Don't hate me.....which turbo??

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Some say I should go with the S467, I like the GTX4294r or 4202, Docbar has a turbo, but as hot as my HX55 got under full load for the first time, I want something that won't bury the EGT gauge. Get a waste gate?
Golfer told me that, having a manual trans, it's either a sled truck or be able to pull a trailer. I'm I fighting a losing a losing battle?

emev0l

Reaction score
The GTXr's are expensive, but if your good with the cost run a 1.01 exhaust housing and wastegate it. Between the 1.01 housing, your cam and headers it should spool pretty great.

How's that HB Jr. holding up to those sticks?

Are you intercooled?

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things with GTX4294r. If I get a build in without a turbo already picked I'm going to try one.

With a WG and the right turbo housing you should be able to do anything you want with the truck.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Yes intercooled. Banks intercooler.

Haven't ran engine enough too tell how HB jr does.

I don't have headers.

emev0l

Reaction score
Yes intercooled. Banks intercooler.

Haven't ran engine enough too tell how HB jr does.

I don't have headers.

Sorry thought I saw that in your sig

All 3 of those turbo's will work, I can't say which will be better for sure, but I would say in order from good to best, s468 .90 housing/GTX4294r 1.01 housing/GTX4202r .90 housing

I have not had the pleasure of using the GTXr series but everyone says there a little better then the s468, some say not enough difference for the amount of money, but that's gonna depend on who you ask and how much money you have

I will say I have the s468 and wonder on a regular basis what the GTX4294r would be like lol

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Call me stupid but, I didn't see THAT much difference with the S467 and my HX55.

Plimptonjr

Reaction score
Listen to your bank roll :D, if you can fit a T6 this one is all you. may take a few days to spool :popcorn:
IMG_0241.jpg

On a serious note, Garret has been around for awhile and can take some serious abuse. Is the gtx water cooled? That feature may be the difference you need but i don't know enough about it to say.

Doesn't the tune have ALOT to do with all that heat you produced to hurt it?

Sorry i'm probably not helping, hoping something i ask or say will set off a lightbulb:pimp: Good luck on the decision making.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
The gtx series are watercooled. I've drove a truck with the gtx4294r with a .90 and 300/200s and the power was a smooth as a stock truck. No turbo surges but ran out of air a little at the top. He switched to a gtx4202r with a 1.1? Housing and saw no real loss in spooling but much more air up top. Still smooth power curve and no driveability was lost.

I bought the 4294 for my truck with 250/200s so time will tell.

These turbo are also very quiet.

TARM

Reaction score
I am running a gtx4294 with a 1.15 housing and it spools very quickly and it lights very early and at the same time has strong top end for a turbo of this size. Whatever you do make sure from day one you install the water hook up. Hook in inlet to the heat hose feeding the heater core and the return to the one exiting the core.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I had a gtx 4202. It was nasty up top but a turd down low and hard to tow with. Went down to a 468 and love it.

Swaan

Reaction score
I still think a efr 9180 would be the dogs balls on a 7.3.
It's basically a s467 but duel ball bearing and a super light gama/titanium turbine wheel.

Would flow same as a 467 but spool like a 64 mm turbo.
Best of both worlds there!!

V-Ref

Reaction score
I still think a efr 9180 would be the dogs balls on a 7.3.
It's basically a s467 but duel ball bearing and a super light gama/titanium turbine wheel.

Would flow same as a 467 but spool like a 64 mm turbo.
Best of both worlds there!!
CompD has a couple fellas that are saying the EFR chra bearing assembly isn't up to the PRs that performance diesel applications are capable of.

Swaan

Reaction score
CompD has a couple fellas that are saying the EFR chra bearing assembly isn't up to the PRs that performance diesel applications are capable of.

Mmmmmmmm
I've heard some story's too. I do know bw had issues with the first batches of turbos when they first came out. It was to do with the ti gama tw coming apart at high shaft speeds. As far as I know they have addressed the problems and seem to be doing just fine now. They under go some crazy testing on these things. Unless your drastically over speeding the turbo, not sure why these turbos wouldn't be the cats ass.
Bd diesel is a dealer for the efr line. I've gone to there warehouse and talked to them personally. They say they have sold quite a few these turbos and they never come back for warranty.
Like anything, spec it for the right app and should do great. :rockon:

Latest posts

Members online