless my trans dies soon, it will be awhile until I can contribute, but I will when I get to that point.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Tarm, I want to try to make this a general knowledge thread (hopefully get a sticky) for people looking at What parts to use, what parts should be upgraded, and also the step by step of it. I get tired of everyones answer saying get a bts. Yes its a great tranny but I just need something strong enough to handle more than stock power. I want people to have the in between stock and bts option. I've already done a good bit of research too. I think we can probably get a good amount of info in here. Or i will start a new thread to compile info and not hijack the ops

TARM

Reaction score
Ok great. I just wanted to make sure we at least had a few guys willing to put in some leg work to make this a great how to. I think once we are done it could literally be put into a adobe print format. That way people could have it right there with them as they are doing the build rather than having to have the computer or PDA handy. Can't tell you how many PDAs, Phones, laptops I have killed using them in harsh environments.

For those that mentioned they will not be starting to do a rebuild until later that is OK. You can still help by looking up things like parts kits etc.

I am not at home now but will be this evening I will start to upload a large portion of the info I have already collected.

The big thing is going to be once we have all this info getting it all into a organized and easy to follow format.

Also do not forget if you copy what someone else took pictures of or copy and paste instructions they wrote just add a line at the end or beginning stating courtesy of (name or forum name or link to site)b That way people that have done the work get credit.

I think you guys are really gonna like what I have collected so far.

Does anyone know how many pictures you can link in a single post? I've got a few hundred.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I think me or you should start a whole knew thread named DIY 4r100 build info. Ill get one of the mods to patrol it and try to clean up the garbage just so when people are looking thru info they don't have to look thru 50 pages of people talking about stuff that just takes up space. I'm heading to work right now I'll either make it on my break at work or I will do it tonight after work. I'll pm you to bounce some things off you later I want to get as much solid info in there that we can since rebuilding an auto tranny can be scary.

TARM

Reaction score
Sounds good. I will take care of it as I am already home and working on uploads now.

Think I will go with 4R100 Rebuild Manual for the DIY

We can always get it changed if we do not like it or find a better way to describe it.

It will not show up until I also get the first bundle of pictures uploaded.

Figure I would start with Disassmebly as that seems fitting. We will need to get a full photo supported in detail step by step for pulling the trans as well to go at the very front. I figure we can work it in proper chronological order the events would take place.

Ya know first a broken down truck with driver jumping up and down on the hood. Then him and 3 homeless guys pushing it back to his trailer to start the work and so on and so forth LOL

MossBack

Reaction score
Would u add e40d as well in the title because they are closely similar and that is where I can add info and pictures.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'll try to get links to a few sites that talk about the rebuild. When i get home they have some pictured but i just want a lot of info in one place for people since there is DIY for almost everything else.

fatsix

Reaction score
One of the biggest issues I have had, that I believe to be one of the most important. Finding or checking your core to see that it is good for a rebuild.

What am I talking about? Case straightness, and good valve bodies.
This has been the biggest headache.

I rebuilt my original trans (bought the truck with a jasper rebuild). During the strip down process I noticed the case was cracked around the starter. I believe it came from jasper this way because of the way the paint they use was embedded into the crack. I took It to a machine shop to have it welded. They welded it, looked great. Come to find out later, this was one of the contributing factors to its failure. The case was not held "straight" before it was welded, causing it to twist. The pan would not seal right, and constantly leaked.

I also plumbed in the new external cooler inline with the stock one(Stupid) I didn't feel like taking out the rad to get the old cooler out. I did blow/flush out all of the trans lines, but the additional pump pressure pushed debris out of the cooler into the new trans, clogging the 3-4 and od valves. That was the beginning of the end. I dropped the pan numerous times, cleaned the valves only for it to last another day. As a last ditch effort I RTV'd the pan on, only for it to still leak. I also had a lot of stripped valve body bolts. Again, thank you jasper.

So as you can see, a bad core, coupled with my stupidity didn't work out so well.

Moral of the story;
Take your time and do it right, don't cut any corners.

