Favorite 7.3 combo.

02BigD

Reaction score
It's tough to compare a stock head/cam/manifold/piston etc etc to an fully built engine. Think about different pistons, compression ratios, head flow, valve size, exhaust manifolds, it's apple to oranges. As long as that's kinda out there, the billet 71/74 t4i that I have from Barder lights way earlier than the 66/71 H2e that was on previous. Cruises 80 mph on the highway 75-90 degrees cooler, and towing 10k trailer is 100-150 degrees cooler. I believe Carson's words when I asked him how he liked that turbo after he installed and test drove it were along the lines of, "well Dom I'll tell ya that thing lights like right now."

355/200's are the injectors.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Ya know, that's a great point.... Hope I'm not derailing with this question, but I've got it stuck in my head that atomization wouldn't be as good with 5:1 injectors, now for all out power I get it, more fuel is more fuel, not to mention the pump required and wear and tear it would take, but, if one COULD supply the heavy demand for volume and pressure required without suffering reliability , wouldn't a 7:1 version of X size injector be better? Or am I thinking about it wrong.
I raised the same question one time and I think it was golfer that basically said it didn't really pan out in real world testing don't quote me on that though ;) I do know that on common rail trucks as orifice size is increased there is not as much cavitation in the throught of the oriface. This cavitation has a significant impact on build up of deposits in the injector. Hybrid injectors could be more susceptible to this due to the reduced pressure developed thus reducing the amount of cavitation. Someone more versed in heui injectors please correct me if I am way off base on this.

TARM

Reaction score
Its true about the atomization but only up to a point and as soon as you reach the threshold between getting oil in and out thru the poppet for that larger amount of oil that benefit is gone and actually in in favor of the lower ratio as it will actually flowing more fuel from the same size nozzle in the same amount of time.

If you think about if you have two injectors both with the same size nozzles one with a 5:1 and the other 7:1 plunger barrel ratio the one that injects the most fuel in a given amount of time is the one that actually is injecting the fuel at a higher pressure. See once the injectors need for oil exceeds that of what is able to get in and out of the injector it can not longer inject at a higher pressure that it could before that limit was reached.

Flow bench after flow bench and real world testing has shown this time and time again.

From MY perspective if you are getting your injectors rebuilt and you do not mind a chip for basic stock level with a little more pep single shot A codes 30% nozzles after that I really do not see much of a reason not to jump right to 200% hybrids from there. The latter can be tuned to give almost stock idle and running quality and can of further be tuned to any power combo up to their max which IMO is over what a stock bottom end can handle at least for long. Certainly good for 600+ hp with air in the range of a gt4294 and up.

Once you step over the 200% nozzle you start to sacrifice street behavior, idle resolution/quality and clean running and without a doubt for it to me smooth needs live tuning and possibly a more than one session unless they can really spend some time on it. Again all only my opinion as what people are willing to tolerate or see as acceptable varies significantly.

For me I do not believe a truck meant for the street for its main duty should be hazing at idle, puffing with every very light throttle takeoff, and cruise control should work without surging. Those things becoming increasingly challenging once you go over 200% again only my opinion.

m j

Reaction score
HBjr seems too small for a 200% nozzle
maybe with only 250cc fuel
it is a stock displacement pump

taterthedog

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I'm personally gonna hold out for either a Gen3 or dual pumps.

Not gonna rock the Stealth pumps due to reliability.

Are your 250/200s hybrids? I thought a hybrid injector didn't use anymore oil than a stock stick.

JD3020

Reaction score
They are talking you're typical 238/100 hybrid, large hybrids can be oil thirsty when opened up. My 15* pump maintains 3100psi until PW exceeds about 1.6ms, then it drops like a rock.

David N

Reaction score
Are your 250/200s hybrids? I thought a hybrid injector didn't use anymore oil than a stock stick.

Yes they are hybrids.

And yes I hear that mess too. I wish someone file please explain why my ICP drops to 2000 at 95% duty cycle. That's with a stock pump.

bruce

Reaction score
Yes they are hybrids.

And yes I hear that mess too. I wish someone file please explain why my ICP drops to 2000 at 95% duty cycle. That's with a stock pump.

Because the pump can't keep up, but there are many factors for low icp, worn injectors, blown injector o-rings, blown oil rail o-rings, tuner calling for too much PW. Right now your pump is tryin its damndest to keep up but can't. Tuner could prolly write some new tunes with less PW and a little lower ICP and you might actually pick up hp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
With 160/100s you should be closer to the 425-450hp range... Also, I've never had a bigger setup, but currently love where it's at now. But I also tow a 30" TT, and a few other smaller things, so that is what I planed for. Another note, I did have 160/0s and a d66, hated that combo for what I do, I was always under the turbo, and it ran hotter and smokeier with that setup, now its faster, cleaner and cooler.

I wouldn't bet the farm on those numbers. A little more fuel with those nozzles and 450 maybe. Like 175s. I had those and tuned as I liked them it was 410 rwhp.

m j

Reaction score
Why so big when you can't even empty 300's in the allotted useable pulse width window

I can only answer that with hearsay
I am not sure if it was a phone call or email (dont see the email on this computer) when Jacob from Irate told me you could flow 330 through that nozzle in 3ms (or was it 3.5ms) when I was asking his recommendation between the 300s (that Stealth said the pump will feed), and the 350s that Jacob recommended.
from the info I found at the time Jacob and Matt from Fullforce were running 350/200 and the srp1.1
I figured Jacob and Matt know a thing or two about a thing or two so I spent the extra $200 to ride their coat tails with 350s instead of the 300s.

every time you post about 160/30s I wanna ask 'why waste your time with so small?'.
the tune can tame a larger injector down but not a smaller injector up
I sized my injectors to the bottleneck, which in my opinion is HPO

TyCorr

Reaction score
I can only answer that with hearsay
I am not sure if it was a phone call or email (dont see the email on this computer) when Jacob from Irate told me you could flow 330 through that nozzle in 3ms (or was it 3.5ms) when I was asking his recommendation between the 300s (that Stealth said the pump will feed), and the 350s that Jacob recommended.
from the info I found at the time Jacob and Matt from Fullforce were running 350/200 and the srp1.1
I figured Jacob and Matt know a thing or two about a thing or two so I spent the extra $200 to ride their coat tails with 350s instead of the 300s.

every time you post about 160/30s I wanna ask 'why waste your time with so small?'.
the tune can tame a larger injector down but not a smaller injector up
I sized my injectors to the bottleneck, which in my opinion is HPO

You better disregard that info. Matt helped me diagnose my failed srp1.1. Cuz it did the same thing his did. He isn't running his anymore either.

m j

Reaction score
You better disregard that info. Matt helped me diagnose my failed srp1.1. Cuz it did the same thing his did. He isn't running his anymore either.

so you finally diagnosed the issue? or still just blindly hoping

I pulled mine apart and it was mint

I had most of the symptoms you did and it was just a failing lift pump
put in a new a1000 and its back to being a rocket

mattman347

Reaction score
The pump kept up just fine, the reliability just was not there for me. I am now running BTS dual pumps and not a problem to be had!

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
My white truck was a blast to DD when it had 300/200's, 80/88, Gen3, A1000 w/reg return, and a working BTS.. Miss those days I could drive it to the store, then go run 12.0's all day.

And the 450 was a great tow rig with 200/100's, modded H2E, A1000 w/reg return, 6.0 IC, and BTS. Made decent power, moved the heavy truck pretty good, and once tuning was dialed in, struggled to reach 1200* loaded.

Latest posts

Members online