DIY transmission rebuild kit...

TARM

Reaction score
Dave you can seed those files to me I will PM you my addy.

Also I have that write by RacerX and already posted it over in the 4r100 DIy thread. Should be the last or close to the last post. Issue was I forgot to save all the pics it had linked to it so they did not stay. The org as you have also found is no longer up so I think the ref pics are gone for good.

Big Calo

Reaction score
Guys this has me stoked for my rebuild. I just ordered the ASTG manual and am now looking at gathering parts. I have yet to find a complete parts list as of yet but will be looking into it.

Does anyone have a complete parts list on what may be needed just so I can save a little time? I want the best parts that I can possibly get so that it will last for eternity at stock power levels, and I wouldnt have to worry about it as power increases to the point where I believe that major damage would be caused. At that point I would pull it and replace it with most likely a BTS, then the resale value of my transmission, should still be decently high because of using quality parts.

And for the parts search, I have a 4WD E4OD and will need to convert it to 2WD. I have a lead on this conversion aspect, but am still looking for other options.

Also something that I have yet to get a definative answer on is, what is the diferences between the E4OD and 4R100? When rebuilt, does it need to be done to E4OD (is what I have) or upgraded to 4R100, and are there other modifications that need to be done to make the 4R100 upgrade work?

I am planning on doing a video log of the rebuild as well. TARM has done an excellent job so far with the pictures and I believe that a video log will complement it very well and help to write the text for the pictures. With that being said, I have a good camcorder, does anyone have any good suggestions for a headcam that I can use to make the recording process a little easier, and handsfrees?

Also it will come in handy doing the R&R process after I rebuild my spare trans to go into the truck.

Companies I'M looking at for parts:

Converter- PI, BTS
Valvbody-BTS, Sonnax, JW
Clutches-Suncoast
Full kit- RacerX

Open to any suggestions

Last edited:

dave186

Reaction score
Here is a good selection of most of the parts out there. I believe its been posted already. If your looking for a specific "recipe" thats a little harder.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/e4od.htm

all you will need to make that 4x4 trans 2wd is an output shaft and the tail housing. easy to do during a rebuild. the 2wd and 4wd trans pans and filters are different but interchange. the 4x4 is just deeper and holds more.

The E4 and 4R both have strong points. It looks like your building it for an OBS so I would just upgrade what you need in the E4 that you have. There are a bunch of small differences between them. Case for 4R has holes in it for sensors, solenoid pack is different, pump is different because it uses PWM lockup which you probably dont want anyway. Then there are various differences in hard parts.

Hope that helps a bit.

e4od.com

Reaction score
You will need a copy of the ASTG rebuild manual. I can help you with the Updates as I have a Ford Factory Service Manual up to 1994 and have the ASTG Update manual I can share info about the updates. And feel free to use my E4OD Free Tips eBook to help you decide if you want to do your own rebuild.

http://e4od.com/index.php/2015-01-18-18-51-55

Most Rebuild kits come with soft part updates like the updated O.D. Servo and the Cross-hash clutches where needed. Additionally, recommend Sure kit for the accumulator and pump. There is an update for the O.D. Piston Snap Ring, don't re-use the .055" wide O.D. Snap ring and always replace the Output Shaft Snap Ring that holds on @ the Output Hub.

I did my first E4OD in 2006 and took my time and made an E4OD Free Tips ebook that has been downloaded 7,100+ times from download.com Some like it, some don't but, I think its worth checking out. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions about the content.

I am not an expert but, I can tell you from experience is that anyone who can due a tune-up; can use an ohm meter; who has a digital camera and "NOT" in a rush can successfully rebuild an E4OD to any performance level they want. And not only that, save a $1,000 too. I saved my brother $1,000 when I overhauled his 1995 E4OD and its still going strong after 8 years of use.

E4OD was Ford's very first Electronically controlled 4 speed automatic used in domestic vehicles here in the USA. They got it right (for the most part) because this transmission was designed and manufactured by a French owned company. There have been several design level updates for the E4OD with major updates in 95, 96 & 98. I don't recommend the 4R100 stamped steel Coast Drum or Reverse Clutch Hub as they are not as strong as the Cast Iron Versions.

Here is a matrix I am currently working on (its draft but, gives you an idea of the updates.

example_upgrade_matrix.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.