Engine temps

Twistedsteel

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first Ford 2017 F350 so I'm not sure what is normal with these. I was towing roughly 9,000lbs, up a pretty steep and windey hill so my speed was around 25 to 35 probably with an ambient temp of 55. The engine temp crept up a little on me, I think I seen a high of 225. I'm a little disappointed because it's only 9,000, I have a mini x that weighs about 10,000 by itself and it has me a little worried, especially if it's on a warm or hot day. My question is at what temp should I start to worry? Coming off a 05 Duramax with blown hg's so you can imagine my concern. Thanks in advance. Albie

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first Ford 2017 F350 so I'm not sure what is normal with these. I was towing roughly 9,000lbs, up a pretty steep and windey hill so my speed was around 25 to 35 probably with an ambient temp of 55. The engine temp crept up a little on me, I think I seen a high of 225. I'm a little disappointed because it's only 9,000, I have a mini x that weighs about 10,000 by itself and it has me a little worried, especially if it's on a warm or hot day. My question is at what temp should I start to worry? Coming off a 05 Duramax with blown hg's so you can imagine my concern. Thanks in advance. Albie

It's fine, personally I'd run 5-40 oil instead of 10-30 if that's what you're running, to make myself feel better. But lots of us have temps similar. My truck with 3000 mikes on it routinely hit 215 unloaded. It's lower now with all the extra volume I added to it. But it's pretty common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twistedsteel

Reaction score
Thanks, I was planning on making the switch to LE 8854 on my next oil change. And the temp did seem to come down pretty quick. It's a tough hill for sure, there just isn't enough speed to bring in the air it needs, the fan does its job it seems. What temp does the tstat open? Not sure on 16's, but on the 17 it's just a C to H sweep, but once it starts getting warm it shows it digitally above, it disappears at I assume 215* because 216* is the last I see.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Thanks, I was planning on making the switch to LE 8854 on my next oil change. And the temp did seem to come down pretty quick. It's a tough hill for sure, there just isn't enough speed to bring in the air it needs, the fan does its job it seems. What temp does the tstat open? Not sure on 16's, but on the 17 it's just a C to H sweep, but once it starts getting warm it shows it digitally above, it disappears at I assume 215* because 216* is the last I see.

I see 211 unloaded in AZ in my 2015. I wouldn't worry about oil temps in these 6.7s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online