Elite z-max jr intake gains

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing one of these while my cabs up and getting it installed. Wanted to hear what everyone has to say about them. Gains, drawbacks, problems, other recommended intakes before I buy and why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47211

No experiences with that one but I have used and installed quit a few of ours on different set ups. I personally use one of ours on a stock turbo truck and also a single set up. Quicker spool up and cooler egt across the board. A lot of towing is done with these trucks as well.

As of right now we have the most affordable and give the best price for core return. Here is a link. We offer them with and without the dent.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
So faster spool times, cooler EGTS behind my 5th wheeler. How about economy

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I doubt there's much of an economy gain, but I doubt there's any loss either. It flows better, it can only help.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
That's what I was figuring. Just thought I'd see what real world experiences were.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Excuse me. How much

Disregard. Google is an amazing thing.

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
I love my Zmax Jr. The biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was an increase in throttle response. The truck came alive much quicker and seemed to come up on boost faster. Additionally, temps dropped about 50* across the board... Cruising, WOT, etc, and temps dropped faster idling and after WOT runs.

Never used to be a believer in intake manifolds until I had one lol. If you have any specific questions or need pricing on the zmax, let me know!

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I love my Zmax Jr. The biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was an increase in throttle response. The truck came alive much quicker and seemed to come up on boost faster. Additionally, temps dropped about 50* across the board... Cruising, WOT, etc, and temps dropped faster idling and after WOT runs.

Never used to be a believer in intake manifolds until I had one lol. If you have any specific questions or need pricing on the zmax, let me know!

My question is the difference between z-max jr and the all out z-max. On stock heads z-max jr will be all I need right.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Th zmax jr only has half of the stands milled out. Therefore there is still an interruption of flow compared to having all of the stands taken out. Your getting much better flow by going to a manifold with all the stands deleted.

Fuel economy as others have said I have not calculated it but as of right now we never do because it is what it is when doing "performance" upgrades. I see the theory it would help out but as far as a manifold gets x amount of better mpg would be a stretch imo

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Th zmax jr only has half of the stands milled out. Therefore there is still an interruption of flow compared to having all of the stands taken out. Your getting much better flow by going to a manifold with all the stands deleted.

So your manifold is ported and has all of the milling complete. Is the cap welded back on or is it epoxy glued.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
The caps are a threaded hex head.
You still need to be able to bolt the manifold down once it is on the motor and they go through the milled out stands In order to tighten them to the heads.
there has been no issues with any kind of leaking past the threaded hex heads.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Well I'm in the market for one. I just want to make sure the purchase is my best bang for the buck and not something wasted . I'm all about a fully ported intake.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Lots of conflicting data in here.

Elite sells two versions of a ported manifold. One of which is the heaviest ported manifold available to market. The biggest gains will be seen by going with this manifold, the ZMAX.

The ZMAX jr. is a budget manifold essentially. Having only the center bolt stands milled out. Still offers great gains over stock but at a much more manageable price for most.

Midwest Diesel has three stages of intakes and as well offers the option of upgrading to o-ring boss fittings and bungs in the manifold tops.

Stage 1: center bolt stands are milled out
Stage 2: all bolt stands are milled out
Stage 3: all bolt stands are milled out as well, the factory fuel bowl clearancing done in the casting, is milled out and is TIG welded in with a formed aluminum plate

We sell all of the above. JD runs the ZMAX jr. on his truck and has had nothing but great things to report back in way of gains. I myself have built my own. Been inside one with a mill and know the areas that need addressing and what the best way is to accomplish that. We(Absolute) have stayed out of the 6.4 manifold market simply because the two companies I listed above, have done a fine job delivering a product to market that works and does the job exactly how I would want whatever we would have came up with too. No sense to me in copying what somebody else did and flooding the market with it. Regardless, if you need pricing/availability on any of what Midwest has for intake manifolds, as well as Elite, feel free to let JD or I know. We would be more than happy to help

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.