Favorite 7.3 combo.

taterthedog

Reaction score
What would you build if you had do do it all over ? What injectors, turbo etc. I'm going to put a forged rod engine in my old pickup and wondering what else to do with it. Injectors are at MPD waiting on my to decide what size I want them, going to put a a new turbo, fuel system, HPOP etc. The truck won't be towing any big weight or anything, mostly a daily driver/ hunting truck.

What would you do?

Plimptonjr

Reaction score
sub'd

I personally don't have enough experience with these to throw anycombo ideas at you, sorry. Are there any specific power levels you'd like to achieve, budget you have, or are you leaving that open? Is your trans/conv done?

I had the usual stuff done and after my first track experience with the truck I think a good transmission/converter would benefit any power level.

:popcorn:

isootmypants

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love big power and a big single but my favorite....power was right there....FFD 250/100, t4i with 372/75/1.15, srp1.1, Carson's fuel, swamps tunes, bts, ported headed, di headers, beans plenums etc.... 606hp and lit fast as sh!t

bruce

Reaction score
Depends on how much money you want to spend. For ultimate reliabilty with stock forged rods I think 238/80 and a 38r would be the best combo. I wish I would have stopped at 160/30's and a 38r about 5-6 years ago.

SeeYa

Reaction score
What would you build if you had do do it all over ? What injectors, turbo etc. I'm going to put a forged rod engine in my old pickup and wondering what else to do with it. Injectors are at MPD waiting on my to decide what size I want them, going to put a a new turbo, fuel system, HPOP etc. The truck won't be towing any big weight or anything, mostly a daily driver/ hunting truck.

What would you do?

Its not what would we do, it's what didn't we do...:evil

7.3l Build

List of mods in link on page. Only change to list is it now has 175/80 PIS injectors.

Let us know if have any questions.

~Diane

2000wa250

Reaction score
I won't lie I'm pretty happy with my set up. 330/200 468 with .91 housing, dual termies and supporting. With a hand shaker it gives all the fun I need at the flick of a switch, but keep her on the barely sub 500 tune almost 95% of the time. For me I just like knowing I have the power there if/when I want it. Stock bottom end for now, but have a spare block ready to be built as funds allow. Only reason I'm going to eventually build it is for reliability. My dream is to have a daily driver that I can flip a switch and be at 700hp, or throw it on a tow tune and pull whatever I want.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No performance what so ever really, but I am super happy with my truck. If and when it's time for injectors it's going to be such a hard decision on what to do, I've had such great luck with factory.

Like I said nothing really power making...

GTP38R
RIFFRAFF FRX
BEANS TUNES
DRIVEN PRE PUMP
stock oil.

I'm sure many of you started out here. But going with a better injector, is the power really worth it? I strive for reliability and nothing but a stock hpop will ever be in this truck

ja_cain

Reaction score
Depends on how much money you want to spend. For ultimate reliabilty with stock forged rods I think 238/80 and a 38r would be the best combo. I wish I would have stopped at 160/30's and a 38r about 5-6 years ago.

Once I can find a decent forged rod block, I'm going with these small hybrids and a Bell BASB. Ill probably run the BASB on my PMR motor till I can source one. I just want the truck to be comparable to one of the newer trucks deleted. Not sure if this will get me there but I would think that it would get me close without having to spend 50 grand or more on a new truck.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I won't lie I'm pretty happy with my set up. 330/200 468 with .91 housing, dual termies and supporting. With a hand shaker it gives all the fun I need at the flick of a switch, but keep her on the barely sub 500 tune almost 95% of the time. For me I just like knowing I have the power there if/when I want it. Stock bottom end for now, but have a spare block ready to be built as funds allow. Only reason I'm going to eventually build it is for reliability. My dream is to have a daily driver that I can flip a switch and be at 700hp, or throw it on a tow tune and pull whatever I want.
This!

200% nozzle hybrids, Gearhead tuning, S467.7 fmw, 1.00 turbine housing, Swamps modded idm, Mishimoto IC, fuel system.

ZF6 truck I pulled multiple 18-19 mph hand calculated gps verified tanks.

4r100 lost 2 mpg off that.

