Elite Diesel Engineering - Turbo Kit Order - Only the Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigaF250

Reaction score
Completely understand that one and understand the time, money and patience it takes to train someone but that all falls into the numbers thing. Do what's going to get you ahead in the long run even if it takes a little extra time now, think if they had the proper machines and people to run those machines how much more efficient they could be. No more 7 day weeks or 14+ hour days in the shop. What's it worth?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

97stoker350

Reaction score
I was not stabbing at bts in any way please don't think I was. I was just stating that it happens to every shop or company that's all

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I lol'd at Mike's comment...

I'm going to give my view on this matter. I think it shows a real high sign of greediness on Elite's behalf which is very sad. When you have an expected time frame to pass on to your customer. Always give the furthest time to expect it and try to have it by the earliest that way the customer knows what to expect at the latest.

I think posts with comments like "I was told 4 months but received in 3 weeks" has a lot more credibility than "I was told 3 weeks but its been 4 months." Maybe at first some people may turn away and try to find other companies to beat the 4 month time frame that you told them originally to expect, but after several people having products a lot sooner and sharing that experience, people will start taking the gamble more often and you can hopefully keep getting the product to them sooner than expected, and if not, well at least you didn't lie to them in the beginning.

HD F250

Reaction score
This really sucks for the OP, glad to see you posted for everyone to understand your situation and experience.

I hope my build don't end up like this. Maybe I will get lucky, since mine is an old 6.4. LOL

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I agree w/ WoodBoy, I'd rather purchase something expecting a longer wait and receive it early than vice versa. If it takes 3 weeks, tell me 4-5 weeks if you're relying on other shops for stuff as well. I had the same issue ordering my aimpoint from LaRue tactical, website said x amount if time, but aimpoint was behind, so it took longer than it was supposed to(like a week or so). The extra week is no problem, if I'm told that at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Are you serious with this statement? For real?? Is this how you communicate with your customers? Super responsive on the order taking and nothing worth a damn whenever they get to it after that? Well that's good to know.

PS: I'm sure there are reliable diesel performance shops out there and I know there are reliable machine shops out there. Continuing to use unreliable businesses is ones own fault.

Communication present meaning, you weren't being ignored you just weren't getting the answers you deserved. Trust me, I've been on the end of no call backs/no emails while a large chunk of money was out of my possession. It sucks and there is no way to calm the nerves of those situations. Just like this one. I think you are doing what you can and doing it in a applaudable way. No bullchit, just facts. That's going to get you a helping hand much faster then the others who have succumb to emotions in these situations and been less than honest upfront. The situation still blows for both parties and like I said, I hope it works out for both.

I agree with you 100%. I gather you are in a successful machining business from the little bit you have posted about your career. I think the hardest part for small business dealing with big machine shops is setup costs. I know my machinist has me in a vice as far as pricing goes. I paid big up front for a hand on the back end. Picking up now and going elsewhere to start over would cost me twice. That can be a hard tab to eat for a little guy as Im sure you know. Regardless, derail over. Carry on

These turbo kits are tough business.
Guys need there trucks back on the road.
All companies are doing their absolute best to get the customers going.
The fords are good trucks you just can't push the turbo that hard tuned up.

Joe I hope you get the truck going with a nice kit soon.

I'm lol'ing. #loserdenial

Stroker04

Reaction score
If these companies have so much demand, is it that hard to hire more people on board to help pick up the load? Obviously there is a demand for these products and its not like our trucks don't break down..

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
If these companies have so much demand, is it that hard to hire more people on board to help pick up the load? Obviously there is a demand for these products and its not like our trucks don't break down..

Is the demand enough to justify paying somebody 40 to 50k (depends it could be a lot more) a year to build them, or help lighten the load????After all most can agree in a small business putting out another 40 to 50k or more to have another guy there. can be the difference between a profit and loss.

I do not think so. That is one of the biggest reasons company's have a hard time with this kind of thing. Either you do the best you can as is. or you hire more help an you might come out at the end of the year under instead of ahead.

That is one thing about being a SMALL business. you have WAY less play room so to speak.

Reaction score

It's not quite that simple. It's not really that easy to throw the money out to invest in good help with products that aren't for sale yet and brining in money. The options are, come up with enough cash up front and risk it not working or dealing with what you have and not overextending. Even thought the latter means a lot longer development and manufacturing time before products come to light. Most companies simply do not have large amounts of money to just throw at new products and hope they are successful and pay back. It think throwing products out there before they are really ready works to get interest built up, but taking money for something that's not ready to ship is another thing. I always try to have parts in stock or we don't actually charge the card until products ship. Taking the order and cc# is all we do till the product is ready. Then we run the card when it's ready to ship. All good when done that way.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Is the demand enough to justify paying somebody 40 to 50k (depends it could be a lot more) a year to build them, or help lighten the load????After all most can agree in a small business putting out another 40 to 50k or more to have another guy there. can be the difference between a profit and loss.

I do not think so. That is one of the biggest reasons company's have a hard time with this kind of thing. Either you do the best you can as is. or you hire more help an you might come out at the end of the year under instead of ahead. It doesn't have to come down to hiring another person. It is all in what the company wants.

That is one thing about being a SMALL business. you have WAY less play room so to speak.

That is something that ALL businesses, big or small, must lay out on the table and have a strategy. They have to sit down and find where quantity and quality meet and overlay, then they must take into consideration their dependents.

