Found Joe's IPR problem.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
This may be way of the wall. Would there be a chance that your HPOP line are deteriorating?? and causing junks to get lodged in the IPR??

Could be, but they would go to the pan first and the filter would get most of it I would assume?

Also keep in mind I found NOTHING in the HPO res.

Aljay

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry until it sounds like this...

And I told you what I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***CopHIAe8&feature=feedu

Lower end rattle ? My split block did not sound that bad and I drove the snot out of it and tryed to gernade it.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Lower end rattle ? My split block did not sound that bad and I drove the snot out of it and tryed to gernade it.

Actually kinda sounds like it's top end...

But I think I loosened at wrist pin. One of those, "just because you can hit those RPM's, doesn't mean you should" things.

Tom S

Reaction score
I am going to throw in with the HPOP has something in there that is wearing and making teeny tiny particles clogging the IPR which has super small holes in it. Just an off the track question but were your oil filters from the same batch?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I am going to throw in with the HPOP has something in there that is wearing and making teeny tiny particles clogging the IPR which has super small holes in it. Just an off the track question but were your oil filters from the same batch?

Not following ya on the oil filters... One that was removed last weekend was a Fram Xguard, the one installed right now is a Motorcraft. I did not change the filter again yesterday, just the oil. If the issue continues this week (which I am sure it will....) I will change the oil filter next time and cut it open.

Wish I had cut the old filter open, but I was not having any issues so I just thru it in the trash which was picked up tuesday.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
This was from a modded 17 that was gettin worse and worse at holding ICP, and ended up leavin the truck on the side of the road during a trip. Owner had a 15* in the toolbox so he swapped it and finished the trip, then changed the oil. Think he ended up needing to replace his IPR very shortly thereafter as well.

HPIM6984.jpg

HPIM6970.jpg

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Could be, but they would go to the pan first and the filter would get most of it I would assume?

Also keep in mind I found NOTHING in the HPO res.

Yes they would go to the pan first.. IF they made it through the injectors. So with that i guess yall are right in it being the HPOP.

Tom S

Reaction score
Not following ya on the oil filters... One that was removed last weekend was a Fram Xguard, the one installed right now is a Motorcraft. I did not change the filter again yesterday, just the oil. If the issue continues this week (which I am sure it will....) I will change the oil filter next time and cut it open.

Wish I had cut the old filter open, but I was not having any issues so I just thru it in the trash which was picked up tuesday.

It was just an off the wall idea that if the oil filter was shedding some little fibers or something that could be jacking up the IPR but not enough to cause any other issues.

Good photo of the drain pan Tom.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Another vote for the HPOP slowly comming apart. Have you looked at ICP lately so see if it is where it should be?

I believe he told me he has had a steady increase in duty cycle for awhile now.

Yup, its coming up and up...

Going to drive to Denver tomorrow and see what happens. If it happens again I may just order a new one or find the nearest Ford Dealer and beat him up on there price.

Tom S

Reaction score
Central Motive Power might have new Alliant pumps for not too crazy up here.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Central Motive Power might have new Alliant pumps for not too crazy up here.

I'll have to google it tomorrow. I'm hoping if its going to plug it just keeps doing it on the Hwy and not in the middle of an intersection...:lame:

They in the Denver area?

golfer

Reaction score
so...did I miss when you actually put a NEW IPR in it?

I've never seen a bad IPR magically become reliable after "cleaning" it...(take a look at the 6.0L SPOOL VALVE issues, and companies reps that re manufacture 6.0L injs for reference)...

it's a solenoid valve...

once the spool inside the IPR get's loose...it can get cocked sideways and stick...and if/once it moves again (cleaned or not)...can actually cause metal transfer between the spool and its' bore...again...look to the 6L injector problems for guidance...

you could have something 'serious' going on....but unless I totally missed where you actually installed a NEW IPR....get back to me when that is completed.

fwiw

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I did install a different IPR and it happened again the next day. However it did not happen today.

So every day last week it happened, Thursday I put a different (used Clean IPR) and it happened Friday.

Did not do it today on my normal 200-240 mile drive. Tomorrow I only have about 100-140 miles so we will see.

Duty cycle was up to 30-32% at 1600-1800psi when cruising...

Talyn

Reaction score
IIRC, Bob's IPR's are "rebuilt" ipr's as well, not new.

Unless he gives you a choice.

I'm with golfer on this one.

Don't just start throwing out blame on Hpop's either.
If something got into the Hpop from elsewhere in the motor, its the Hpops fault then?

If you got a knock in the motor, that must be the hpop right?

just sayin.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.