Doing rocker arms.. Anything else worth doing while I'm there?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The rockers on my truck are making more noise then ever and I figured I've gambled long enough..

So far I've got rockers, injector lines and ported fuel rails on the list

Are pushrods or valve springs worth doing on a truck that is only ever going as far as stock fuel takes it?

webb06

Reaction score
Springs aren't do able with the head on. Unless you buy an expensive tool, but I'm not sure who even makes one

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Springs aren't do able with the head on. Unless you buy an expensive tool, but I'm not sure who even makes one

I just remembered I don't want to have to pull my glow plugs out anyway.. They work fine and the truck has high miles.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

Actually it is, just turn the motor over by hand until the cylinder your working on is at TDC. Then use a spring compressor and swap them out one by one and repeat on the next cylinder. I'd also suggest ditching the rails and going with the valvetrain upgrade.

webb06

Reaction score
Actually it is, just turn the motor over by hand until the cylinder your working on is at TDC. Then use a spring compressor and swap them out one by one and repeat on the next cylinder. I'd also suggest ditching the rails and going with the valvetrain upgrade.

I said it was....but you have to buy the tool. Which for most people isn't feasible if they're using it once.

Unless there's some other tool that you use?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I said it was....but you have to buy the tool. Which for most people isn't feasible if they're using it once.

Unless there's some other tool that you use?

Just a standard spring compressor, but even with the head off you need a spring compressor. Whether it does 4 at once like the Swamps one or just a generic one at a time style you'll need one or the other to do it. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think it can't be done with the heads on.

webb06

Reaction score
Just a standard spring compressor, but even with the head off you need a spring compressor. Whether it does 4 at once like the Swamps one or just a generic one at a time style you'll need one or the other to do it. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think it can't be done with the heads on.

Post a pic of what you use. Mine has to wrap around the back side, piston side, of the head and hold the valve while the spring is compressed

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Either one like this, or the tork tool one we have thats cummins specific.

image_22167.jpg

Latest posts

Members online