Wasted parts:
Transmission core (case, valve bodies)
Torque converter
New pan
Complete Rebuild kit with upgraded parts (Most of the hard parts are ok)
15 gal of trans fluid (Yes 15 gallons, from flushing the trans many times, and cleaning the valve bodies).

I did find another core recently, but it currently being debated whether it's acceptable for a rebuildable core. I am into this for over 2k and have zero to show for it and its all my own fault.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Is this actually a common issue or did you just happen to get one that had this issue. I could see this on trans coming out of high power trucks or ones that were severely abused.

But hey I honestly do not know. I have not gone thru a salvage yard checking out the trans out there. I would just think out of most PU they would be OK just more the fact most never had any real power behind them.

But regardless in the text we sure can add case inspection along with all hard parts that will be reused. Was planning on it already but we can give it a bit more attention. I call talk to one of the big trans builders off hours and see if there are specific places that seem to give the most often or how big of an issue it is.

fatsix

Reaction score
I believe excessive heat can warp them as well. All of the garbage from a torque converter failure can damage the valve bodies and solenoid packs. They only need to be tweaked a little bit, then the valve bodies don't seal right and neither does the pan. I know of at least one builder that checks them and has a straightening jig. Mine wouldn't straighten back out... It might be as simple as sitting it on a flat surface (with the VB off) and see if there are any gaps, but I honestly don't know either.

trackspeeder

Reaction score
A good straight edge should be added to the list of tools.

Check the valve body as well as the case for straightness. Any minor discrepanies can be cleaned up with an oil stone. :D

TARM

Reaction score
Great this is good to know. Once we get everything into some sort of format for a step we can add it over to the other thread.

BTW I did post to ask a mod to amend the title of the thread to include the E4OD as well.

So anyone with some sort of info for those post it over there as well.

Funny I already had a number of PMs now asking if we can do a manual for everything from Fuel systems to engine rebuilds. I do not think some realize the kind of time and work commitment it is to do one of these things correctly.

I do want to actually do some of these but this trans one is likely gonna take a month before we actually get it to a completed manual.

TARM

Reaction score
OK before I post it over there I have a written directions for doing a E4OD. It was something from years ago by RacerX. It use to have pics but I did not save them back then damnit. Even the text is no longer on the forum I got it from. It is still in some archiving sites database but thats it.

I will post over there and lets see if we can go thru it and see what would need to be changed to make it correct for the 4r100 and if it just lacks too enough detail over all and we should just start from scratch or try to add to it over all for either of the version of the trans:

Ideally if this does turn out to be usable if we could match it up with the pictorial I have already posted by adding the steps that match to each pic that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

What would be great is if one of you could go thru the pictures and this instruction steps list and match them up.

The way to do so I can then put it together is make a simple list that matches up the step number to the picture name and number. That is one of the main reasons I numbers all the pictures and these steps rather than just tab them in. So just a simple list that goes something like this:

Step/Picture

1/disassembly 2

2/disassembly 5,6,7

3/disassembly 10

so on and so forth. I do not care if there are one that do not match up thats fine but lets get the ones that do match up matched up. We can take or find more pics and add more instructions. This is gonna take some work but the reward going forward for the us all as a community will be HUGE. The easier these old trans and engines and trucks are to work on the more people will want and be willing to. The more vendors will sell and the more manf will make parts for them. Plus is great thing to help others. May sound silly but I find it rewarding to help others and do things like this.

It will posted up in just a few seconds in the DIY thread. I have been working on it in another window for the last few hours. Wanted to post this here first.

dave186

Reaction score
I have built a couple of trans for myself and my buddies truck. I have a bunch of files I gathered in my researching stage. I could send them to someone if they wanted, I dont remember where I got all the stuff. At one point there was a real good write up I think by racerx but my bookmark for it is no good. Had a lot of excellent pictures.

I would be leery to build a core without knowing its condition or having it in a truck to see what its issues are, especially one that was already rebuilt before. You never know whats gonna be inside.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.