FTE Resonator

neverkickn

Reaction score
If you like turbo whistle and straight pipe chatter then DON'T install one.

Got one put on today along with my MBRP muffler and the truck is STUPID quiet..........freakin love it.

I can just barely hear a little whistle with the windows down and the coast clutches engaged when I let out of the throttle. Other than that, nothing.

I can high idle the truck now in the morning without the fear of the neighbors egging my stuff.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the MBRP muffler is what eats up all of the flutter and turbo whistle... the FTE resonator just "turns down the volume" on a straight pipe system and cuts the resonance

neverkickn

Reaction score
the MBRP muffler is what eats up all of the flutter and turbo whistle... the FTE resonator just "turns down the volume" on a straight pipe system and cuts the resonance

If I hadn't ran the MBRP by itself for a few thousand miles before installing the resonator then I might believe that.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
ok, so what you're saying is if you like chatter and turbo whistle, don't install one with an MBRP muffler?

neverkickn

Reaction score
I was running a MBRP muffler and the only thing that changed was the addition of the resonator.

There is no chatter or whistle now and there was plenty before. I attribute the majority of that to the resonator.

Think what you want.

Jason

Reaction score
I run 4" MBRP with the muffler, and mine whistles like a early '03 6.0 at parking lot cruising speed, or going through a neighborhood, but goes to a big block rumble under load. There's 2 ways to run a MBRP muffler, one way is louder than the other. I think if the baffles face forward, letting the air run through the little grooves and through the packing it's quieter..mines ran the opposite way, more straight through, but alot more "toned". Kinda like a 6.0 with exhaust. I'd like to get rid of some of the drone in the cab when towing..if you pull a trailer that has a front wall (enclosed, or gooseneck) it resonates off the frontal area, and is annoying as piss inside.

OP- so with the resonator installed, it's quieter through the exhaust on the outside?

neverkickn

Reaction score
I run 4" MBRP with the muffler, and mine whistles like a early '03 6.0 at parking lot cruising speed, or going through a neighborhood, but goes to a big block rumble under load. There's 2 ways to run a MBRP muffler, one way is louder than the other. I think if the baffles face forward, letting the air run through the little grooves and through the packing it's quieter..mines ran the opposite way, more straight through, but alot more "toned". Kinda like a 6.0 with exhaust. I'd like to get rid of some of the drone in the cab when towing..if you pull a trailer that has a front wall (enclosed, or gooseneck) it resonates off the frontal area, and is annoying as piss inside.

OP- so with the resonator installed, it's quieter through the exhaust on the outside?

Bad thing about flipping the glass pack with the louvers open to the exhaust flow is that it will burn them out much faster and pretty soon you are left with a straight pipe.

To answer your question though it is almost stock quiet from the outside and the only time I hear in cab rumble is under wot.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
it won't be like straight pipe

pretty much every 18 wheeler you see has mufflers with zero packing in them. just perforated tubes and/or baffles

Jason

Reaction score
Kinda what I figured. I didn't know any better when I mounted mine baffles to the back, something about baffles forward seemed funny. I just like how the muffler has enough to it, to get rid of the splatter sound of a straight piped 7.3. I dunno if I necessarily want it quieter outside the truck..wouldn't bitch about it, but wouldn't spend the money to make it quieter..would live to get rid of that little drone I got. I'm too old, the whistle out of the exhaust while cool, is even a little annoying...if I quiet down the exhaust, my next issue will be that damn turbo :/ vicious cycle lol.

bbbxcursion

Reaction score
The 30" FTE is what made my truck so drivable. Go get one, you will not be disappointed.

neverkickn

Reaction score
so was it the resonator that got rid of the drone? I've been looking at that FTE res for awhile.

Yes, I added the resonator along with the glass pack and the drone is gone. I still sounds kinda throaty when I floor it, but at cruising speed and idle it sounds almost stock.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yes, I added the resonator along with the glass pack and the drone is gone. I still sounds kinda throaty when I floor it, but at cruising speed and idle it sounds almost stock.

Not sure I care for glass pack since those do burn out, but the resonator definately interests me, I need to measure and see if I even have 30" under the truck, BD brake takes up some room but may be able to relocate. FTE makes a muffler too so may think about doing a combo.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.