Forscan. What is it

ccmac

Reaction score
Will this turn off the fast flash build out indicator that my flatbed has caused? Went ahead and ordered a USB obd off of Amazon, going to give this a try...

JRLott

Reaction score
Will this turn off the fast flash build out indicator that my flatbed has caused? Went ahead and ordered a USB obd off of Amazon, going to give this a try...

Yes, it's in the link ckrueg posted...that and a lot more.

redneck1

Reaction score

I bought a USB model also, but didn't found out until after I bought it that it doesn't support ms-can which is apparently what you need to get into the goods with forscan. I'm hoping maybe someone will correct me, but I'm gun shy about it. Have to order the mx Bluetooth to get ms-can support is what I'm told.

KCCO

superpsd

Reaction score
I like the OBDlink stuff. I have the LX I use on a few rides. You need the MX for the newer CAN stuff. They also have the wired SX USB adapter. The communication rates are rated much faster than most cheap knock offs and they have a 3 year manufactures warranty.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I bought a USB model also, but didn't found out until after I bought it that it doesn't support ms-can which is apparently what you need to get into the goods with forscan. I'm hoping maybe someone will correct me, but I'm gun shy about it. Have to order the mx Bluetooth to get ms-can support is what I'm told.

KCCO

Doesn't support MS-CAN or HS-CAN? You need MS-CAN. If it supports HS-CAN, there will be a switch on it for that. Most adapters support MS-CAN.

ccmac

Reaction score
This is the title for the one I ordered "OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics" hopefully it works, should know tomorrrow. Was $29.

redneck1

Reaction score
Doesn't support MS-CAN or HS-CAN? You need MS-CAN. If it supports HS-CAN, there will be a switch on it for that. Most adapters support MS-CAN.

http://www.obdlink.com/sxusb/

Exactly, I'm the idiot that didn't check specs. I believe the Bluetooth and wifi models are, but some reason on the USB they don't support ms-can.

Just trying the tell you guys to check the specs. I don't care about brands.

KCCO

Last edited:

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
I think PDT1081 has it mixed up. All (I think all anyway) can read the HS-CAN (HS is high speed btw) which is really all you need. No if it has a physical switch on the adapter then you can switch it over to the MS-CAN (MS is medium speed). MS-CAN will open up a couple other modules to read/write, but the majority are HS-CAN: IPC, PCM, BCM, TCM, etc

Yours is normal in that it can read HS, but just by chance you didn't find one with the MS switch. That's ok, you should be just fine using it for FORScan

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
For Reference:

Attachments

• Can Networks.jpg
    Can Networks.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 118

O&G

Reaction score
Does the option "As Built" return/program the modules to their factory settings? Deciding if I want to use this to remedy a BCM bug I have with my front left blinker. I believe Ford did the same procedure a few years ago for me that fixed the problem for awhile. I'm using the full version on a windows based laptop. The software is truly impressive in my opinion.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Does the option "As Built" return/program the modules to their factory settings? Deciding if I want to use this to remedy a BCM bug I have with my front left blinker. I believe Ford did the same procedure a few years ago for me that fixed the problem for awhile. I'm using the full version on a windows based laptop. The software is truly impressive in my opinion.

No, As Built means its the file with the coding in it as it was programmed last. If you open an AB file it'll just be lines of code that tell the module how to operate certain functions on the truck. If you know what each line means, you can change the functions, i.e. DRLs, remote start duration, tire size, axle ration, and many more.

In your case, I would search for DTCs in the BCM and clear that way if there are any.

O&G

Reaction score
No, As Built means its the file with the coding in it as it was programmed last. If you open an AB file it'll just be lines of code that tell the module how to operate certain functions on the truck. If you know what each line means, you can change the functions, i.e. DRLs, remote start duration, tire size, axle ration, and many more.

In your case, I would search for DTCs in the BCM and clear that way if there are any.

I've tried clearing the codes in the BCM, but they do not go away. Basically a bulb out code. Under the program tab in Forscan it seems to give the option to return the BCM to it's state when it left the factory. I'll do some more digging and messing around with it and these particular codes. Lots of options with the software!

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Maybe that is the case, I could be thinking of something other than what you're seeing. Try it out and see

I think you'll need to download the AB file from the website first tho, otherwise how would it know what the factory settings were?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.