Egts

slc6oh

Reaction score
I know 1400 is the magic #, but now that i have an egt probe so i can have something to worry about.

Level 4 on my 40-210 sotf tune was 1500 id say by 1/8mi...

I dont even want to know what the 210hp file will do. Lol

Is it like a 6.0 and egts are just a #? Or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Is it like a 6.0 and egts are just a #? Or what?

Yep. Kinda like only having $100 bucks in your bank account is just a number and doesn’t mean sh!t. When Jomax shows up, he will tell you that he had his ‘15 up to 1800° on a WOT run. Some people have all the luck. 1450 is a decent high number to watch out for.

Jomax

Reaction score
I’ve hit 2,000... they get that hot when you have the foot to the floor for about 2 miles. I held with that M5, I was happy. LOL.

I never had egts stop me, especially unloaded. For towing. Only time I’d watch egts was when I was climbing a long hill. For that I kept it under 1400.

Worked for me in the 120k miles I put on my 2015.

All those miles were going to CA and every trip i’d hit 1800degrees.

I thought mine handled the heat pretty well. Maybe of I opened up the motor, it would’ve showed a different story?

I trade my trucks in every 100-120k, so I never care to find out.

04cr450

Reaction score
Agreed i had my 6.0 to 2k degrees multiple times. No issues.. i ha e heard folks holding 1300 degrees for an hour hauling loads out west.
I call bs on the m5 though.. the driver wasnt serious- that car will blow a 6.7 away with the mods you had. Our trucks are quick .. but for what they are.

sootie

Reaction score
Agreed i had my 6.0 to 2k degrees multiple times. No issues.. i ha e heard folks holding 1300 degrees for an hour hauling loads out west.
I call bs on the m5 though.. the driver wasnt serious- that car will blow a 6.7 away with the mods you had. Our trucks are quick .. but for what they are.

I was thinking the same lol my 650hp reg cab can't keep up with a late model one....maybe it was old?

04cr450

Reaction score
Even the old ones... that being said i dont know what mods would be needed to pull away from one(in a 6.7). The m5's are mid 12 cars all day long with a person that can't drive(such as me lol) and with one that has basic mods are deep in the 11's.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Even the old ones... that being said i dont know what mods would be needed to pull away from one(in a 6.7). The m5's are mid 12 cars all day long with a person that can't drive(such as me lol) and with one that has basic mods are deep in the 11's.

Mid sec 12 vs a 12.99 truck. He was pulling, but not as fast as he was hoping. It wasn’t too old of an m5.

Jomax

Reaction score

Never said I pulled away from him. He was winning hands down.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Im just over here feeling likr i have a 12” caaak breaking loose in 4wd. Launching @ 15# on lvl 4 lol

04cr450

Reaction score
Its all good. But you wouldnt have even kept up with him if he was serious, he was probably just normally taking off while texting and driving lol kidding i have no idea.. No bashing man just exaggeration can be had on here.

04cr450

Reaction score
He did not read my post correctly... a person that cant drive worth a chit can take that car mid 12... its a mid 11 car . Im just stating a stock(basic tuned 6.7) cant touch an m5.. its a car with a v10 in it etc etc.
But yea dam straight 12.9 is fast for a truck.. how the heck he made that time is nuts. I cant do it..

Reaction score
In general high egt's are bad because eventually when held to the floor for too long the engine starts to build heat and could eventually over heat.

In a 6.7 if it heats up the oil, coolant and other parameters above a certain threshold the truck will start to defuel, to prevent any problems accociated with high egts. There are defuel set points from the factory that help alleviate the potential of over heating. So if you keep your defuel set points adjusted properly you should never have to worry about burning up your truck.

sootie

Reaction score
In general high egt's are bad because eventually when held to the floor for too long the engine starts to build heat and could eventually over heat.

In a 6.7 if it heats up the oil, coolant and other parameters above a certain threshold the truck will start to defuel, to prevent any problems accociated with high egts. There are defuel set points from the factory that help alleviate the potential of over heating. So if you keep your defuel set points adjusted properly you should never have to worry about burning up your truck.

on the six liters and seven threes it was more the problem of melting turbines.

slc6oh

Reaction score
So, with my e g r blockoffs installed, and the doc inlet temp sensor now under the hood in place of the factory temp probe in the e g r pipe... and with tuning, does the ecu even know anything about the egts anymore?

farm boy

Reaction score
Gonna piggyback off of this thread...

I just did the full d3letes my 2013. Truck has 36k miles.
5" exhaust & No Limit EGR Kit. SCT GTX tuner & SCT EGT sensor kit, running Tyrant tunes.

My temps cruising at 60 mph are 900 deg with 2.5 psi boost.
70 mph temps increase a little. That's running the tow tune.

Seems to be on the high side to me. Truck runs good and still makes a ton of power. I'm not sure if I believe the EGT sensor since its still that hot running on a low power tune. Anyone have cruising temps that high?

I'm a little worried since I'm supposed to pull the camper out of town next week.

Latest posts

Members online