Egr delete nightmare!!!

german154

Reaction score
Well dad decided to do an egr delete and straight pipe on his 2011. Everything was going good till I tried getting the bolts off the manifold where the pipe bolted to it. All the bolts came out nice and easy till all of a sudden snap they both snapped off, never felt tight or anything that would alarm me. Now I'm screwed can't get them out at all. Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Did they break off flush with the surface in the manifold? Or are they exposed? Either way. that shouldn't be too big a deal to over come.

We always tell people to soak those bolts heavy with penetrating oil for atleast an hour or so before turning any wrenches. Seems to limit these types of issues pretty well

german154

Reaction score
dynasupa.jpg

This is what I'm stuck with, can't get an easy out to work. Thought about drilling them out and tapping new threads to get the block off plate on

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Soak them with oil for starters. Heat with a small butane torch always helps too. Basically you want to do as much as you can to unseize them before using all-outs.

german154

Reaction score
Had them soaking all night and all day today and still no luck didn't even try messing with the one yet still working on the first one on the right

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The one on the left you *might* get lucky and be able to grab it with a set of vice grips, enough to get it free. Depends on how much is exposed and really how seized it is.

Try heat and PB blaster

german154

Reaction score
I'll add heat yo the equation and see what happens one on the left won't budge with vise grips...I don't have that good of luck

PyroFighter

Reaction score
If the left side is sticking out. Place a nut that barely fits over it and weld the center of it up. Then just wrench it out.

german154

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to the 6.7's I'm more knowledgeable about 6.0's being as that's what I have. How hard is it to pull a manifold on one of these things

Mpoage

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to the 6.7's I'm more knowledgeable about 6.0's being as that's what I have. How hard is it to pull a manifold on one of these things

There's 3 clamps that need to come off the back of the turbo, 4 bolts that hold it down, and a coolant line on the drivers side. If you take the passenger side fender liner and the turbo heat shield out it will help you get to the clamps.

german154

Reaction score
Passenger fender liner is already out. I was thinking from looking at it that I had to pull the whole intake manifold and turbo to get to it...thank God I don't

Mpoage

Reaction score
Passenger fender liner is already out. I was thinking from looking at it that I had to pull the whole intake manifold and turbo to get to it...thank God I don't

The upper and lower intake manifold has to come out to get the turbo out. But the valve cover/intake manifold stays on.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Heat works wonders for broken off studs. I'd remove the manifold and try to remove the studs with it off the motor. Then you can weld a nut to them or just replace the whole thing if need be. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

german154

Reaction score
The upper and lower intake manifold has to come out to get the turbo out. But the valve cover/intake manifold stays on.

Upper intake manifold is already off...so lower intake manifold and turbo both have to come out in order to pull the passenger exhaust manifold off...correct?

Mpoage

Reaction score
Upper intake manifold is already off...so lower intake manifold and turbo both have to come out in order to pull the passenger exhaust manifold off...correct?

That is correct. I would also get a new turbo pedestal gasket as well as change the oil. When you pull the turbo up it will leak coolant into the crankcase.

german154

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the heads up...any other things to watch out for on my upcoming adventure? Anything I should look out for unbolting the exhaust manifold from the head itself

Mpoage

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the heads up...any other things to watch out for on my upcoming adventure? Anything I should look out for unbolting the exhaust manifold from the head itself

Not that I can think of. If you get in a bind just post it up here and I will respond as quick as I can. I'll post a picture of the torque sequence when im at work tommorow. I would also get new studs and nuts and a manifold gasket.

german154

Reaction score
Ten four it will most likely be Tuesday when tear down starts on it, got plans for the holiday. But thanks guys for the quick responses, like I said I've worked on my 6.0 and read a ton of info on it so its not a shot in the dark. This thing on the other hand, whole new animal to me, I'm not used to having a write connected to every bolt on the thing. Do bear with me, I may ask done dumb questions but trying to feel my way around this thing before it gets any worse

Latest posts

Members online