Finally got wheels and tires to show off the Carli setup

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
3.31 gears .. Runs fine but definitely feel the difference with bigger heavier tires .. I'm thinking 3.73 but don't know if it will be enough rather over gear than under gear I think ...So other option is 4.30 but that's a big jump...

sstrobl

Reaction score
yeah i havent really stomped on mine yet but im sure theres a difference. havent been able to find out what gears my truck has and im not sure how, any ideas? i still seem to have plenty of power for passing and whatnot

Betarocker

Reaction score
From what I've heard amp steps don't last in winters like we have. Gotta do a little more research because I like the idea. But a local place that does a lot of lifts told me they take more off then they put on.

I've had AMP steps on my truck for a decade and they have survived fine. I spray the linkages with silicone lube and use motorcycle chain lube in the gear drive. The motors and connections are sealed well. Bought a set for the new truck.

JRLott

Reaction score
3.31 gears .. Runs fine but definitely feel the difference with bigger heavier tires .. I'm thinking 3.73 but don't know if it will be enough rather over gear than under gear I think ...So other option is 4.30 but that's a big jump...

No way in h3ll I'd jump all the way to 4.30s. There was a good debate on 3.73 vs. 4.10 (I think) a while back.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
No way in h3ll I'd jump all the way to 4.30s. There was a good debate on 3.73 vs. 4.10 (I think) a while back.
I have 3.73's with 32.5" tires and I think it's a wonderful combo. 80mph is right around 2k rpm (70 is 1800) it gets out of the hole very quick, launches in second gear VERY hard and I've never once wished I had taller gears while in OD.

3.73's with a 32.5" tire is almost identical to 4.30's with 37's. And the 37s have a much higher rotating mass

I say take advantage of the really tall OD gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Off topic, but to the OP: what exhaust do you have on in the pics?? I like the tip, size, and exit angle of it. Also, how's it holding up to the elements? Sounds like you live in the North east like me, lots of salt/snow/rain...

JRLott

Reaction score
I have 3.73's with 32.5" tires and I think it's a wonderful combo. 80mph is right around 2k rpm (70 is 1800) it gets out of the hole very quick, launches in second gear VERY hard and I've never once wished I had taller gears while in OD.

3.73's with a 32.5" tire is almost identical to 4.30's with 37's. And the 37s have a much higher rotating mass

I say take advantage of the really tall OD gear.

Didn't say it wouldn't work. I said no way in h3ll I'd make a change that drastic. Completely agree that 3.31 is way too tall. I think it's too tall for factory tires, which is why I got 3.55. If they offered 3.73s I'd have seriously considered them. I've not ever wanted taller, but haven't really desired shorter either. Then again, I'm not running 37s, towing heavy crap regularly, or racing. Tallest tire I desire is 35, and only tow occasionally.

Just me. To each his own.

Layson

Reaction score
I've had AMP steps on my truck for a decade and they have survived fine. I spray the linkages with silicone lube and use motorcycle chain lube in the gear drive. The motors and connections are sealed well. Bought a set for the new truck.

Dang I have never done any of that yet. Mine have been on at least 10 years too....LOL

sstrobl

Reaction score
Off topic, but to the OP: what exhaust do you have on in the pics?? I like the tip, size, and exit angle of it. Also, how's it holding up to the elements? Sounds like you live in the North east like me, lots of salt/snow/rain...

It's a flopro 5inch with a 6" tip, 12" long with rolled edge. I really don't like the long ones I think 12 is perfect. It's holding up good but it hasn't been on very long, 6 months maybe. Polish it up every once in awhile and it cleans right up.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
It's a flopro 5inch with a 6" tip, 12" long with rolled edge. I really don't like the long ones I think 12 is perfect. It's holding up good but it hasn't been on very long, 6 months maybe. Polish it up every once in awhile and it cleans right up.

Thanks, so you didn't cut the tailpipe shorter to make it tuck under the fender that good?? I'm hoping I don't have to cut mine any...

sstrobl

Reaction score
I did trim the tailpipe to get it where I wanted it. Completely forgot I did until you mentioned it. I don't think I had to but you could see it through the tip on the bottom so I trimmed it back a bit.

Latest posts

Members online