external waste gate tuning/hookup.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I think he left the valve seal out. Hoping ol Mike has more brains than that (LOL) but if he did, it would probably do alot to fixing all this crap.

TARM

Reaction score
I just wonder how he had it with no lines hooked up and still got it to go to 45 psi? I wonder what is in that spring pack? They are color coded so if he opens it up we will know what the spring setup is for. IMO that would be somewhat helpful in properly setting things up so you know when its first cracking open. You could also figure it out with regulated shop air as well.

OSCS

Reaction score
sorry been out for awhile. The lines are hooked up properly.. its pretty difficult to mess that up given the diaghram. I talked with jake and yes the gate comes with a 25lb spring. I havent gotten shop air to it yet as i am pressed for time but I will get after it this weekend. Junkie, honestly i dont remeber installing the gate but i do remember it being fairly easy to go on.. I installed it on the turbo before it went in the truck. Im not realy sure what is going on as all i can say is that after running boost to the top of the gate it prevented the "leak" from happening at 25psi to 35psi.. im probably just going to pull it off this weekend and see whats going on if i dont hear something good from the regulated air numbers.

OSCS

Reaction score
I think he left the valve seal out. Hoping ol Mike has more brains than that (LOL) but if he did, it would probably do alot to fixing all this crap.

ahhhhhh i hope this is not for real.. the only thing left in the box was this..

363bd782.jpg

which im assuming opens the internals.

althought i dont remember installing a "seal"

OSCS

Reaction score
That's called a spanner wrench, you're correct on your assumptions

LOL that was suppose to be a joke..

so did you watch the video? its plumbed correct isnt it? and im still curious about this "seal" Now i dont know if i installed it or not are you just messin with me.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
That thing is going to skew your boost gauge readings, drop boost reference to your gate, and create a fantastic boost leak.

TARM

Reaction score
I was just about to post that.... Man I hate being late to the party. LOL

OSCS

Reaction score
Think I got it figured out. 7lb spring in the gate.. I haven't cracked it open to confirm but jake says a few have gone out by mistake with a 7Lb er

Blowby

Reaction score
So that is where the gate is opening.

Example:
xx Psi spring force + Actual psi on top when it opens = Drive pressure on your setup now.

A few things to check -

1. Spring force is not 25psi - Apply regulated pressure to the port on the bottom of the WG. Determine the psi needed to lift the valve.
  2. Diaphragm has a leak - Apply regulated 30psi to the port on top of the gate to see if it holds pressure.
  3. Ring on the bottom of gate (where valve seals) is installed incorrectly. - Make sure it is not upside down.
  4. V-Band clamps are not sealing - Check that the clamps are aligned and check for any exhaust leak in this area.
  5. WG is faulty - Remove and install V-Band plates to block off opening.
  6. Turbo has high DP - Install more spring force (stacked springs-smaller diameter in the center).

If the WG is functioning properly then the gate will only open when there is more force pushing up than force pushing down. It's that simple. Keep at it!

Wow item number 1 on the list, how did that test slip by :doh:
Hope it's the spring.

I moved the WG from the rear position to an easily accessible location so changing springs and inspecting is an easy chore with out any bad words coming out of my pie hole.

HP-WG_location.jpg

OSCS

Reaction score
Wow item number 1 on the list, how did that test slip by :doh:
Hope it's the spring.

I moved the WG from the rear position to an easily accessible location so changing springs and inspecting is an easy chore with out any bad words coming out of my pie hole.

HP-WG_location.jpg

Yeah I know lol! My air source and gauge are not reliable. I tried it but didn't feel like it was reading correctly. I need better tools. Thanks for the help btw

Latest posts

Members online