If you sit down and find out that as long as the shop is running at 100% you can produce 10 kits a week, don't have your sales man upfront selling 12 or 13 a week just to try and make that extra money and keep the customers from going to a different pace. Make sure that those extra 2 or 3 know that they will be on the next weeks work calender. On top of that let the last three out of the ten expect a longer time period than the first 7 just incase of the unpredictable. We cant predict the future for family or related deaths etc which play a huge part in small businesses, you have to maybe cut back the sales that week while you are down a man or two and have one guy on the phone immediately letting customers know to expect a delay EVEN if you never get behind.

You also got to take into account that most workers don't wont to work 7 days a week 12 hours a day. This can be hard on them, then it will become hard on their family and you end up with guys not caring about the quality at work because they have something else on their mind, workshop becomes stressful and hostile, then the great employee you loved either leaves your company and puts you in a bad position or their family starts falling apart and their mind isn't at work etc etc...

Money isn't everything.. Sure it is nice, but start getting greedy and see where you end up

HD F250

Reaction score
Taking the order and cc# is all we do till the product is ready. Then we run the card when it's ready to ship. All good when done that way.

I like your style Morgan! I won't be paying for stuff anymore unless it's in stock and shipping. My patience are growing thin in my old age. LOL

09stroker

Reaction score
That is something that ALL businesses, big or small, must lay out on the table and have a strategy. They have to sit down and find where quantity and quality meet and overlay, then they must take into consideration their dependents.

If you sit down and find out that as long as the shop is running at 100% you can produce 10 kits a week, don't have your sales man upfront selling 12 or 13 a week just to try and make that extra money and keep the customers from going to a different pace. Make sure that those extra 2 or 3 know that they will be on the next weeks work calender. On top of that let the last three out of the ten expect a longer time period than the first 7 just incase of the unpredictable. We cant predict the future for family or related deaths etc which play a huge part in small businesses, you have to maybe cut back the sales that week while you are down a man or two and have one guy on the phone immediately letting customers know to expect a delay EVEN if you never get behind.

You also got to take into account that most workers don't wont to work 7 days a week 12 hours a day. This can be hard on them, then it will become hard on their family and you end up with guys not caring about the quality at work because they have something else on their mind, workshop becomes stressful and hostile, then the great employee you loved either leaves your company and puts you in a bad position or their family starts falling apart and their mind isn't at work etc etc...

Money isn't everything.. Sure it is nice, but start getting greedy and see where you end up

Things are much more dynamic than that to be so easy....

Joe@Ideal

Reaction score

When my business was struggling, what really complicated things was I was the guy with the big ideas and the talent to make them happen. I was dreaming up new products faster than they could be produced. Most of what I did was on a technical level I couldn't delegate to my employees, or hire new ones with those abilities. Then I got backed up into the 7 day work week routine and I was spending all my time producing product and putting out fires instead of staying on top of the executive side of the business. The backlog and problem jobs caused stress and depression. New ideas, new jobs, new orders, was my happy place and those things tended to get my attention. I was disconnected from my customers, my employees and my family and it all came crashing down at once. A recession set in, lost some good employees, had a customer sue me, nearly got divorced, the business was hit with a 200 year flood with no insurance all in the same year.

That was 8 years ago. When I picked up the pieces I knew things had to change. I built the business back up training employees to produce the complex products. If they can't do it with limited input from me, we don't take it. I invested in software to track and manage time. I became in touch with how long it really takes to do things and how much room I have in the schedule. I try to stay focused on the big picture rather than that overdue part that needs to go out the door and I can't remember the last time I worked a late night or weekend because I had to.

The point I want to make is businesses are typically a product of their owners vision, desires and habits. It's very hard to accept that along with the failures as a business owner. The problems always appear out of your control.

HD F250

Reaction score
When my business was struggling, what really complicated things was I was the guy with the big ideas and the talent to make them happen. I was dreaming up new products faster than they could be produced. Most of what I did was on a technical level I couldn't delegate to my employees, or hire new ones with those abilities. Then I got backed up into the 7 day work week routine and I was spending all my time producing product and putting out fires instead of staying on top of the executive side of the business. The backlog and problem jobs caused stress and depression. New ideas, new jobs, new orders, was my happy place and those things tended to get my attention. I was disconnected from my customers, my employees and my family and it all came crashing down at once. A recession set in, lost some good employees, had a customer sue me, nearly got divorced, the business was hit with a 200 year flood with no insurance all in the same year.

That was 8 years ago. When I picked up the pieces I knew things had to change. I built the business back up training employees to produce the complex products. If they can't do it with limited input from me, we don't take it. I invested in software to track and manage time. I became in touch with how long it really takes to do things and how much room I have in the schedule. I try to stay focused on the big picture rather than that overdue part that needs to go out the door and I can't remember the last time I worked a late night or weekend because I had to.

The point I want to make is businesses are typically a product of their owners vision, desires and habits. It's very hard to accept that along with the failures as a business owner. The problems always appear out of your control.

Well said, but you went to hell and back to learn it. :) The military teaches you to lead and manage people and programs, I am grateful for that training the most! I don'r see much training in the civilian sector and I know businesses suffer for it.

Glad to see you rebounded from your mistakes!

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Investing in a turbo kit is all good.

Plus good techs and fabricators are hard to find so you just can't hire people magically.

Building turbo kits is just not that easy to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Investing in a turbo kit is all good.
You guys are all forgetting there is most likely a company out there casting a turbine housing that is a direct drop in product.
The housing will make s300 replacement a very affordable option.
Plus good techs and fabricators are hard to find so you just can't hire people magically.

Building turbo kits is just not that easy to do.

:lame2: What planet are you on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online