Engine swap

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I bought a new, never fired 7.3l DI for my 2001 f250. It's already installed and with the transfer of a few plugs and my injector harness and turbo, fuel bowl, and a few other things I'm ready to go. Just waiting on my pcm to get back this week.
It has the AC injectors btw.

Does anyone see any problems with running this or things to look out for? uploadfromtaptalk1458482325649.jpg

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Sorry the engine is an older one. 94.5-97. That's why I'm wondering how it's going to work.

cbf9703

Reaction score
So.... Trying to decipher... are you asking about putting a 7.3 from an OBS with AC injectors in your '01 using your '01 wiring and injector harnesses, PCM, fuel bowl, and turbo?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Correct. I'm getting the PCM flashed for the new injectors btw.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
The block and heads are the same it has the 15° hpop, came with the water pump thebpcm is getting the 80hp city tune from dp tuning +AC injectors.
Just wondering if there are any areas other than the hpop that I need to upgrade or alter or watch. All of the sensors transfered over btw.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It should be fine. I think one or both exhaust manifolds are different. You may have some hpop/front cover interchange nightmares if you keep the stock obs pump and cover.

Idk all the differences from memory anymore. 94&95 have same hpop.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Any idea what size freeze plug would fit? I was going to do that but I figured leaving it in unhooked wouldn't hurt anything... I assumed that putting the OBS engine in the nbs truck would basically be upgrading it and that would be about it.
Just thought someone on here may know of a weak point or something on the OBS engines that I should be aware of is all.
Doesn't seem like there's a chance difference though.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
The exhaust manifolds transfered over and I used gaskets for them. The hpop does not have mounting holes for the fuel filter but it sits snug and I'm going to put a spacer under it and Make sure it's not going to be able to bounce around at all.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
So I've been trolling various PSD forums and found a OBS 7.3l for sale the poster said that if you wanted to put it in a nbs just change the oil pan turbo and front cover... Researched the covers and now I have another question. I did the turbo fuel system, oil pan and tube from my truck on the OBS engine long with injector harness, I do not need to do anything to the cover because Im using the OBS hpop. Is that correct? And if that is correct whenever I upgrade the hpop I will need to also update the cover ? I believe in correct but if anyone has any experience updating the hpop and or cover on an obs to current ones or aftermarket ones please share any info that may help me.
Thanks as always.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
There's no need to swap oil pans. What year is the obs engine you are installing? 94 1/2 and 95 have a different front cover and if you try to install a 17° pump you'll run into issues with the hpop reservoir draining. If you have a 96-97 engine you should be able to just swap on the hpop res from your sd motor and you'll have the holes for your fuel bowl and you can run the 15 or 17 hpop with no issues.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I'll have to get the numbers off the engine and try to figure out the year then.
Thanks for the info.
Right now it's all OBS. So it's fine right now. I'll just need to know for when I upgrade the hpop.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I'll have to get the numbers off the engine and try to figure out the year then.
Thanks for the info.
Right now it's all OBS. So it's fine right now. I'll just need to know for when I upgrade the hpop.

Just count the bolts around the intake plenum if there's 8 you got 94/95 if there's 10 you have a 96 and up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.