Engine swap

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Alright so I have ten holes in the air intake plenum so I guess it's a 96 and up.
I got the PCM and put it in this morning. Primed the hpop and turned the key over a couple of times and opened up the drain on the fuel bowl to get the fuel primed. Put the cables on it and she started up. Lotsa smoke coughed and ran ok.
Let it run for a few minutes turning it off every little bit and checking fluids as air worked out and added till everything stayed full.
Drove it around an empty parking lot for a bit and a few things I wanted to put on here before I get back at it tomorrow.
The rpms are kinda low 600 or so but surges up to 900 at times and it died once. The battery light is on the dash or charging light whatever it is. The power level is good and it's perfectly responsive when I put it to the floor. I'm assuming that the rpms are just air in the system getting worked out. Is there a good way to purge the air that I can do to see if thats it or just a wait and see if it gets better? My oil temp guage didn't move at all. The engine had more then enough time to get warm so I assume that it's bad or maybe a loose connection? Is that the wire by the oil filter?

I believe the light is the charging light and that I need to test the alternator while the truck is running what kind of numbers am I looking for while the truck is running? Obviously I'll check the battery's as well and probably charge them.
It's also taking quite awhile start up. It cranks just fine but take a solids 15-20 Mississippi's to start alot longer then i was expecting. Maybe that has something to do with the air in the system or battery's being a bit week or?...
I'm not entirely new to diesels but I am still learning alot! I am going to check my manual and do some searching on all of this of course and check everything with my multi meter tomorrow and charge the battery's and let it run/drive it around more. I will update with whatever i find. The alternator and battery's are all new or were when I took it to the mechanic but they stole several things that I know of so maybe they took the alternator too... Idk.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

joe d

Reaction score
It took about 5 miles of 45 mph to get the romps so to speak out of my truck after injectors and what not take her for a test ride for a few miles then see what happends. Glad she fired up for you.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Will do and so am I! First time I've ever put an engine in anything and with the PCM and everything else that's been stole or been different with this engine I was just a bit nervous when I went to start it this morning.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
A few wide open throttle runs are the best way to get the air out of the system. The extended starting is normal and it will do that until you have the air worked out.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Good to hear. I did run a few wot but I'm limited to my parking lot until I get plates Monday so idk how much of that I can do right now I did check all of my connections this morning and found a loose fuel line (slaps forehead) so that's fixed now and I'm fixing a leaky radiator hose then I'll start it and check the alternator and replace that of I need to. All the other connections are tight and dry so far.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Alright so I charged the battery's and they are both reading 12.29 and 12.28 with the truck off. Started it up and checked them and they read 12.78 and 12.79. Checked the wire on the back of the alternator and am getting nothing. Bought a new alternator and installed. Battery's are now reading 12.55 and 12.54... Alternator is still nothing and the charging light is still on the dash. I checked all of the fuses having anything to do with that light or the alternator and they are all fine. Connections are clean and tight on the pigtail.... I'm at a loss.... The engine temperature guage is still not moving either and I ran at for a good 20min. It's idling find just a little smokey but not bad by any means.
I'm going to start searching the interwebs... I'm really at a loss right now and need this truck for Monday so any help would mean a lot.

Arisley

Reaction score
Check that pigtail really good. I have seen them break off and the shrink wrap hold it together making it still look and feel fine.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
With the key on should I be getting power to the pigtail I can check with multi meter?

joe d

Reaction score
The one littel wire is what makes batt light go on and off.. 20 min at idel may not be enought time to heat up. Aka move dummt gauge.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I hate it when I do this!
I wired the damn starter selenoid wrong. There's 3 posts on it. 2 large and one small. One large post is always hot and the other is only hot when it's cranking. I had the alternator wire on the wrong post... I'm not sure how I managed that but I did. I put it on the always hot post and vwalaha! Problem fixed. So I have to test drive it for a bit but as of right now the truck is running smoothly and no lights are on the dash.
Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

joe d

Reaction score
So now all we have to do is get together and race lmao looser buys steak and a beer.
Glad she is running good for you.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Maybe after I do some performance upgrades and sabatoge your truck! I'll have root beer.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Maybe. Can't say I would really have time to do much with it. Not now anyway.

joe d

Reaction score
Ya i think that is the biggest issue but im learing sometimes you just have to make time life is to short. You have any more photos of your rig post them up hows it all look.
Joe

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
She's not much of a looker lol
The cab is rusty spent a weekend cleaning up and cutting out rust to try to stop it until I could replace the cab corners and undercoat it with something but the rust converter i bought didnt do anything at all... Nada. I may try again over the summer with something you guys can recommend.. Not sure if I'll be able to fix it or if I'm just going to wait a bit and put a new cab on it.
I really wish they made some kind of splash guard that mounted under the whole bottom of the cab. I don't feel like it would have to be very complicated or heavy. Just something to take the brunt of the spray spend a couple hundred bucks every couple years to replace it and touch up the paint around the edges. I may try to buy a sheet of plastic and make something of a template up and try it out for awhile. I know a welding/fab shop that could probably make something of a skid plate with some sheet steel for under the cab. Plastic would probably be better for for being able to remove it alone though...

joe d

Reaction score
Yea thats okay i have done my engine tranny and axels have not got to the body work yet there is some rust not alot but i think it hurts tje rice burners even more to get beat by a rusty 8000+ lbs truck lmao

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I got her plated and took her out for an actual test drive today.
She died once right before I got on the freeway but started up right away again. Drove for about 60miles taking it easy in the right lane and everything seems perfect shifts smooth turbo seems good.
On the last little bit of freeway I eased up to 90 and passed a few people in the left lane. Pretty damn happy with her.
Temp guage still isn't working.
I'll do some searching and find out where it is and clean it and test my connection. I found some info on it when. I searched so should be good.
Not against y'all telling me though if you know what's up though.
Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.