Cold start/idle characteristics are like stock, tows like a champ, total smoke control with Gearhead tuning....like the quoted post...super happy with that combo. Not even sure the GTX4294R was even worth the coin to swap out the S467.7.....

psduser1

Reaction score

I think this is pretty accurate, it's where I'm at now, and staying, with my tow pig.
Got a bunch of other goodies, but they will go on a "toy".

taterthedog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I should give a bit mor info on the truck as it sits. Right now it's got a PMR engine with good compression on 7/8 cylinders. There's a BTS in it and it's got exhaust, intake, gauges, and a 6 position from Beans. Few other little things like intake air heater delete, etc. I have a forged engine to go in and got some intake plenums to go on.
My current train of thought is
250/200s, 468, HBjr, Driven Diesel RR with fuel bowl delete, and maybe some headers.
Just looking to finalize my plans. I'd like to be around 500-550 hp, and more is even better, but really, this truck is a beater and if it can fry the tires on demand, I'll be happy.
Long term pipe dream is that the engine will eventually find its way in my '79 Bronco.
Carry on with your thoughts everyone? Am I out to lunch? Or on the right course. LMK.

Last edited:

JD3020

Reaction score
Honestly i love my old set-up the best. 175/100's, 17* HPOP, and gearhead tunes. Truck ran great, clean, and cool. It was a set-up anybody could hop in and go. I currently have 250/2's with a 15* which does alright, but i plan on adding more oil and a 468 at some point. May end up just doing it all on my current truck as i thinking i'm going to ditch my other OBS build and just keep building my flatbed. Once i get my new fuel tank on it'll be pushing 8500lbs, so i'll need some more power to move it. LOL

psduser1

Reaction score
I should clarify, I've got 160/100, with a stick. Steel flatbed, dual 19.5s, maybe 350hp on the big tune. It break the back end loose at will, up to 65 mph on wet roads. Dry, it takes some finesse to break them loose, obviously better traction, but it'll do it.
It's no racecar, but 550hp, "might" be overkill, just to "fry the tires".

I say, what are you waiting for, and videos for our enjoyment!

Reaction score
I should clarify, I've got 160/100, with a stick. Steel flatbed, dual 19.5s, maybe 350hp on the big tune. It break the back end loose at will, up to 65 mph on wet roads. Dry, it takes some finesse to break them loose, obviously better traction, but it'll do it.
It's no racecar, but 550hp, "might" be overkill, just to "fry the tires".

I say, what are you waiting for, and videos for our enjoyment!
With 160/100s you should be closer to the 425-450hp range... Also, I've never had a bigger setup, but currently love where it's at now. But I also tow a 30" TT, and a few other smaller things, so that is what I planed for. Another note, I did have 160/0s and a d66, hated that combo for what I do, I was always under the turbo, and it ran hotter and smokeier with that setup, now its faster, cleaner and cooler.

ja_cain

Reaction score
With 160/100s you should be closer to the 425-450hp range... Also, I've never had a bigger setup, but currently love where it's at now. But I also tow a 30" TT, and a few other smaller things, so that is what I planed for. Another note, I did have 160/0s and a d66, hated that combo for what I do, I was always under the turbo, and it ran hotter and smokeier with that setup, now its faster, cleaner and cooler.

Again, 238/80's with 38r or BASB and you don't have to worry about the oil side so much (healthy stock 17* pump should suffice). They still have the headroom in case you want to up the nozzle size in the future.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Again, 238/80's with 38r or BASB and you don't have to worry about the oil side so much (healthy stock 17* pump should suffice). They still have the headroom in case you want to up the nozzle size in the future.

Ran this combo back in the day (38r and mini mes). Talk about a blast to daily drive.

01PSD

Reaction score
I would be completely happy with a 400-425 rwhp daily driver. Anything past that and I feel the wallet will NOT be happy in the long run as far as reliability/mods go. LOL So 425 is a goal I have set for my truck in the future..

Reaction score
Ya know, that's a great point.... Hope I'm not derailing with this question, but I've got it stuck in my head that atomization wouldn't be as good with 5:1 injectors, now for all out power I get it, more fuel is more fuel, not to mention the pump required and wear and tear it would take, but, if one COULD supply the heavy demand for volume and pressure required without suffering reliability , wouldn't a 7:1 version of X size injector be better? Or am I thinking about it wrong.

Latest posts

Members online