donaldson/wix/napa/bhaf air filter (6637) diy

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
after a bunch of wasted money on trying to run two cone filters of different brands (k&n,afe,aem,amsoil) i decided to go back to the donaldson filters.... every cone filter i tried dusted my intake. after i modified my 4'' pipe to fit two cone filters i decided to make some room to use two bhaf's sense it would cost just a couple more bucks to buy the second filter instead of a new 45* 4'' elbow.

i pretty much cut all of the battery box sides off except for where you bolt it to the truck and the little lip that holds the battery down and slid the battery all the way over against the fender.... still had to dent the one filter some to clear the battery. i could have just made another battery tray and turn it sideways, witch would have been a better option and more room, but i would have had to lengthen the cables to reach the posts.... it does hit the power steering pump line that runs up by the cap but i just pushed it over and slid the filter beside it.

Attachments

• 2012-05-08_21-28-00_391.jpg
    2012-05-08_21-28-00_391.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 216
  • 2012-05-08_21-30-03_982.jpg
    2012-05-08_21-30-03_982.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Pretty slick setup! I just have one question though... What is your purpose for two filters? Looks? Less air restriction?

skew12

Reaction score
What differences have you noticed from the single filter?

Sweet DIY BTW!

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Pretty slick looking setup! I wonder how restrictive those pre filters are? Might keep the front filter a little cleaner from any crap that might come in from where the hole is cutout if you have that part cut out.. Then again mine is all hacked up and I have never really noticed much junk around my intake with the afe stage 2... Can you tell a difference in it over just 1 filter?

Tonka350

Reaction score
I was going to do this but I was going to put them underneath the engine bay so it gets more cold air from outside....still thinking about doing it...

Chad

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've had two air filters on for about two years now but these by far are the best flowing/filtering filters you can get for the 7.3. Lot quicker spool up's, hair more boost and couple *'s lower egt's. And yes I have the zoodad mod. But I just put pantyhose over the filters to keep the big crap out of the filter... the pre filter wraps look sweet tho, but cost more then the filter.

Tonka, just do the zoodad if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Tonka350

Reaction score
yeah I did the zoodad already, I just want it to be out in the open for the most air flow it can get. I saw it in a diesel power magazine...I think the truck "great white" had it on there in the magazine, it also looked badass!!! LOL

Chad

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Hmm I really might give this a try, because I have been looking to delete my CCV from the intake tubing anyway. I like how clean and simple my intake is now but if I could lower my EGTs and have some better filtration I think when get my truck back I'm gonna fab something up

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I tried the ccv mod but I guess my 38r didn't like it. It would smoke a little blue/whitish tint at idle. So I put it back to the intake.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yep, after years of running K&N on everything I owned (car's, trucks, bikes) and an AFE on the 96 F350, I will never, ever run an oiled element filter on a diesel.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I tried the ccv mod but I guess my 38r didn't like it. It would smoke a little blue/whitish tint at idle. So I put it back to the intake.

Hmm I have had the stock CCV system in place as long as I have owned the truck and while I havent had any issues out of it, I know that my stock boots were covered in oil and a good bit of oil came out of the intercooler... To keep it did you just weld a fitting into the piping you made? I couldn't really tell in the pictures

And yeah I really despise oiling filters, for one I always worry if I don't oil it enough it won't filter correctly so then I usually wind up oiling it to much and make a mess and it's probably just as harmful

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yep, after years of running K&N on everything I owned (car's, trucks, bikes) and an AFE on the 96 F350, I will never, ever run an oiled element filter on a diesel.
sad part is my first intake was the diy 6637 and i switched to a double cone filter then back to the good ole diy x2...
Hmm I have had the stock CCV system in place as long as I have owned the truck and while I havent had any issues out of it, I know that my stock boots were covered in oil and a good bit of oil came out of the intercooler... To keep it did you just weld a fitting into the piping you made? I couldn't really tell in the pictures

And yeah I really despise oiling filters, for one I always worry if I don't oil it enough it won't filter correctly so then I usually wind up oiling it to much and make a mess and it's probably just as harmful

i still have the stock plastic piece on it as a couple'r between the 38r's intake boot and the boot for the filter tube. so it is still hooked up in the stock location.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
also did some custom filter wraps of my own today. LOL did't have a clue that there would be more then one color of black pantyhose!!! i saw black on the label and didn't even think about it. evidently there is a off black color witch is the brown colored one.. wtf is off black, it should be called sh!t brown... the other is jet black witch is what i will look for the next time im at the store... my gf laughed at me when i told her i needed to go get some hosiery until i explained what it was for...

anyway, one pair per filter and made 3 layers, by the way they have to be like super big lady size to fit over the filters. LOL

Attachments

• 2012-05-09_17-47-00_53.jpg
    2012-05-09_17-47-00_53.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Dustin34520

Reaction score
also did some custom filter wraps of my own today. LOL did't have a clue that there would be more then one color of black pantyhose!!! i saw black on the label and didn't even think about it. evidently there is a off black color witch is the brown colored one.. wtf is off black, it should be called sh!t brown... the other is jet black witch is what i will look for the next time im at the store... my gf laughed at me when i told her i needed to go get some hosiery until i explained what it was for...

anyway, one pair per filter and made 3 layers, by the way they have to be like super big lady size to fit over the filters. LOL

Looks good, I didn't think they would. I'll have to remember that. when I do mine.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
does a dam good job keeping debris out of the pleats... dust is the only thing that gets threw... $.98 cents a pair, can't go wrong. i do get some chuckles when someone asks me what the covers are made out of tho.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Ah ok i see the stock piece when I zoom in. I knew I kept that 4" exhaust tubing around for something lol you have given me some inspiration to stop being lazy

Dustin34520

Reaction score
does a dam good job keeping debris out of the pleats... dust is the only thing that gets threw... $.98 cents a pair, can't go wrong. i do get some chuckles when someone asks me what the covers are made out of tho.

That's a good deal, beats $30 for a name brand cover. I bet you do get some chuckles. I can't wait to tell my buddy Jd about them and see what he has to say. Every time he opens his mouth I laugh.

Latest posts

Members online