Elite z-max jr intake gains

BBottoms

Reaction score
I've got a 'stage 3' intake with all the stands milled out and the dent removed sitting in the garage. I would really like to do a before and after dyno out of curiosity. I don't believe anyone has ever done so with an intake manifold only. I know there won't be huge gains and I'd be doing the work myself so it wouldn't be same day back to back dynos which may skew the data some. It's hard to justify ~$200 in dyno fees + travel, haha.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
That's what I want to see. Hard facts. Compare what works in what application. None of this seat of the pants miracle elixir cure all stuff. Just how I feel about things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ive been saying it for a couple years and it still hasnt happened. A lot of people sell products that have no hard before and after data to back it up. Hard to justify spending 600-1300 on an intake manifold with no evidence of it working. Or exhaust manifolds and up pipes with no evidence. I think the excuse I got once before was "its just too expensive and time consuming to dyno before and after on the products". Its the big reason you dont see any "kits" on my truck. The only one is the dual k16s and its because we couldnt produce it ourselves for what I bought it for.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Txlineman I see your join date is dec 13. So you werent here for the whole steed speed manifold debacle. Look it up. 2000 worth of manifolds and up pipes were hyped up, only to find out the lost significant power.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Yeah. I saw those when I started looking for a solution to my blown out up pipes on my truck after my deletes.

sootie

Reaction score
a ported intake manifold is not so much of a "power adder" mod as a great complement to most setups. i personally run a Z-max jr on mine as i couldnt afford a Zmax and Midwest did not offer one at that point.

the "hard facts" you speak of are quicker spoolup and lower egts. my main reason for doing a ported manifold was to increase air flow to the back two cylinders as the piston cracking episodes were on the rise when i was piecing my build together. now that i have run a ported intake manifold i will always recommend it as the egt drop and spoolup gains were plenty to sell me on the product. my results are very similar to JD's. that being said, Wayne told me that the lbs/min the zmax jr could flow was more than the heads could flow in stock form so i was comfortable with my decision.

on edit: i personally would go with Morgans (Sledpull) stage 2-as i said, it wasnt out yet when i bought first. also, i ended up doing pistons later because my block cracked and i was starting from scratch anyway.

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
^whs. I'll be getting Morgans stage 3x but with that being said, I'm not getting it for a power adder. I'm getting it to compliment all my other parts.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I'm jUst trying to maximize my cab off situation currently. I can only keep it off so long. So I have the studs going in, aluminum radiator, fass fuel system, 6.0 manis, elite up pipes, along with my current full deletes, flo pro elbow, afe CAI, Gearhead tunes. Debate is ported intake, CCV kit, or what.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I would get a low pressure turbo but I have stock trans. So I'm not trying to build tons of power. I really want to get as much of the cab off stuff I cab out the way.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I'd say you might as well go ahead and get one from whomever you like since your in that far, if funds allow. The ccv and other things you can always do later on.

sootie

Reaction score
go with No limit air intake and cold side kit. ccv no need to spend money on, just run a tube from the oil fill can out under the truck.

ported intake mani is worth the money if you are in it this far.

and changes on the turbo side of things? James @ Barder can build you a 73mm atmo for a very reasonable price and turnaround time is instant with no fuss on working out the core charges.....do it :evil:

TXlineman83

Reaction score
That's what I was looking at. I don't mind elite, Midwest, or even if it's a small unheard of local shop that's looking to just get by

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I run one and we have a few customers running one as well. I noticed a good amount of EGT reduction and throttle response was up a pretty decent amount. I'm sure it adds power but I didn't get a before dyno # to go off of.

Latest posts

Members online