Frame painting and protection

Strokersace

Reaction score
What is a good product to use on our truck's frame, axles, etc to protect it? Looking to do some sort of paint application that's durable, cost effective, and fairly easy to apply.

The body and bed are still on the truck but I have the frame rails stripped and want to recoat it with something since the factory undercoating/enamel is all gone. Also, this past winter with the deicer liquid crap they put all over the roads really corroded and surface rusting things more than I'd like to see.

Thanks!

jdc753

Reaction score
Not really sure what is the best, but right now I am going over mine with some simple Rust-Oleum flat black, its looking 100x better but can't comment on how well it holds up. Buddy of mine says he resprays his a couple times a year, but not sure how bad it gets or anything.

I've heard great things for Por-15. Also Eastwood's Chassis Black worked good for me before on small projects

jwlandry

Reaction score
I have duplicolor bed liner on mine that's in the aersol can. Been on there for a few yrs and its doing great

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I had just posted a question on these lines a while back. The two that I debated between was implement paint and Eastwood Chassis. I finally settled on Eastwood as I was not in a position to set up one big spray session for a lot of little parts. I used two coats of primer and of paint. I have been impressed so far with how resistant the Eastwood paint was to chipping off. It held up to the ball joint press.

Tom

Strokersace

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Will be starting to collect what I need next week.

So are I'm leaning between Por15, Chassis Saver, and Eastwood Chassis Black. I've heard really good things about all of them. Expensive but good. I'm gonna do some more research over the weekend. I know I can get the Por15 locally, but not sure on the others.

Matt_P

Reaction score
I recommend POR-15. I used it on the frame of my 6.4 and Im about to use it on the my 03 soon. Just be sure to top coat it so it doesnt fade. I used rustoleum gloss black and their clear for a top coat and it always stayed looking nice. Here are some pictures:
DSC00030.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

Strokersace

Reaction score
Looks dang good Matt! When you apply the frame coatings, are they a brush on application? Like I said I haven't done any research yet, just wanted to see what people have had good luck with.

I'm assuming that after you apply it, then you top coated with the Rustolium black and clear spray? Did you dismantle everything like shocks, etc to not get overspray on them? What about the bottom of the body?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I used SEM Rust Shield on mine. Brush on application. Not too glossy and lays out nice with no brush strokes after it dries. Still haven't found anyone else to choose this product...

1e453cc1.jpg

Strokersace

Reaction score
I used SEM Rust Shield on mine. Brush on application. Not too glossy and lays out nice with no brush strokes after it dries. Still haven't found anyone else to choose this product...

1e453cc1.jpg

How long have you ad it on? If you've ran it thru the winter months, how'd it hold up?

I know for a fact that I can SEM products locally too.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I've had the front half to the back of the cab for about a year now and the rear only a month or 2. I don't drive my truck in the winter so I can't really give you results from that but it has held up awesome against all chemicals and doesn't chip if you hit it with tools, etc.

I started using SEM products as of last year and I will now swear by them by the much better results I've been having with their products.

jwlandry

Reaction score
I've had the front half to the back of the cab for about a year now and the rear only a month or 2. I don't drive my truck in the winter so I can't really give you results from that but it has held up awesome against all chemicals and doesn't chip if you hit it with tools, etc.

I started using SEM products as of last year and I will now swear by them by the much better results I've been having with their products.

Ill vouch for SEM as well. Ive only used their interior paint but its some darn good stuff... Im definetly a fan of it.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Looks dang good Matt! When you apply the frame coatings, are they a brush on application? Like I said I haven't done any research yet, just wanted to see what people have had good luck with.

I'm assuming that after you apply it, then you top coated with the Rustolium black and clear spray? Did you dismantle everything like shocks, etc to not get overspray on them? What about the bottom of the body?

Thanks man, Im looking forward to getting it done on the new truck too. Yeah while it was still a little tacky I put on the gloss black rustoleum for the top coat then did the 3 coats of clear. I wanted it glossy. I didnt dismantle shocks and all that, I had to do it kind of quickly but when I do it on the new truck Im gonna tape around all the bolts and everything, I also did the underside of the bed with it.

Matt, what did you do to prep all of that.

Since my frame wasnt real rusty or anything or flaking I didnt have to worry about getting anything loose rust wise off the frame. I used POR-15s marine clean degreaser and then pressure washed it off the frame. Then used their rust converter which you let sit on there for about 15 minutes and then pressure wash it off and then I brushed it on. Never had one issue in the winter.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score

1e453cc1.jpg

We must have similar taste. I like your truck. I like the wheels you chose and that looks great too.

Im going to do this too when I pull my bed for replacement. Sick of having a rusty, oil leaker...

Tom S

Reaction score
Thanks man, Im looking forward to getting it done on the new truck too. Yeah while it was still a little tacky I put on the gloss black rustoleum for the top coat then did the 3 coats of clear. I wanted it glossy. I didnt dismantle shocks and all that, I had to do it kind of quickly but when I do it on the new truck Im gonna tape around all the bolts and everything, I also did the underside of the bed with it.

Since my frame wasnt real rusty or anything or flaking I didnt have to worry about getting anything loose rust wise off the frame. I used POR-15s marine clean degreaser and then pressure washed it off the frame. Then used their rust converter which you let sit on there for about 15 minutes and then pressure wash it off and then I brushed it on. Never had one issue in the winter.

Do your guys frame not have that wax kind of coating on there from the factory like mine does? I just cannot visualize a SD frame.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Do your guys frame not have that wax kind of coating on there from the factory like mine does? I just cannot visualize a SD frame.

ummm I dont believe it does, this is a before picture of what the frame looked like
DSC00021.jpg

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
I ended up steam preasure washing my frame, two coats of valspar oil base red oxide implement primer and doing 2 coats of valspar heavy duty implement paint in ih red with hardener. All for under 100 bucks

Last edited:

Cody

Reaction score
i sprayed my frame with raptor bed liner, used a different nozzle than the one that comes with the kit, cost was 100 bucks, prep was just with a grinder wheel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.