Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

SAK

Reaction score
My truck did it after the first oil change. The using rotella, switched to valvoline extreme blue and the truck has not done it since.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
My truck did it after the first oil change. The using rotella, switched to valvoline extreme blue and the truck has not done it since.

is extreme blue a pure synthetic ? i was gonna get my oil out soon just to get the assembly lube gone. and use royal purple. i figured that oil should be good enough.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Mike do I need to hook you up with schaeffers? Not many if any at all better diesel oils out there IMO.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is extreme blue a pure synthetic ? i was gonna get my oil out soon just to get the assembly lube gone. and use royal purple. i figured that oil should be good enough.

extreme blue is full syn.... i just changed mine at 3k to get all the crap out of it too...

since i have an abundance of valvoline premium blue 15-40 and delo 400 15-40 that i use in my two 7.3s, i just went ahead and used the delo along with 3 pints of schaeffers moly ep(got a case of it for the 7.3s too)... the click didnt completely go away but it is just barely noticeable.. if your actually listening for it, there is a long pause between the clicks and not at all steady like it was... who knows, it may end up being way to thick of oil...

Mike do I need to hook you up with schaeffers? Not many if any at all better diesel oils out there IMO.

prolly is the best imo too.. amsoil is the second best but i get that easier then schaeffers, do to my cousin being a dealer...

i know my 7.3s dont compare to the 6.7 but if the best oils i ever ran in them are amsoil and delo 15-40, ill use them in a non heui motor too... whats the worst that happens, i change the oil every 2500 miles like i do with my 7.3s?

live life full throttle

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
This is another opportunity for me to praise Amsoil 5W40. I put Amsoil in a customers truck that had the typewriter ticking noise that had been present since his first oil change and had been running Motorcraft 10W30 per the owners manual. Withen 100 miles after changing to Amsoil the ticking was gone. These engine will have quiet a bit more valvetrain noise then other engines simple due to the fact there are 32 pushrods and rocker arms but Amsoil help reduse the noise level.

Motostroker

Reaction score
By the time you get my truck for the mini mount, it's going to be time for an oil change. I'll try amsoil

hagan525

Reaction score
My truck has 33,000 miles on it and I just had my oil changed yesterday at ford and the ticking is there? Should it still be happening after so many miles?

FX4_Scorpion

Reaction score
Quick question guys, is everyone filling the oil filter completly up when changing oil ? Almost sounds like something is loosing prime maybe, strange it doesn't do it from the get go, just a thought . For my first oil change I plan on using 5W40 Rotella T6 Synthetic and topping oil filter off to the top & crossing my fingers !!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
MY two older duramax'ers ticked exactly like this one. Both were 06's.

This 11 I have ticks as well.... and as texasglassman said... mine ticks and keeps ticking longer into the oil change.

I'm not worried nor really care.

Diesel have gotten so quiet your actually just hearing valve clatter. Piston clatter. Gear lash clatter. Which translates into a "tick" once it makes it to your ear.

SAK

Reaction score
Well I changed my oil yesterday, didn't tick before and still not ticking now. 5w-40 valvoline extreme blue.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Started ticking at 9,000. Now at 26,000, still ticking... If there is a load on it, ie: accelerating, or steady pulling with 5 k or more behind it, the tick goes away. But idling, or slow city driving, with windows down, it is def noticeable...

Latest posts

Members online