Fluid vs ATI dampener?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
So if a person had a fluid dampener that he got in a trade would it be better to just keep the stock dampener on. I have one and just got done putting in a Melling pump. Was gonna put the fluid dampener on since I had it apart. I guess the question for me is the stock better than the fluid dampener not vs ATI. I am not going to be seeing over 4K as I have not done any valve work past 910 springs on this engine. I sure do not want to start eating up the main bearings or breaking the melling pump gear lobes.

I can't say that I've heard of any issues with that part on a 7.3.... honestly you'd probably be fine - but I can't speak to which is better between that and the stock damper - in the 6.0 world - no way.

TARM

Reaction score
OK. Well guess I will be selling a very lightly used Fluid Dampener damnit. Not sure how I even feel about that if they may cause damage.

TARM

Reaction score
I am not sure what to do now after doing some looking.

I would sure like to understand what was going on with the 6.0 Leaker and chewing up LPOP. I do not even know what there pumps look like compared to ours. I know I like the Melling build much better than our stock as far as lobe strength is concerned but have no idea how they compare to 6.0 stuff.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
House ran a fluiddampner,ask him. I plan on putting a fluildampner on my 7.3 when it's done. I balanced the rotating assembly with the dampner, still don't see a reason to get rid of it. Powerstrokestang is running a ati dampner, get his opinion.

EnterKO

Reaction score
May want to PM canadianredneck about the 6.0 related fluidamper problems. I have seem him post about issues with it when he was running one, but I can't speak for him.

Maybe he will see this and post up.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
House ran a fluiddampner,ask him. I plan on putting a fluildampner on my 7.3 when it's done. I balanced the rotating assembly with the dampner, still don't see a reason to get rid of it. Powerstrokestang is running a ati dampner, get his opinion.

Did i read that right, you balanced the rotating assembly with a Fluidampner installed?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Pretty sure. I believe they started with the stock dampner then switched to the fluildampner to make sure it worked. Could be wrong.

TARM

Reaction score
Pretty sure. I believe they started with the stock dampner then switched to the fluildampner to make sure it worked. Could be wrong.

Wouldn't that tend to mask any issues with the harmonics that are the result of not being balanced to within a certain amount at various RPM ranges? I could see putting it on AFTER it was balanced to make sure everything was still GTG and nothing changed. CYA kind of thing.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Wouldn't that tend to mask any issues with the harmonics that are the result of not being balanced to within a certain amount at various RPM ranges? I could see putting it on AFTER it was balanced to make sure everything was still GTG and nothing changed. CYA kind of thing.

I think that's what he was saying, they balanced it with the stock balancer then afterwards put the fluidampr on to make sure everything was still working right. Atleast that's what I think he meant

TARM

Reaction score
That is how I was hoping it was suppose to read. It was the first comment that got me wondering. But that seem right.

Blowby

Reaction score
Ran 80K miles with Fluidampner and all the bearings were A-OK.
Zane went to ATI on this build and so far everything seems to be fine.
I only spin it to 3800 so maybe the areas on the graph that look problematic are out of our reach. :shrug:

TARM

Reaction score
Yep I think I am going to run it. I am not pushup this thing into huge upper RPMs with any regularity if you can even call 3800-4000 really high in the first place LOL

Thanks guys!!!

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Yep I think I am going to run it. I am not pushup this thing into huge upper RPMs with any regularity if you can even call 3800-4000 really high in the first place LOL

Thanks guys!!!

Yeah as soon as I get my truck back I have mine sitting in the closet waiting to go on as well.... And hopefully a progressive nitrous system that I have been trying to round up as well after the pm you sent me lol

Latest posts

Members online